Best Gas to use and any additives? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Pennsylvania
Best Gas to use and any additives?

I purchased a low miles, 39k, 1996 SVT Cobra in July. Previous owner really took care of it. As far as Gas he only used Shell 93 and recommended I do the same. I'm fine with that because I know it's good gas but the nearest shell station is about 20 miles away. When we're near one we always fill up. But 2 blocks from my house is a Sunoco. When I can't get to Shell I use Sunoco 93. Any other suggestions as far as gas? I know to stay away from cheap places. Also should I be using any additives? Once it snows she will be garaged till spring. I guess I should add stabilizer. Should I fill the tank? Thanks, Spiney-Dave

Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: North Carolina
What type of gas you get is a real touchy subject. I used to only get the premium type gas (shell, amoco, bp) and then found that it really doesn't make much of a difference. For example, BP/Amoco sells there gas to places such as 7-11, Walmart, Citgo. It's the same gas with a different label. The only difference is a minor and insignificant amount of some additive so Ty can say on commercials it's got some sort of cleaning property or what not. Depending on where you are at, it might not cost you anymore for say BP gas than 7-11 gas. If that's the case, stay with what you know. But if you are like me, these so called premium gas stations cost anywhere from 10 - 30 cents more per gallon. That is not worth it for no additional benefit. Save our money.

aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: New Mexico
As long as it's premium or higher you'll be good. But of course dont sell out to local gas stations to save a few cents. Our beauties dont deserve that.
I love speed and Nascar driving,,,
killing gears and dodging traffic,,,
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Don't run anything under 91 unless you want your engine to start knocking.
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Best Gas to use and any additives?

many people assume a higher number is superior..... its not always. Your car has a tune in it, and a set of timing to use. This is based on the octane it was tuned for. If your car was tuned for regular then you should run regular.

Most high performance tunes tune the car for premium and this means they raise the timing on the engine and premium fuel is required to allow the car to run that higher timing without detonation.

Research detonation, it sounds like marbles bouncing around and is VERY bad. Older cars had issues with this (due to their timing etc) and ran higher octane to solve it~

I would run fuel injection cleaner every oil change, change the fuel filter EVERY 12k miles and consider seafoam (product) for the oil/gas/vacuum lines every year or maybe 25k etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
U can put in any type of brand gas you can find. Just make sure you put the correct OCTANE in it.

Aside from ethonol, The difference in gas brands is pretty much the additives i think. A cheaper gas station may cause more build up in your engine over time. .

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Id say if you use anything other than shell or chevron throw some engine treatment in there every so often, or as instructed.

Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang