Gas cap check engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2011, 08:36 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gas cap check engine

When I bought my car (98 cobra) the guy told me when I pumped gas to make sure I closed the cap really tight cuz the check engine light would go off. When I put gas I remembered to tighten it really well but the check engine light is still there. I've tried turning it and stuff but doesn't do much. Any opinions?
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Best thing to do would be to have AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts hook up their code reader and see what code(s) your ECM is throwing. Then take it from there. Good luck!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a good idea ! Thanks man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Pressure test your fuel cap and gas tank. Sounds like the evap system is detecting a leak. It may just be a bad fuel cap. But yea see if you can get those code/codes pulled.
ridethepony02gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethepony02gt
Pressure test your fuel cap and gas tank. Sounds like the evap system is detecting a leak. It may just be a bad fuel cap. But yea see if you can get those code/codes pulled.
How can i get a pressure test? And yeah I went to auto zone but I guess the one in my town doesn't have the thing for the codes. U guys think a smog shop could pull the codes for me?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

A smog shop does that as part of a smog check. If they'll do that only I don't know. Go to a local shop like firestone and ask a tech if he can vacuum test your gas cap. It only takes a second. Basically its a cylinder tube with a plunger on one end and a rubber hose on the other with different fittings for different size caps. Then you pump it and it applies vacuum and if the gauge holds and doesn't drop pressure then you gas cap is fine. If thats cool then you have a leak in your evap which is like finding a needle in a hay stack.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

How can i get a pressure test? And yeah I went to auto zone but I guess the one in my town doesn't have the thing for the codes. U guys think a smog shop could pull the codes for me?
Seriusly? That's bogus... um most shops will pull error codes for free... your issue is likely a gas cap. 10$ fix. Could be a charcoal canister, 60$ plus dropping the gas tank... hell could be just a little pressure leak. Either way your looking at shop time to fix if its not a cap.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If its an evap leak then you have to take it to a shop. What they do then is hook your evap canister to a machine that is basically a fog machine and pressurize your system. Where ever they see the fog leaking from is where your leak or hole is. Evaps are very very sensitive. A pin size hole with throw a code.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

When I worked at Honda and Ford I hated evap problems. There sometimes hard to find the leak.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Damn well let's hope for the best and just hope it's the gas cap! Any special kind of gas cap for these mustangs or are they all the same? I think it might just be the cap cuz when the guy sold it to me he told me u had to turn the cap just perfect for the light to go off and when I drove it it was fine until I went to fuel up. Lol. So I'm hoping it's just the cap
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt
Damn well let's hope for the best and just hope it's the gas cap! Any special kind of gas cap for these mustangs or are they all the same? I think it might just be the cap cuz when the guy sold it to me he told me u had to turn the cap just perfect for the light to go off and when I drove it it was fine until I went to fuel up. Lol. So I'm hoping it's just the cap
Go to a parts store and get one that locks properly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Tags
check engine