How much hp? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How much hp?

How much hp can my stock engine hold up to on my 98 cobra? I want to make it into a beast but I want to know what my limit is...I've been wanting to get forged internals cuz I know my stock ones won't hold up. Also wanted to get an inter cooler for my vortech. Then hopefully push around 14-16 psi if not more. What's your guys' opinions on this? I plan to keep this car for a long time so I want to make it as solid as possible.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

I also wanna either upgrade my t45 or swap it for a t56. I would like to keep my 5 spd but if it would be a better deal to just swap it then I would just do that.
vinnygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Well the 98 (93-98) block is know as the Teskid aluminum block. It has been proven to be if not the most desireable block. And can be prepped to handle 1500hp. So you have no worries.
32vNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nice. Thanks man. Good to hear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The block will take that much, the rods in it are only going to be good to 550tq. If you really wanna build up a big boost engine you should throw in a forged kit.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
The block will take that much, the rods in it are only going to be good to 550tq. If you really wanna build up a big boost engine you should throw in a forged kit.
Well that's what I wanna do. I wanna make everything internally forged but it's gonna take a lot of money. Lol. So I'm not going to do it all at once
Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnygt

Well that's what I wanna do. I wanna make everything internally forged but it's gonna take a lot of money. Lol. So I'm not going to do it all at once
About 1600 for a stroker kit check modmax out
Old 02-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vNomad

About 1600 for a stroker kit check modmax out
That's not bad. Thanks I'll def check it out

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

So for all those kits I would have to bore out my engine?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You should have the block checked out. Make sure the journals are straight, decks are trued and your bores are over .020 for a total 3.572in
Old 02-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

These are just a few photos of my build

Attachment 40663

Attachment 40664

Attachment 40666
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should have the block checked out. Make sure the journals are straight, decks are trued and your bores are over .020 for a total 3.572in
I'll probably just have a performance shop do the install for me. Now that I know the prices i wont let them rip me off lol. How much would u guys estimate for an install? Not including parts
Old 02-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: How much hp?

stock probably around 450rwhp to be safe if the tune is good~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
These are just a few photos of my build
What kind of engine stand is that?
ForsakenProto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll probably just have a performance shop do the install for me. Now that I know the prices i wont let them rip me off lol. How much would u guys estimate for an install? Not including parts
Well a typical swap for a regular garage for book time is 7 to 10 hrs approximent so depends what labor rates you can get. I myself had a good machine shop do my prepping. They did excellent work. I had them bore and deck the block. Had them true the journals. It cost about 300 for the block. Then I had my heads cleaned and shaved. About 400 in machine work. But I do my own assembly and tweaks.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well a typical swap for a regular garage for book time is 7 to 10 hrs approximent so depends what labor rates you can get. I myself had a good machine shop do my prepping. They did excellent work. I had them bore and deck the block. Had them true the journals. It cost about 300 for the block. Then I had my heads cleaned and shaved. About 400 in machine work. But I do my own assembly and tweaks.
Nice that's not too bad. I have a good mechanic who can can do all the assembling for me. He charged my dad about 400 for rebuilding my brother in laws v6
Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice that's not too bad. I have a good mechanic who can can do all the assembling for me. He charged my dad about 400 for rebuilding my brother in laws v6
Well the mod v8 is a bit more intensive than the v6. One thing to get is the timing set from ford motorsport. I have seen it around online for $450. It comes with everything even secondary tentioners, and all the fasteners for the timing components and cover. Get the ford head changing kit. Encludes head bolts and oil dipstick tube. But if you want arp I would say still get the kit and sell the head bolts. (Personally head bolts are fine, remember people run 500+ on a stock termi setup) Remember shop wise and good luck.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well the mod v8 is a bit more intensive than the v6. One thing to get is the timing set from ford motorsport. I have seen it around online for $450. It comes with everything even secondary tentioners, and all the fasteners for the timing components and cover. Get the ford head changing kit. Encludes head bolts and oil dipstick tube. But if you want arp I would say still get the kit and sell the head bolts. (Personally head bolts are fine, remember people run 500+ on a stock termi setup) Remember shop wise and good luck.
Definitely will check all that out. Thanks man I really appreciate all your help

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang