WHICH SUPERCHARGER? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
WHICH SUPERCHARGER?

Anyone out there supercharged an 01-02 Cobra? What brands are considered best and what should I expect to pay. Is a turbo a good alternative?
Aussie Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
Are u looking for a roots style a twin screw style or a cintrifical style super charger and do u understand the diffrences in those and turbos? Whats ur goal with ur stang (the big picture not just a 1320 time slip)?
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have no experience with forced induction at all. You might like to start at the begining or point me to a good source of information. My Cobra is virtually stock, daily drive with occasional track time. I'm interested in options at present, this is not next months projects.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #4
Road Trip!

The difference between the two d evices is their source of energy. Turbochargers are powered by the mass-flow of exhaust gases driving a turbine. Superchargers are powered mechanically by belt- or chain-drive from the engine's crankshaft.
And theres 3 basic types of supercharger excluding turbos the oldest design being the cog roots style the newest style being a cintrific which looks very similar to a turbo but my personal fav is the twin screw the ken bell liquid cooled to be more spacific how ever instalation and reliabilaty tends to go better with the cintrifics i find (i believe and correct me if im wrong hear but the reason is because there design builds boost much the same as turbos even though there crank drivin and the tend to produce a bit less low end torque then the roots abd twin screws as well as the fact so long as u have a big enough one u can plumb it to any engine and run blow off valves as well as intercoolers in line making them better suited for dd's)

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

But whats ur goal for ur car? like were do u see it in 5 yrs? This will help determan a direction to start to work towards. And altamitlly the boost source to run.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Hmm i dont want to cause more questions for u then answers but if u really dont know anythung about them will have a learning curve to go threw so please feel free to ask any questions u have none of them are "stupid" and lots of ppl hear will be more than happy to help out as we can.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, I need some Google time to get that learning curve pointing in a general upward direction. Thanks for the head start.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: WHICH SUPERCHARGER?

hey hawk-
the thread and your post caught my eye... i've been planning on some simple mods(bolt-ons) but have been disappointed to learn i may not get what i'm looking for(300hp and 340-360tq).

just wondering if i have tuner and other mods, how much can you get out of centri type SC, and what else 'needs' to accompany it(larger TB, MAF, injectors etc.) also, what's the $damage(ballpark), and how if it all effect fuel economy on primarily dd/street car?

thanks-
joe

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

forgot to mention; bone stock GT 2v 5spd .

mods currently planned cai and tuner, TB and plenum. gears, s-t shifter, exhaust(cat back, or maybe catted- no headers), maybe an u-p drive. at some point(really when i get the the point it's NEEDED and no sooner) clutch and cable/quad, and struts/shocks.

later.
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhooked
hey hawk-
the thread and your post caught my eye... i've been planning on some simple mods(bolt-ons) but have been disappointed to learn i may not get what i'm looking for(300hp and 340-360tq).

just wondering if i have tuner and other mods, how much can you get out of centri type SC, and what else 'needs' to accompany it(larger TB, MAF, injectors etc.) also, what's the $damage(ballpark), and how if it all effect fuel economy on primarily dd/street car?

thanks-
joe

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

forgot to mention; bone stock GT 2v 5spd .

mods currently planned cai and tuner, TB and plenum. gears, s-t shifter, exhaust(cat back, or maybe catted- no headers), maybe an u-p drive. at some point(really when i get the the point it's NEEDED and no sooner) clutch and cable/quad, and struts/shocks.

later.
Wrong engine to be looking for that much more torque then hp ur numbers esspiecally with a centri style blower will be much closer together like 300rwhp and 305lb tq or less but yes u can get up words of 500-600 hp with the right amount of boost and supporting mods (ex forged rotating assembly stroker 8/1 pistons larger cfm centri blower running 14+psi pullies intercooled heads cams ect... Any way the point im trying to make is if the torque is what ur after u should be looking at an older pr engine or udalising a twin screw or roots style blowerthey tend to make much more torque.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

either a centrifugal (vortech/procharger) and you REALLY want air/air intercooler so go with one that can do that.

secondly also consider a twin screw blower (not a root blower, a twin screw there are differences). These include whipple (ford racing uses whipple) or kenny bell.

both are great ways go go, the twin screw will give you more down low and more tq ~
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
either a centrifugal (vortech/procharger) and you REALLY want air/air intercooler so go with one that can do that.

secondly also consider a twin screw blower (not a root blower, a twin screw there are differences). These include whipple (ford racing uses whipple) or kenny bell.

both are great ways go go, the twin screw will give you more down low and more tq ~
Agreed. So if ur looking in around 300-350 hp and u really want more torque then hp at these numbers i belive a mild tune with a kb or whipple would be a better fit for ur app and id say start with the 8 pound pully and go from there (anything over 10psi on a twinscrew ur going to want to change out pistons for lower compression ones and forging internals etc but i do belive 8 psi on a kb would sit u right around ur mark with the right supporting mods.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

hey guys-
thx 4 gettin back... good info. this is a little 4thr down on cars bucket list. don't want to start tearin motor apart yet, and not ready to sink that much cash into car

the more tq then hp thing was not critical... figured if car stock is 220/260- ish, then any bolt-on mod perf gains would kinda b linear

this being said, if u can giv me best bang 4 yur buck ideas maybe let me no wut i should b considering, and possibly best order 2 do them in (can also ref my posts with trojanhorse, under thread name 'my mod list', and thread 79-95

thx again.
joe
imhooked is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang