Long tube headers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Region: Mississippi
Long tube headers

Got a 98 cobra that im thinking about putting long tube headers on, not planning on putting a blower on this car. The car is going to get a CAI, programmer, bigger trottle body, and 373 gears.

1) The hp Gain worth the money and time to put the on?
2) Which brand: BBK steel ones or PaceSetter ceramic ?
3) noticable sound with them?

southernstang98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #2

Re: Long tube headers

no advice? lol
Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #3

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang98
no advice? lol
Lol there's alot of thread on this forum so sometimes it takes a while for someone to read it. Personally, I wouldn't do pacesetter but that's me. I'm a huge fan of Kooks although they are pricey. The BBK I've heard are good also.
SNK3BTE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNK3BTE04 View Post
Lol there's alot of thread on this forum so sometimes it takes a while for someone to read it. Personally, I wouldn't do pacesetter but that's me. I'm a huge fan of Kooks although they are pricey. The BBK I've heard are good also.
haha yea I know, and I have heard good about bbk also just not really a big fan on there xpipe thoug. People have said that bbk xpipes make a funny noise when decel, not sure what they mean by that. Might i ask, why don't you like pacesetter?
Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
whats wrong with pacesetter? i been looking to get them cause theyre the most affordable, but now i wanna hear your opinion on them
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #6

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekswiss_04
whats wrong with pacesetter? i been looking to get them cause theyre the most affordable, but now i wanna hear your opinion on them
It's more of a quality issue IMO. I've used the pacesetter h pipe on a 94 GT and loved it but the headers weren't to impressive. Again, it's personal preference and I prefer Kooks for headers.

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Quote:

haha yea I know, and I have heard good about bbk also just not really a big fan on there xpipe thoug. People have said that bbk xpipes make a funny noise when decel, not sure what they mean by that. Might i ask, why don't you like pacesetter?
Yeah not a fan of BBK honestly. Now Mac makes a mean mid pipe with the Pro chamber which I have on my Termi.
SNK3BTE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I, myself, wouldnt think it would matter to much as far az the brand. You def. Get what you pay for. The difference in sound would probably just be from size and shorty vs. Long tubes, which zounds like you already know where youre going with that one. Asside from that, its all in the ears of the beholder!
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i have magnaflow exhaust in my 01 cobra and im very happy with it, like i said before, i was thinking to get the pace setter to go with my setup, but im not too familiar with the brand, so i didnt know what to expect, we'll see how it goes
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Have you typed it into youtube to see if anyone had a sound clip of a stang running those headers or something similar?

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

I found a vid but i dont know how to post it on here. Its of those headers, off road xpipe, and its on a gt model.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

yeah and they sound alright, i liked it, i just didnt want to get crap for 400 bucks, ha ha
Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I get it. But ya gotta make that decision. Not like you can have 4 different versions of your car in front of you so you choose the best sound, ya know?! Itll sound good either way you go i bet. You seriously should find some that arent "supposed" to rust out though. Headers are not easy to replace on our cars for ametures like me.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i know, i know for sure it will sound better than now, ill give them a try, they cant be that bad, ha ha
Old 04-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I'll tell you this much. Set aside a full weekend and a case of beer, you'll need all of it. Easiest way is to support the motor and drop the k-member out from under the car. Even then the steering shaft will have to be taken apart and put back together once you get the driver side on the car. It's not fun...but well worth it, even on a NA car.

And why such a small gear? These 4v's love to be wound out. 4.30 or nothing.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekswiss_04 View Post
yeah i know, i know for sure it will sound better than now, ill give them a try, they cant be that bad, ha ha
so you are going to go with the pace setter ones? Let me know how they turn out far as sound and quality.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #15

the only thing i noticed about the PS headers is where they connect to the exhaust, it doesnt have that ball socket type ends, wouldnt that cause leaks? The bbk are only like 60 more bucks but that are steel and not caremic coating.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #16

Region: Maryland
I have bbk long tube with hi flow cats and bbk x-pipes on my 96 mystic. It was a pain in the *** to install but absolutely love them!! I'm not sure what decel noise ur talking bout but I love the sound. I also have monstrous oval t.b. with bbk cold air, and MSD towers n wires. I luv the way the car sounds under load, at cruise speed and during decel
Old 04-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose8878 View Post
I have bbk long tube with hi flow cats and bbk x-pipes on my 96 mystic. It was a pain in the *** to install but absolutely love them!! I'm not sure what decel noise ur talking bout but I love the sound. I also have monstrous oval t.b. with bbk cold air, and MSD towers n wires. I luv the way the car sounds under load, at cruise speed and during decel
I went ahead and bought the BBK LT headers with the x-pipe anyway. Far as that sound I was talking about, a guy on either this forum or another one I cant remember said that on decel he heard a weird noise but im really not sure what he is talking about. They are a pain in the *** to install, but did you drove the k-member? Yea, im plainning on puttin the 62mm throttle body with a xcal programmer as well. Thinking about going 355 or 373 gears as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #18

I have an accufab oval throttle body it's huge I can stick my whole hand in it!! I want 3.73 real bad. My buddy has a gt wit stage 3 Crowler cams with 3.73 huge difference in t our launches. A tuner would be sweet my car is throwing codes for lean fuel ratio. Would a tuner fix that or should I upgrade my fuel system first?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It's probably lean because you have such a huge throttle body

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #20

I figured as much but it's what came on car when I bought it. So fuel system first or tuner? Which would be the one to do first to counteract
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Probably tuner, if it can reprogram the computer to read the new throttle body. If you're not FI or some crazy h/c/I combo your stock fuel system should be just fine

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #22

Rlly I didn't think the stock injectors and rails would be able to support the t.b.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yea, it should be fine, throttle bodies don't do that much anyways, you can really only take in as much air as the maf sensor will let you anyways

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose8878 View Post
I have an accufab oval throttle body it's huge I can stick my whole hand in it!! I want 3.73 real bad. My buddy has a gt wit stage 3 Crowler cams with 3.73 huge difference in t our launches. A tuner would be sweet my car is throwing codes for lean fuel ratio. Would a tuner fix that or should I upgrade my fuel system first?
From what I have read and researched is if you buy a bigger throttle body and cold air, the more air that you are getting into the engine it will throw a lean code. A tuner will help with that esp if you get it dyno tuned, AM has a deal where you buy a SCT tuner it comes with three free tunes. You tell them what all you have done to your car right now and they will build you a tune. It works dont get me wrong, but I rather have live data right then, and then build the tune off what the car is producing on the DYNO. But yes, a tuner will help you with changes like that esp for future changes you plan on doing.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Don't really need to upgrade fuel system unless you get FI

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Im installing the PS long tubes this weekend they were a gift from my brother. I have a tubular k member installed in my 95 v6 body with a cobra swap so it shouldnt take me forever but i am going to coat them better. Any suggestions on what i should coat them with so that they dont rust so fast?
Cobraswapv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #27

I was say some high temp rust resistant pain...go to your parts store and to the paint section.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was say some high temp rust resistant pain...go to your parts store and to the paint section.
Thats what i was thinking so ill scuff them up pretty good and get the high temp paint. Thanks for the help man.
Cobraswapv6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang