03 cobra w/solid axle/gear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
03 cobra w/solid axle/gear

Ok, i will try to not ramble and get right to the question at hand here. 03 cobra with a 8.8 rear already has 3.73s in it. There seems to be a annoying squeak ( sounds like brake pads) and im not sure where its coming from. That and theres a bit of a clunk when going into first from reverse or a stop. Im lookin to just redo everything for future mods. On american muscle im looking at moser 31 spine axle w/ bearing and gasket kit, also the ford racing tloc with 31 spline input. Im wondering what some of you all think of my intentions and if anyone has a better idea. I hoping to get rid of the clunk and squeak by doing this as well. Im looking to do thi correctly the first time, plans for 500 to 600 bhp.....eventually. As of now theres 430bhp and 460 lbft.
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Re: 03 cobra w/solid axle/gear

It sounds like you have a really good plan and know exactly what you want. The TLOC, 31-spline Moser's and a fresh set of bearings will probably get rid of your problem right away. At that point, you've literally replaced all of the components that could be causing your issue.

Make sure to go with the full installation kit that includes side carrier bearings, pinion bearing, pinion nut, crush collar, etc. Also, make sure that you use the correct weight non-synthetic gear oil for the TLOK and you'll be in great shape!

Out of curiosity, have you installed aftermarket IRS bushings or anything that could be causing the clunk / worn out?

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Not exactly sure about your bushing question. I bought the car with the solid axle in it. I really do not know anything about the current set up. I replaced the shocks in the back and also discovered there is no sway bar on the back. This noise is just driving me nuts. As far as i know the rear came for a 2000 gt model mustang and the previous owner installed 3.73s in it. It may be the gear lashing too, i dont know. Im basically lookin to get pointed in the right direction so u dont end up chasing my tail and spending a bunch of unnecessary $!
mi03svt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang