Evolution of a 97 Cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Evolution of a 97 Cobra

I bought my 97 Cobra in April of 2005 and started off with a stock car other than a K&N air filter and 98 Cobra wheels. I added a Hurst shifter, 4:10 gears , Flowmaster American Thunder catback, custom H pipe and Eibach lowering springs and wider [at the time] 275-40-17's for the rear. Life was good and I wasn't going to do anything else. Yeah right... I picked up a short runner intake and IMRC deletes from na_svt and the following summer I picked up a Vortech V2SQ and put that on. Non intercooled and a crappy tune left me less than impressed so the following spring I installed a larger fuel pump. #42 injectors, intercooler and a dyno tune that netted me 452rwhp and 378tq that lasted to fall 2010.

Over the winter of 2010/2011my ECU lost its tune and a trip over to the dyno was required to get it running again so I decided to gather parts for a "C" head swap and a N/A build. I also installed Maximum Motorsports adjustable lower control arms and a panhard bar tightening up the rear end. This past winter the ECU lost its tune again and the car was pouring fuel into the engine and out the exhaust. Another trip to the dyno got it running well again making the same hp. The following day after a 3-4 pull I heard a rattling/knocking and saw shiny particles when I dumped the oil. I ended up spinning a couple of bearings so I was undecided on finding an engine or doing a build. A friend of my father contacted me who had a 4V out of an 03 Aviator with 10,000 miles for $1300. I grabbed it and installed my FR500 intake and ditched the Vortech and installed a Magnaflow catback less tails which is how the car lasted until May 2012.

[IMG] ---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ---------- Former SRA setup [/IMG]

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

In the spring of 2010 I bought a IRS out of a 99 Cobra that was upgraded with 31 spline axles and carrier, 4:56 gears, Billitflow rear brace and Maximum Motorsports front cross member brace.

For the interior I want to get rid of a couple of gauges and swap in an 03 console and bezel and a newer cd player.

I also have a T56 w/26 spine input shaft and MGW shifter on hand but I need to have someone checkout the internals before I have it installed and I also need a new clutch and mount so i doubt it will be going in until later in 2012 or 2013.

Gauges and pod to be removed

I may also get rid of the cluster bezel and move these gauges to the radio bezel

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Looking through my goodies I see I also have subframe connectors and Redline shifter and e-brake boots

April of 2012 IRS parts were ordered

Full Tilt Boogie Racing FT5000Complete IRS Bushing Kit Includes FT 1000, FT 1100, FT 1200, FT 1300, FT 1500, FT 1600 and FT 1700 and FT1800 IRS Bumpsteer kit with upgraded toe links.

Which brought the IRS from this point

To this

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

Then we found out that the cross axis joints were beat to pieces

so FTBR FT6100 Cross Axis Joints were ordered

Which got Humpty Dumpty back together

SRA on the floor

IRS in the air

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

For the brakes a adapter "T" fitting and short brake line were ordered from????? Will put the link here when I find it.

With the IRS hanging

How close the tires are to the side bolts with suspension hanging. 315-35-17's on 17x11" 95 Cobra R's

On the ground

1997 Cobra - 336rwhp/298tq, 03 Aviator long block with a few mods and a built IRS with 4:56's.
Gallows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
This car is kinda ridiculous. In a great way.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to 2Greeny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson
This car is kinda ridiculous. In a great way.
+1 I love this write up!
2 Subs, New speakers all around
1 Great Car 1 Happy Kid
July '12 Mustang of the Month
2Greeny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Evolution of a 97 Cobra

Thanks guys I did have it broken up into 3-4 posts but somehow it all ended up as one long post.
1997 Cobra - 336rwhp/298tq, 03 Aviator long block with a few mods and a built IRS with 4:56's.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
damn man, youre a very knowleadgeable guy, (sorry if i mispelled) i really admire all the labor and effort you did to this car
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you. There was a period of trial/error and $$$ but I am pleased where it is right now. I would of done the IRS swap as soon as I bought the car if one had been available. I
Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok... next update

Since I didn't get an alignment after my IRS swap I ended up ruining both rear tires. Tried to find a 295 in 17" and couldn't get anything so I called my buddy who I bought the IRS from and asked him if he was interested in selling his wheels. $500 later I came home with these

Last pic with the 95R's

The new to me FR500's

Side by side comparison of the front BF Goodrich 275/40/17s v.s. BF Goodrich G-Force TA 275/35/18

Side by side comparison of the rear Kumho V700 315/35/17s v.s. Toyo Proxy TQ 315/35/18

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallows
Ok... next update

Since I didn't get an alignment after my IRS swap I ended up ruining both rear tires. Tried to find a 295 in 17" and couldn't get anything so I called my buddy who I bought the IRS from and asked him if he was interested in selling his wheels. $500 later I came home with these

Last pic with the 95R's

The new to me FR500's

Side by side comparison of the front BF Goodrich 275/40/17s v.s. BF Goodrich G-Force TA 275/35/18

Side by side comparison of the rear Kumho V700 315/35/17s v.s. Toyo Proxy TQ 315/35/18
How do you like the TQs I couldn't make them stick once the nitrous and full boost kicked in?

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I only have a few miles on them but for some reason they are rubbing on the quarters. The drivers side is worst. I ordered a Eastwood tool to roll the fenders and I also have Q1A adjustable shocks. I am going to see if another setting will help but I think the wheels and tires are too high. When they get replaced I plan on going to a BFG G-Force 295 to match the fronts.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallows
I only have a few miles on them but for some reason they are rubbing on the quarters. The drivers side is worst. I ordered a Eastwood tool to roll the fenders and I also have Q1A adjustable shocks. I am going to see if another setting will help but I think the wheels and tires a too high. When they get replaced I plan on going to a BFG G-Force 295 to match the fronts.
I ran a sra but my friend had the same problem when he would use my wheels. He solved it by getting his fenders rolled on his termi.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang