Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Too good to be true?

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Butch 
#1 ·
Found this post on Craigslist. This guy is selling a '03 SVT Cobra for only $4200. Is there something wrong with this picture or is this really too good to be true?

#5 ·
but his description was something like 'adult driven and adult maintained, almost always in my garage' so i was like um ok i have interest in it then. i emailed him and no response, what happened after? entered in the ID in the search box and no results found. i was like ...no comment

#14 ·
I got lucky. The guy said he needed to get rid of it because he's gonna be in Afghanistan for the next 12 months and he didn't want it to be sitting in his garage (good choice for selling it) for the entire time. It's got about 97,500 miles and he's selling that for $4200 because he has to get rid of it by early next month. I reeeeeally got lucky LOL.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

They have an ad just like that in Chicago right now

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

2002 Ford Mustang Cobra Conversion Blue Low Miles Financing

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

That's not it, I can't find it anymore but it was an '03 Cobra for $4200. This one is an '02 Cobra
Uh...what color was the cobra? I saw the post for a black '03 cobra last night for $4200...

#17 ·
unless both of us saw different posts, the one i checked, it was on craigslist (the picture of the cobra was in front of a light colored warehouse sort of deal with a door opened). i contacted the guy last night, he immediately took the post off. i got incredibly excited but then i posted it up on yahoo answers (thank ****ing god I did). This is from craigslist, and i'll tell u exactly what the guy told me (I'll type it in a different color other than black):

How to recognize a vehicle scam attempt on CL:
Shipping a vehicle to you is suggested by seller
He claimed that the DAS from the military base he was at will take care of the shipping fees
eBay Motors or another intermediary is specified by seller
]he mentioned the transaction will go through the ebay buy protection program which i'm pretty sure is fake too
Price is unusually low (fraction of blue book value)
the guy was selling it for $4200, the TMV given for '03 SVT cobra is at least $13,500
Offers to ship a vehicle are virtually 100% fraudulent
yep...
eBay has no involvment in craigslist for sale ads, and any eBay or similar emails or web pages you receive are fake
i can't believe i forgot this entire warning page
Do not buy vehicles sight-unseen, regardless of low price. The vehicle does not exist, and any money you send will be lost.
should have remembered this too, he claimed the car was in pennyslvania, at a military base
Stories about divorcees or departing servicemen needing to sell quickly at a low price are generally fraudulent
i'll say it once more, yep...

i guess i learned my lesson on having to re read things twice before settling in on anything

#19 ·
iphonemaster93 said:
unless both of us saw different posts, the one i checked, it was on craigslist (the picture of the cobra was in front of a light colored warehouse sort of deal with a door opened). i contacted the guy last night, he immediately took the post off. i got incredibly excited but then i posted it up on yahoo answers (thank ****ing god I did). This is from craigslist, and i'll tell u exactly what the guy told me (I'll type it in a different color other than black):

How to recognize a vehicle scam attempt on CL:
Shipping a vehicle to you is suggested by seller
He claimed that the DAS from the military base he was at will take care of the shipping fees
eBay Motors or another intermediary is specified by seller
]he mentioned the transaction will go through the ebay buy protection program which i'm pretty sure is fake too
Price is unusually low (fraction of blue book value)
the guy was selling it for $4200, the TMV given for '03 SVT cobra is at least $13,500
Offers to ship a vehicle are virtually 100% fraudulent
yep...
eBay has no involvment in craigslist for sale ads, and any eBay or similar emails or web pages you receive are fake
i can't believe i forgot this entire warning page
Do not buy vehicles sight-unseen, regardless of low price. The vehicle does not exist, and any money you send will be lost.
should have remembered this too, he claimed the car was in pennyslvania, at a military base
Stories about divorcees or departing servicemen needing to sell quickly at a low price are generally fraudulent
i'll say it once more, yep...

i guess i learned my lesson on having to re read things twice before settling in on anything
I had this happen to me a while back. Some lady selling a uhh... yeah that kind ja. Said she was going through a divorce blah blah blah point is I was disappointed because it was a really nice car, audi maybe? I dont know but never sent money, did send address info but never got a creepy killer dude at my door,, he never got down and turned right around when he saw the 12 gauge jajajajajaja.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.