New exhaust is really quiet, wtf?!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
New exhaust is really quiet, wtf?!!

I have a 96 cobra, I just put an off road dr gas x pipe and 14 inch magnaflows with 2.5 inch pipes all the way back past the axle thinking it would sound perfect.

I just drive it for about 20 miles and it is soo freakin quiet... I'm actually disappointed. It almost sounds like a ricer buzz at times. When i open it up it sounds ok but not like i had with my borla set up. I miss the brraaap!

Do i have to break these things in? And if i do how much louder will they get? Or should i just tuck my tail between my legs and buy some other mufflers?... At least the power gain was awesome...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
The muffles are probably multi chamber..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I thought all the magnaflows were a straight through design...

Can i just remove the baffles in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #4
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg

I'm not sure on that one.. Or the baffle part.. What was on there before is it quiter or louder now?
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

No these mufflers are brand new out of the box, so are the pipes...

My friend has lt headers, cats, shorty x and magnaflow mufflers cat back and his cobra is insanely loud.. Its really weird
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think there are two diffrent magnaflow systems one chambered and one straight through im not sure.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
No these mufflers are brand new out of the box, so are the pipes...

My friend has lt headers, cats, shorty x and magnaflow mufflers cat back and his cobra is insanely loud.. Its really weird
Check into the mufflers.. Do you have headers? You my want to look into high flow cats..
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
Old 07-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I don't want cats. They are restrictive and will make it even quieter.. The magnaflow mufflers i have are a straight through, i just checked. 14 inch long.

I feel like i'm going crazy. This set up should sound great and have a nice race growl.

Right now it sounds like a stock honda... I may have to buy another pair of mufflers..

Unless there is a break in period, if anyone can shine some light on that for me...
Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't want cats. They are restrictive and will make it even quieter.. The magnaflow mufflers i have are a straight through, i just checked. 14 inch long.

I feel like i'm going crazy. This set up should sound great and have a nice race growl.

Right now it sounds like a stock honda... I may have to buy another pair of mufflers..

Unless there is a break in period, if anyone can shine some light on that for me...
there is no break in period for for exhaust systems you might want to check if they had any wraping paper or anything inside that might be stuck inside the mufflers. Besides that I don't know anything that might make it quiet.

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Checked out magnaflows website. I should have done it in the first place, they say there is a break in period and they will get louder.

I dunno still thought. I don't think they'll get much louder... Maybe i can take out the packing and reweld.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Checked out magnaflows website. I should have done it in the first place, they say there is a break in period and they will get louder.

I dunno still thought. I don't think they'll get much louder... Maybe i can take out the packing and reweld.
Thats the first time I hear that. I had magnaflows and after I installed them there was no change in sound intill I used a catless xpipe. Good luck with your exhaust hope you get the sound you want.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Every time I've put new exhaust on a car it did have a break in period. Like one of the trans am's I had to replace the exhaust with factory and it took a little while to get that full sound. Then when my dad bought his challenger with 1 mile it took it a little while to get fully broken in. I say give it a month and if it isn't to your satisfaction you may have to bight the bullet and buy new mufflers.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
That's wild.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: New exhaust is really quiet, wtf?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
I have a 96 cobra, I just put an off road dr gas x pipe and 14 inch magnaflows with 2.5 inch pipes all the way back past the axle thinking it would sound perfect.

I just drive it for about 20 miles and it is soo freakin quiet... I'm actually disappointed. It almost sounds like a ricer buzz at times. When i open it up it sounds ok but not like i had with my borla set up. I miss the brraaap!

Do i have to break these things in? And if i do how much louder will they get? Or should i just tuck my tail between my legs and buy some other mufflers?... At least the power gain was awesome...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
It's your MUFFLERS, there are different Models of Mufflers in every company, I have Magnaflow on both my cars, and I have different model muffler on both cars. On my Mustang, I have the Agressive Tone Muffler, and on my wife's Camaro, I have the Low, Deep Tone Muffler. Both sound different. So I'm sure, you just have one of the regular sounding mufflers on your car.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the help guys. I already have NO cats cats so its weird this thing sounds so tame.

I did talk to a tech at magnaflow and he said the break in period is about 800 miles and they will get noticeably louder.. Then he recommended magnapacks. #10416. Are these obnoxiously loud anyone?

Damn, looks like i have to spend more money.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

You do know that there are multiple different magnaflow mufflers. They make really quiet ones too
Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently. And I'm the Shmuck that bought them. Oh well..
Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

thats weird, i got magnaflows in my car and they sound perfect since day 1,
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want loud the borlas and bassani are by far the loudest I have had my magnaflows had a nice low growl at idle but really opened up when I floored it.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Magnapacks are LOUD
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

i think your right.. I'm going to buy another set of mufflers. What would you guys recommend with my set up? DOHC, stock manifolds, off road x, and 2.5 inch catback past axle...

I'm looking at spintechs, magnapacks, slp 2, something with a good design that will not rob me of power and sound mean.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

damn! those magnapacks really sound good, i would go with magna packs or pypes violators, either one is great
bluekswiss_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, the sad part is the Salesman did not inform you that there are different Models of Mufflers in their Brand. What "DaBluedude" said is correct and I have stated that online a few times, and I guess people just do not realize that. When I got my Magnaflow Exhaust on my wife's Camaro, I told the guy that I wanted a Low, Deep tone on that exhaust. It's my wife, she doesn't need something that loud. Weeks later when I went back to get Exhaust on my Mustang, the guy asked me if I wanted the same tone on the Mustang, I told him NO, I wanted "BALLS TO THE WALL SOUND" on it. He just laughed and said OK, I got the "Aggressive" tone Mufflers on the Mustang. Both cars have Magnaflow Exhaust on them and they Both sound Absolutely DIFFERENT.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
No, the sad part is the Salesman did not inform you that there are different Models of Mufflers in their Brand. What "DaBluedude" said is correct and I have stated that online a few times, and I guess people just do not realize that. When I got my Magnaflow Exhaust on my wife's Camaro, I told the guy that I wanted a Low, Deep tone on that exhaust. It's my wife, she doesn't need something that loud. Weeks later when I went back to get Exhaust on my Mustang, the guy asked me if I wanted the same tone on the Mustang, I told him NO, I wanted "BALLS TO THE WALL SOUND" on it. He just laughed and said OK, I got the "Aggressive" tone Mufflers on the Mustang. Both cars have Magnaflow Exhaust on them and they Both sound Absolutely DIFFERENT.
Yeah that makes sense. I guess i should have ordered those damn mufflers myself, i put my faith in my exhaust guy. He prob just made a mistake... Now i'm a little hesitant on getting another pair of magnaflows. Thanks for the help, i think yuou're right, it has to be the mufflers. Everything else is just 2.5 inch pipe from the manifolds back, should be loud as hell. Haha. This kind of stuff only happens to me i swear.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

Quote:
I just called magnaflow and they said there are no different aggressive stages between their mufflers. They said i got the right ones and it should sound pretty loud. 4x9x14. This is driving me crazy. Maybe magnaflows just weren't meant to be for me. Damn, i really like the way they are built too...
Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'm gonna reguster a vote for flowmaster mufflers. It sounds awesome to my ear. The super 44 make a great noise in my mach 1 with stock manifolds and midpipe. The original 40 mufflers are very loud but sound awesome in the best classic muscle car way. The super 40 is easily the quietest of the 3. Great quality, great sound, great price.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
I'm gonna reguster a vote for flowmaster mufflers. It sounds awesome to my ear. The super 44 make a great noise in my mach 1 with stock manifolds and midpipe. The original 40 mufflers are very loud but sound awesome in the best classic muscle car way. The super 40 is easily the quietest of the 3. Great quality, great sound, great price.
The thought has crossed my mind. But i dunno, i'm going for a different sound and a better flow. I'm leaning toward spintechs right now...
Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The thought has crossed my mind. But i dunno, i'm going for a different sound and a better flow. I'm leaning toward spintechs right now...
That's cool... but for the mayb 5 hp difference I could never sacrifice that sound I love. I know flowmasters are not the best flowing but god I love the sound
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Oh i know. Without the sound my car isn't even fun to drive. Best mod as far as i'm concerned.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh i know. Without the sound my car isn't even fun to drive. Best mod as far as i'm concerned.
If you want check out videos of the bassani mufflers on youtube and see how you like the sound.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I was lucky enough to not work today, so i spent all day watching you tube videos and researching what would be best and i decided to go with spintech pro streets. Should be here by monday.

Had to eat 200. Ouch.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Just an update. I finally received my new spintech prostreets and welded them in... Wow, what a different sound! I haven't heard any mustangs that sound like this. It sounds like a beast from hell now. Really happy with that purchase. Almost obnoxious. Almost...
Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense. I guess i should have ordered those damn mufflers myself, i put my faith in my exhaust guy. He prob just made a mistake... Now i'm a little hesitant on getting another pair of magnaflows. Thanks for the help, i think yuou're right, it has to be the mufflers. Everything else is just 2.5 inch pipe from the manifolds back, should be loud as hell. Haha. This kind of stuff only happens to me i swear.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

I just called magnaflow and they said there are no different aggressive stages between their mufflers. They said i got the right ones and it should sound pretty loud. 4x9x14. This is driving me crazy. Maybe magnaflows just weren't meant to be for me. Damn, i really like the way they are built too...
Hey Brad, I'm surprised you/they said that. I do not know what the cicumstances are, but seriously, I do have Magnaflow mufflers on both my cars and there is a totally different sound on both. Now they are under the car, so I can't look at both to see what model/serial number is on them. And that was soo long agao, I have no idea, where the paperwork for them is.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Brad, I'm surprised you/they said that. I do not know what the cicumstances are, but seriously, I do have Magnaflow mufflers on both my cars and there is a totally different sound on both. Now they are under the car, so I can't look at both to see what model/serial number is on them. And that was soo long agao, I have no idea, where the paperwork for them is.
Yeah man. When you told me about the different types of muffler i called them again. They said there is no difference in muffler, and that my 4x9x14 is the standard they are putting on the mustangs. They said the smaller the muffler the louder it is. So i asked them if i should have bought smaller ones and they said no and that magnapacks are the next step up... Maybe they are just idiots and don't know what the hell they are talking about. I dunno. Either way, it really turned me off to magnaflow and their products. I Had a couple of my hot rod buds listen to it, they agreed it was way quiet and shouldn't sound like that at all...

All good tho because these spintechs are where its at. I wont go back now. Kind of glad the magnaflows didn't work out.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah man. When you told me about the different types of muffler i called them again. They said there is no difference in muffler, and that my 4x9x14 is the standard they are putting on the mustangs. They said the smaller the muffler the louder it is. So i asked them if i should have bought smaller ones and they said no and that magnapacks are the next step up... Maybe they are just idiots and don't know what the hell they are talking about. I dunno. Either way, it really turned me off to magnaflow and their products. I Had a couple of my hot rod buds listen to it, they agreed it was way quiet and shouldn't sound like that at all...

All good tho because these spintechs are where its at. I wont go back now. Kind of glad the magnaflows didn't work out.
Glad it worked out for you, and still dissappointed that Magnaflow you that. Because of what you said, I'm going to look threw stuff, to see if I can find the workorder paperwork from the two installs. What really sucks the most about what you said, is the fact that Most companies have various models of mufflers. Even Flowmaster has a few different models of mufflers, so the fact that guy told you there is only one model, is rediculous. I think Flowmaster has 3 or 4 different models of mufflers, most people do not realize that though.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glad it worked out for you, and still dissappointed that Magnaflow you that. Because of what you said, I'm going to look threw stuff, to see if I can find the workorder paperwork from the two installs. What really sucks the most about what you said, is the fact that Most companies have various models of mufflers. Even Flowmaster has a few different models of mufflers, so the fact that guy told you there is only one model, is rediculous. I think Flowmaster has 3 or 4 different models of mufflers, most people do not realize that though.
I agree. It sounded kinda like bs to me... But it was an apparent magnaflow tech... What do i know. Let me know if you find anything

I'll tell you what tho. You can put those mufflers on a damn tractor and it'll quiet it down pretty well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Tags
exhaust