Loss of power after ignition change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Loss of power after ignition change

Hey, another newb thread from me.. Bear with me if you can, i appreciate the help...

So, i personally did a tune up on my cobra Because it was misfiring at wot. Coil packs, plugs, wires, and a fuel filter. I went with oem motorcraft ignition parts because i thought they would be more reliable than the aftermarket setup i currently had.

Install went good, gapped plugs to .054, torqued them to spec. All the wires are in the right firing order etc.

Anyway, now my car just doesn't pull like it used to. It had a way better throttle response before and it would put me back in my seat like a rocket. It runs like a champ just doesn't don't have that pep anymore. It's really bothering me.

I had msd coil packs with ford racing wires and spitfire plugs. Could that have produced that awesome of a spark that i'm just feeling the difference?
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Re: Loss of power after ignition change

hmmm. sounds strange. It should be fine since you gapped them correctly... but I will say that the MSD packs probably do give a better spark than the OEM Motorcraft ones, but I switched out my OEM packs for MSD and noticed no difference at all... so I'm not sure man.
*72 C10, 350, Auto, (my Daily Driver)
bmabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott
hmmm. sounds strange. It should be fine since you gapped them correctly... but I will say that the MSD packs probably do give a better spark than the OEM Motorcraft ones, but I switched out my OEM packs for MSD and noticed no difference at all... so I'm not sure man.
Yeah. It is weird. It has to be something with the ignition. It's the only thing i changed beside the fuel filter. I'm going to throw the old mad packs on and drive it around for a min to see if i feel any difference. I maybe should double check the gaps again too. If i gapped them too much though wouldn't my computer throw a misfire code?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
If i gapped them too much though wouldn't my computer throw a misfire code?
Not necessarily, because when I changed out my plugs... the guy that had this car before me had them gapped at like .064(idiot), and I never had a misfire code... I have mine gapped at .052 now...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmabbott

Not necessarily, because when I changed out my plugs... the guy that had this car before me had them gapped at like .064(idiot), and I never had a misfire code... I have mine gapped at .052 now...
So that being said, what would the ideal gap be for best performance for a na cobra with an off road exhuast, cia and a tune? I've heard of setting different gap sizes but i'm more of a by the book kinda guy...
Old 07-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Found the problem.. Its those coil packs for sure.

I Just swapped in the old msd packs and took her for a spin. throttle response is like night and day.. Wheew, i thought i was going crazy. From now on; msd ignition all the way..
Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad.krieg View Post
So that being said, what would the ideal gap be for best performance for a na cobra with an off road exhuast, cia and a tune? I've heard of setting different gap sizes but i'm more of a by the book kinda guy...
On my 2001 cobra, it calls for a gap between .052 - .056

If you have the factory hood, it should say on a sticker under the hood somewhere.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang