Sn95 Cobra running hot - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to Brad.krieg Send a message via Skype™ to Brad.krieg
Sn95 Cobra running hot

Anyone have any experience with their 96-98 cobras running a little on the hotter side?

Seems like when the weather picked up and summer kicked in my 96 is running alot hotter at idle... It normally even doesn't hit half way on my dummy gauge fully heated. But lately it's been going past half way mark until the fan kicks on or i start driving again then it goes back down.

When i pop the hood it feels a little too hot also. Any suggestions? No codes, all fluids are good, looks like my fan is working fine. Maybe i'll try adjusting the fan to kick on a little earlier with my programmer....
Brad.krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Shoot Actually, There was almost no coolant in the reservoir. Yikes, topped it off and programmed the fan to kick on at a lower temp. Seems to be running a whole lot cooler now.... Might be masking an underlying problem though.. Looked around, doesn't seem to be any leaks. Might be a hose, i'll have to check her out when i change the oil.

I hear these things are touchy when it comes to the radiator and water pump. If you guys have any info it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Region: Alabama
My 1996 cobra runs a bit hot in the summer. I talked to another cobra owner and he replaced his thermostat with a 165 deg one from ORikeys Auto Parts. I did not pursue this yet, but if you are in a good bit of stop and go traffic, it would make sense to look at this.
96CobraConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CobraConv
My 1996 cobra runs a bit hot in the summer. I talked to another cobra owner and he replaced his thermostat with a 165 deg one from ORikeys Auto Parts. I did not pursue this yet, but if you are in a good bit of stop and go traffic, it would make sense to look at this.
Whoa 165?!! That's waay too cool... 180 is prob the max you want to go on a stock new edge motor. You don't want the car staying in an open loop.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Region: Alabama
I am glad you said this. I bought a 192 deg stat for my cobra, but I was told that too hot would be a problem for warping the heads? How did you modulate your fan start and stop? I would like it to come on sooner also. What about cleaning your radiator out?
96CobraConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CobraConv
I am glad you said this. I bought a 192 deg stat for my cobra, but I was told that too hot would be a problem for warping the heads? How did you modulate your fan start and stop? I would like it to come on sooner also. What about cleaning your radiator out?
Well 192 is stock. 180 would be ideal if you want your cobra to run a bit on the cooler side... You would need to retune it after tho for the fans to come on at the right time. Yeah, After about 220 deg I think the heads have the potential to warp... I'd say if you're going past 210 you have a problem..

I set my fans to 194 low speed and 200 for high speed. Seems to work great. I use a flash tuner for it. Cleaning out it getting a new radiator will probably have the best results.

Also I've noticed that my temp dummy gauge is just really sensitive. I've logged a couple wot runs and it never gets hotter than 200 deg pushing it.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Here in Arizona we get up 115 degrees furing those times my car will run around 230,my buddy have a 04 svt terminator cobra his runs hot to around 230 u deff feel the power loss in the timeing we both had no issues this whole summer,royal purple just released a new product called 'ice' a super concentrated antifreeze comes n a pint size bout 13$ I added it and probley dropped 5-7 degrees might be worth a try
M97cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CobraConv View Post
165 is too cool,,youll run to rich and open loop,,its normal to run 210 to 220,,under 10psi of pressure,,and the right mixture of coolant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang