98 cobra tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

98 cobra tuner

A friend of mine told me that a tuner for a 98 cobra really isn't needed because Ford got the tune just right. Is this true before I spend 375 bucks on one ?
southernstang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
There is always more power available compared to factory. Ford has to set things reasonably conservative in order to protect themselves.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief
There is always more power available compared to factory. Ford has to set things reasonably conservative in order to protect themselves.
Yeah I understand, you think it would really be worth it though ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Australia
Research is the answer. Check out Bama or Diablosport.
Aussie Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Stang
Research is the answer. Check out Bama or Diablosport.
Yeah I know, Bama said they could so I might get one anyway in case I want to get it dyno tuned later.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstang00 View Post
A friend of mine told me that a tuner for a 98 cobra really isn't needed because Ford got the tune just right. Is this true before I spend 375 bucks on one ?

southernstang00,

There's definitely some power to be had for 96-98 Cobras. We even have a few AM employee's with Bama tunes on minor Bolt-on SN95 Cobras that are lovin' the difference. The biggest positive to getting a Bama SF3 tuner from AM is being enrolled in our Free Tunes for Life program! This means you'll get 3 new custom tunes every time you add new bolt-on mods. Increased hp/tq and throttle response is obviously the goal, but it's also nice to know your engine is running as clean and accurate as ever. A solid tune plays a big part in engine longevity!

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can do!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
southernstang00,

There's definitely some power to be had for 96-98 Cobras. We even have a few AM employee's with Bama tunes on minor Bolt-on SN95 Cobras that are lovin' the difference. The biggest positive to getting a Bama SF3 tuner from AM is being enrolled in our Free Tunes for Life program! This means you'll get 3 new custom tunes every time you add new bolt-on mods. Increased hp/tq and throttle response is obviously the goal, but it's also nice to know your engine is running as clean and accurate as ever. A solid tune plays a big part in engine longevity!

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can do!

Shane
Well I was still going to get one from yall because of my CAI, LT, UDP's but will these tuner fix the speedo due to changing the gears? I've read that these cars on up to 98 you had to changed the little gear in the trans to correct the speedo, this true?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Well I was still going to get one from yall because of my CAI, LT, UDP's but will these tuner fix the speedo due to changing the gears? I've read that these cars on up to 98 you had to changed the little gear in the trans to correct the speedo, this true?

That is correct, for up to a 98 you will need a speedo recalibrator, like this one from Ford Racing. Now in 99+ you can have the SF3 hand held tuner calibrate your speedo for you. So, in your case you'll need to purchase a calibrator separate, unfortunately. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It will def help and what will help even better is getting it dyno tuned for your location. Weather conditions also effect on how the tune works out for ya. Also an experienced tuner will do wonders. I have a 98 cobra but with a blower and one tuner was way better than the other with a difference dof 80 hp to the wheels.
Richtq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

We've found there's very little benefits of getting any OBDII Mustang dyno tuned when it just has basic bolt-on mods. Bama has been able to dial in our customers tunes so well that they have made as much as or more than competitors dyno tunes. Plus, if we feel your tune could be better, just take a simple data log with your SCT tuner and send it into Bama to see if any minor adjustments can be made!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is correct, for up to a 98 you will need a speedo recalibrator, like this one from Ford Racing. Now in 99+ you can have the SF3 hand held tuner calibrate your speedo for you. So, in your case you'll need to purchase a calibrator separate, unfortunately. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you!

Shane
Alrighty thanks for the info man, I def will pick that up after I get my gear installed.

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Quote:
We've found there's very little benefits of getting any OBDII Mustang dyno tuned when it just has basic bolt-on mods. Bama has been able to dial in our customers tunes so well that they have made as much as or more than competitors dyno tunes. Plus, if we feel your tune could be better, just take a simple data log with your SCT tuner and send it into Bama to see if any minor adjustments can be made!

Shane
Yeah, thanks what im planning on doing with the cobra is basic bolt ons and then getting a tune from you guys!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Alrighty thanks for the info man, I def will pick that up after I get my gear installed.

---------- Post added at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Yeah, thanks what im planning on doing with the cobra is basic bolt ons and then getting a tune from you guys!

Sounds like you'll be all set then. The speedo will be dialed in as well as your PCM. It's a nice upgrade for any Mustang, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang