Someone with knowledge explain supercharging install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Someone with knowledge explain supercharging install

Looking for someone to explain or point me in the right direction. I have purchased a stock 99 cobra, and after some research on different types of supercharges and turbo chargers, I have decided to go with a Centrifugal supercharger.

From what I have been told and understand, there is a whole lot that goes into preparing for such an install, both from the engine and components perspective. Could someone please explain to me what needs to be done to an engine and why? This would help me gain a better understanding of the procedure.

I'm looking for any info that would help in preparing me for this task, and to help me make informed decisions, as well as figure out what the overall cost will be associated with the install and functionality of the system. I do understand the basics of what supercharges do, but beyond this, I'm new to large engines and forced induction. Thanks in advance.
Jstilly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstilly85 View Post
Looking for someone to explain or point me in the right direction. I have purchased a stock 99 cobra, and after some research on different types of supercharges and turbo chargers, I have decided to go with a Centrifugal supercharger.

From what I have been told and understand, there is a whole lot that goes into preparing for such an install, both from the engine and components perspective. Could someone please explain to me what needs to be done to an engine and why? This would help me gain a better understanding of the procedure.

I'm looking for any info that would help in preparing me for this task, and to help me make informed decisions, as well as figure out what the overall cost will be associated with the install and functionality of the system. I do understand the basics of what supercharges do, but beyond this, I'm new to large engines and forced induction. Thanks in advance.
I have a bit of experience but first things is knowing how much power you want and what your budget is. Centrifugal chargers are one of the best but what led you to choose this kind?? Twin scrolls or even turbo are the best imo for cobras . As far as engine requirements are all based on power . Let me know and i can guide u as best as i can
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post

I have a bit of experience but first things is knowing how much power you want and what your budget is. Centrifugal chargers are one of the best but what led you to choose this kind?? Twin scrolls or even turbo are the best imo for cobras . As far as engine requirements are all based on power . Let me know and i can guide u as best as i can
Sure, looking for around 400-450 HP. Not looking to drag or race, just want a powerful car that will bring me back to my sport bike days. I would like to stay around 4-5k if possible. Engine has 100,000 miles on it, but seems to be in great condition. Everything is stock except suspension mods. Gearing, short shift, lowering springs, stop the hop...etc. planning on exhaust (x-pipe & cat-back) stock headers w/ Bamma tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstilly85 View Post

Sure, looking for around 400-450 HP. Not looking to drag or race, just want a powerful car that will bring me back to my sport bike days. I would like to stay around 4-5k if possible. Engine has 100,000 miles on it, but seems to be in great condition. Everything is stock except suspension mods. Gearing, short shift, lowering springs, stop the hop...etc. planning on exhaust (x-pipe & cat-back) stock headers w/ Bamma tune.
Yea i get what you mean cus i come from a bike backgrounds as well.. Even though the car is taken care of you would need a full diagnostics on the engine since it has so many miles and because you want more than 350hp . Those motors can handle plenty but better safe then sry. Between 4-5k is a tight budget due to the fact that you might need to blueprint the block and upgrade to lower compression pistons. I can give you a basic list of parts needed and you can decide what route to take
Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post

Yea i get what you mean cus i come from a bike backgrounds as well.. Even though the car is taken care of you would need a full diagnostics on the engine since it has so many miles and because you want more than 350hp . Those motors can handle plenty but better safe then sry. Between 4-5k is a tight budget due to the fact that you might need to blueprint the block and upgrade to lower compression pistons. I can give you a basic list of parts needed and you can decide what route to take
Ok, sounds like a good starting point. How would I go about getting a diagnostic? Would there be a safe way to get to a realistic 350 to the rear wheel for a higher mileage engine? Would this come at a cheaper cost? Could you go into detail about upgrades to the engine to support this kind of HP? And estimated costs for these parts and installation requirements (something I could do, or would have to have done professionally) thanks!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
With a vortech set at 10 psi of boost and a good tune you will hit your 450 mark pretty easy, you will need a bigger throttle body and plenum, jlt cai or Anderson power pipe, and I would upgrade to an avaitior fuel pump with a Kenne Bell bap, if you want to keep it mild and just hit that 350 mark just throw a set of cams in and a tune and you'll be set, I have frenids with a 100 k on motors with no problems , it's all in the tune when you supercharge
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on how the motor has been treated since he's not the original owner. Pushing too much power into rings or a crank that's off.balance might cost him his DD . But i agree with the mild tune with a set of cams and maybe intake manifold with new fuel pump . Also the more you upgrade the longer the car will sit until its put back together
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Find a good shop or friend that knows these motors. Have a compression and leakdown test performed and do a 100% maintenance on the entire drivetrain before dropping the money on a headunit, piping and fuel system.

You should get a feel of how the car has been treated and what may be needed in the near future.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Find a good shop or friend that knows these motors. Have a compression and leakdown test performed and do a 100% maintenance on the entire drivetrain before dropping the money on a headunit, piping and fuel system.

You should get a feel of how the car has been treated and what may be needed in the near future.
Ok, I will work on finding a shop. We are in a new town so it may be difficult. Can any auto shop perform these tests? What's about a ford dealership service center.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstilly85

Ok, I will work on finding a shop. We are in a new town so it may be difficult. Can any auto shop perform these tests? What's about a ford dealership service center.
Yeh, any auto shop will be able to do it. Ask for a printout of the results. You are looking for good compression numbers that are equal across all 8 along with good equal hold across all 8 in the leakdown test.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang