Disappointing Dyno results - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Disappointing Dyno results

A little about my car. It is an 01 Cobra with a 2004 Mach 1 motor and trans with 50k miles. I installed 2001 Cobra intake cams dot to dot exactly in place of the mach 1 cams. Car has an x-pipe, catback, cold air with 4.10s. I have purchased an SCT tuner and BAMA tune but have felt that the car just isnt running right so I went and had it dynoed.

I was running the race tune with +2 richner on the first pull and the A/F ratio went off the chart rich. Second and third time was with the richner at 0 and A/F was just over 11 to 1 . MY CAR IS MAKING NO TORQUE!!! Can this be all from just a bad tune or is there more, on the 3rd run my torque just sits at 275???? Any ideas would be great thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 Cobra dyno 001.jpg
Views:	1466
Size:	900.6 KB
ID:	93651  
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
The people running the Dyno don't offer running or have any ideas why?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It doesn't look that bad actually. Looks a lot like my curve just a bit lower. Remember that all dynos are different and read different numbers. In my 3 dyno runs I've had 34x hp 273 hp and 299hp. Torque has been as low as 280 to 365. Depends on the dyno.
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
The people running the Dyno don't offer running or have any ideas why?
He just said it was running crazy rich and that it needed to be tuned. I really didn't notice my low torque numbers till after I had left.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
It doesn't look that bad actually. Looks a lot like my curve just a bit lower. Remember that all dynos are different and read different numbers. In my 3 dyno runs I've had 34x hp 273 hp and 299hp. Torque has been as low as 280 to 365. Depends on the dyno.
I see what your saying but here is the problem, I am putting out 25 more h.p. then torque. what I am thinking is that the rich condition is effecting lower rpms more then upper. So after its tuned I will gain 30 to 40 ftllbs in the mid and maybe only 10hp at peak. But thats just a guess
Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Wouldnt suprise me if it was a bad tune bama tunes is pathetic! I had a gt and got tunes from them and every one when i shifted into 2nd my car would drop rpms instead of climbing and i pulled the plugs and they was chalk white from running so lean! I have an 03 cobra now i got tunes from them when my car was stock other than exhaust i loaded their tunes into my car and it was poppin snappin cuttin up it was horrible!! Pulled my plugs and again chalk white from being lean i took my car to the dyno to
Get a PROPER tune and the tuner said they would have melted my car down the a/r was 14:0 thats how lean it was i will never again buy anything from bama tunes and i will never recommend them to anyone!! Everytime i would call to try and get tunes fixed they blamed it on my car not their tunes they are horrible.
03whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1rbc

I see what your saying but here is the problem, I am putting out 25 more h.p. then torque. what I am thinking is that the rich condition is effecting lower rpms more then upper. So after its tuned I will gain 30 to 40 ftllbs in the mid and maybe only 10hp at peak. But thats just a guess
You should have higher hp than torque numbers...like is stated above you should only use dyno numbers as a tool. All will read differently.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitey View Post
Wouldnt suprise me if it was a bad tune bama tunes is pathetic! I had a gt and got tunes from them and every one when i shifted into 2nd my car would drop rpms instead of climbing and i pulled the plugs and they was chalk white from running so lean! I have an 03 cobra now i got tunes from them when my car was stock other than exhaust i loaded their tunes into my car and it was poppin snappin cuttin up it was horrible!! Pulled my plugs and again chalk white from being lean i took my car to the dyno to
Get a PROPER tune and the tuner said they would have melted my car down the a/r was 14:0 thats how lean it was i will never again buy anything from bama tunes and i will never recommend them to anyone!! Everytime i would call to try and get tunes fixed they blamed it on my car not their tunes they are horrible.
Lmao
Old 03-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the feedback. The car really does run horrible on the bama tune. I will be going back to performance automotive in a couple weeks to get my car dyno tuned. I guess I will know then if this is all tune issues or if there is something else.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
You should have higher hp than torque numbers...like is stated above you should only use dyno numbers as a tool. All will read differently.
most mach 1 motors with bolt ons have about 15lbs more torque then h.p. It should read something like 300h.p 315ftlbs. I have never seen a Mach 1 dyno with less torque especially 25 less. The dyno is clearly showing something is wrong.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

OK, I think I found the issue. I just swapped out my coils and my car is driving way smoother and alot more pull. Also no more popping and rumbling on down shifts.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1rbc

most mach 1 motors with bolt ons have about 15lbs more torque then h.p. It should read something like 300h.p 315ftlbs. I have never seen a Mach 1 dyno with less torque especially 25 less. The dyno is clearly showing something is wrong.
You aren't using the mach intakes or cams...don't expect mach numbers.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
You aren't using the mach intakes or cams...don't expect mach numbers.
Actually I am using the mach 1 intake, the only difference is the intake cams. Everything is Mach 1 from Exhaust manifold to TB. Including the wiring harness. You cannot find a mach 1 or a 01 cobra for that matter with just 275ftlbs on a dynojet. Yes, yes, different dynos, got it. Show me any Mach 1 motor, cams whatever with 275ftlbs on any dynojet dyno. I am running higher compression with 04 heads, there is no way my torque can be lower then an 01 cobra motor. So find an 01 cobra motor with 275 tq. Show proof to what your saying please.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yea that's really low. My 99 snake dynoed at 319 hp
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1rbc View Post
OK, I think I found the issue. I just swapped out my coils and my car is driving way smoother and alot more pull. Also no more popping and rumbling on down shifts.
lee1rbc,

I'm sorry to hear you were having trouble with the new motor. It sounds like you found the issue though, after replacing the coils. Is there any other symptoms you're still experiencing or is everything cleared up?

The Air/Fuel looks to be on the rich side. It's possible there's some parameters there were missed in your Bama tune, to lean it out a little more. All of our tunes are hand made, so occasionally, human errors do occur.

Send me over your order number via PM and I'll get your info over to our Lead Bama Tuner to have everything looked over. He'll make any necessary adjustments, if needed.

Also, give me a shout if there's anything else I can assist you with!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
lee1rbc,

I'm sorry to hear you were having trouble with the new motor. It sounds like you found the issue though, after replacing the coils. Is there any other symptoms you're still experiencing or is everything cleared up?

The Air/Fuel looks to be on the rich side. It's possible there's some parameters there were missed in your Bama tune, to lean it out a little more. All of our tunes are hand made, so occasionally, human errors do occur.

Send me over your order number via PM and I'll get your info over to our Lead Bama Tuner to have everything looked over. He'll make any necessary adjustments, if needed.

Also, give me a shout if there's anything else I can assist you with!

Shane
It is running better with the new coils but still stumbles rich. I had called this morning and just finished my data log and e-mailed the info in with the dyno chart. Thanks
Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
It is running better with the new coils but still stumbles rich. I had called this morning and just finished my data log and e-mailed the info in with the dyno chart. Thanks
lee1rbc,

That's good to hear! Let me know how everything turns out or if I can assist you with anything else.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
lee1rbc,

That's good to hear! Let me know how everything turns out or if I can assist you with anything else.

Shane
Thanks, I sent over the DRF files from the dyno so I am feeling really good that bama is going to give me a good tune, I also understand my car is a little beyond the normal bolt on tune. Will dyno again after the new bama tune and post results.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Installed the new tune and the car is much improved, very happy. Hopefully will have a new dyno #s in a couple days.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Installed the new tune and the car is much improved, very happy. Hopefully will have a new dyno #s in a couple days.
Awesome! I'll look forward to the new dyno #s. The lower power band TQ levels should pick up quite a bit since you were only firing correctly on 7 coil plugs last time.

Keep me updated!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
Put some boost to that bad boy!!!! Then you will have numbers you will like.
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by drusmith View Post
Put some boost to that bad boy!!!! Then you will have numbers you will like.
Thats what the guy at the dyno shop said!?!

One of my best friends keeps telling me a Cobra without boost is un-American. He says Cobra stands for Car On Boost Raging Angry.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to drusmith
Quote:
Thats what the guy at the dyno shop said!?!

One of my best friends keeps telling me a Cobra without boost is un-American. He says Cobra stands for Car On Boost Raging Angry.
Single 67mm turbo will do you very well! 6psi. yeah!
drusmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got my car dynoed again with new coils. Nothing against Bama, they actually did a great job of getting me a new tune but I went ahead and got my car dyno tuned.

I also changed my dyno shop, I talked with Mike at Mid Atlantic performance and felt like he really took the time to talk with me about my car. Plus he actually installed a wideband 02 instead of a probe for the dyno. After the tune the car drives amazing especially part throttle drivability.

I uploaded the DRF file from the first dyno day and from today to show the difference. Being that the dyno pulls in the graph are on different dynos I dont worry about peak power but just for note, it was 5 degrees warmer today then on the 5th
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final dyno 3-14-13.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	96000  
Old 03-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
for any car with mods you need a dyno session to fine tune any custom tune you have, it will be rare they are spot on. Its even more rare with my car since you must be VERY careful and I hae no knock sensor.... you have to be careful and get it done right with data logging and updates until its spot on.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Custom tune is always the way to go!
540i6e39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang