Check Engine Light for codes P0171 and P0174 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
Check Engine Light for codes P0171 and P0174

Hey everyone, I thought I might share this issue that I never would have though should/could happen. I recently upgraded a bunch of stuff under the hood of my cobra and one of the things I added was an oil separator. Since one of the upgrades was a smaller pulley for the Eaton, I had the guys at Stage 3 Motorsports send me a tune. After all that was loaded, I started getting the P0171 and P0174 codes. After taking off/on one at a time, I couldn’t find why I was getting these codes. The guys at S3M tried to look at the tune and ensure that everything was good with it and after that was taken off the list of possible issues; I had the wonderful opportunity to start inspecting each and every vacuum line... I found that the PCV rubber elbow from the Eaton just before the connection to the "T" joint was at some point pinched and when I was putting on my oil separator, it must have released the elbow causing a small hole. The unsettling part of this is that when I inspected the elbow inside, it was melted shut on the inside. I have included some pics and thought that since this was a stock cobra that anyone that can’t find a vacuum leak that is throwing both of these codes may want to check this out rather than spending a ton of time looking for something they can’t find. I did have to disconnect the vacuum lines from the rear of the Eaton and also from above the EGR to move large set of lines from behind the Eaton to reach it. Hope this helps anyone out there having these issues. I have attached the pictures of the elbow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCV Elbow.jpeg
Views:	626
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	103544   Click image for larger version

Name:	PCV Elbow 2.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	103545  

Nasty Bite is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang