Has anyone made the hood vents/scoops in a '96 Cobra? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
That should say made them more airflow friendly! Sure looks like I can vent some of the heat in the engine compartment. I'm planning on using my hole saw set then cutting the pad to match making it nice and clean not lookin for ram air or anything like that not expecting any hp gain. Just trying to vent some heat with the headers it gets pretty warm sure seems like a no brainer to me but any positive input or reason not to is welcomed.
Mystic96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Be damn careful with those things especially your Mystic ones. No they don't make any replacements. This is why I always tell ppl looking for a 96-98 Cobra hood to NEVER buy one without the scoops in it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Somewhere there is an article to take out the fog lights and using flex tube vent the low-cool air into the engine compartment. A better long term and reversible mod.

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

Either CJ's or Moss motors has the 96-98 Cobra screen inserts for the hood scoops. I guess i should buy them for someday.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Foglights...? What are you talking about? And the scoops are not just the screens, there is an actual insert that goes in the hood that NOBODY makes and they are like finding a gold nugget these days.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Foglights...? What are you talking about? And the scoops are not just the screens, there is an actual insert that goes in the hood that NOBODY makes and they are like finding a gold nugget these days.
Take out the fog lights from the front spoiler on a 96-8 Cobra and vent the air from there into the engine bay or right into the air cleaner box.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
Take out the fog lights from the front spoiler on a 96-8 Cobra and vent the air from there into the engine bay or right into the air cleaner box.
Yeah, common trick, I thought you were talking about making something work with the hood scoops... probably does not want to ditch his fogs. I always recommend getting a good heat extractor hood or cowl usually but he's a Mystic and getting anything painted is ludicrously expensive. Would actually be cheaper to do the whole car in Mystichrome probably...

Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Holy crapola really Scotty Mystic is that much higher than MystiChrome I did not know that!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Mystic paint is ridiculous... like... RIDICULOUS. You have to go to the dealer and the dealer ONLY. They have to run the VIN to verify that you are indeed a Mystic Cobra and then special order the paint which is ri-cock-ulously expensive. Then a dude with a special license has to deliver it, the dealer does the paint and any leftover paint is returned to the manufacturer, you don't get to keep the extra that YOU paid for. Its all because it uses a pigment that is found in US currency nowadays and its a government controlled substance.

So have fun with those rock chips...

Old 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Brother I already got Mystic touch up paint from SVT there are very few chips and only two dings I need to get fixed dentless body shop said $100 for both. Ursula's super clean only 66,000 mi and I'm a bit anal about keepin her clean unfortunately contemplating selling due to gettin screwed by my lawyer just last Friday. So I won't be doing anything to the hood I'm detailin her and researchin where to start dollar wise it just sucks thanks for the input brother.
It's a good thing her original paint is 9.9 outta ten then ah hahaha!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

66k on that car you should be able to get some coin for. I'd gander on over to the Corral and go into the classified section and search "mystic". You'll see where some other Mystics sold and it'll help you get a baseline. And sorry to hear about having to sell it, some lawyers are just shysters or ****ty and some are good but I guess you got the former. I've kicked around selling mine too to pay off some stuff too, not a good feeling if you like the car.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'm hopin, she's fast all motor too not gonna say how fast I'm really not in the mood for a long distance troll debate on what it takes for a '96 Cobra to be faster than a new GT u know what I mean brother? It only takes a bit to get that started on here all the motor and drivetrain mods were done before me minus the BAMA tune so I can't debate it anyway I just know how she runs ah hahaha!
Old 09-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah those B headed motors are no joke. GLWS if you wind up selling it.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks brother!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Miss my mystic. Awesome cars. Sold mine when I got an 03 cobra 10th anni. Guy then totals it almost killing himself. As for the paint they are not that controlling of it. I got mine painted after a guy did a hit and run. But it is stupid expensive and you don't get much left over. Shop quoted me 9k to paint it and the shop was mad cause they say they should have charged me twice that. Insurance was not happy till they saw the coat then 9 was good to them.
Damiendrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've read of people cutting away the hood liner near firewall to get air in through nostrils and out behind hood.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Be damn careful with those things especially your Mystic ones. No they don't make any replacements. This is why I always tell ppl looking for a 96-98 Cobra hood to NEVER buy one without the scoops in it.
This is true , a few years ago there was a dude on here looking for the nostril scoops, I helped him find them , it took 3 days we finally found them on eBay they were ford oe and dude payed out his butt , I wanna say $300 for the pair
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang