Smoke(?) in the cold/mornings? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Region: California
Smoke(?) in the cold/mornings?

Hi all,
So I bought my 99 cobra a few months back at the beginning of summer. Now that it's getting colder in the morning, I'm noticing some smoke or something coming from the exhaust in the mornings. My cobra is a DD, stock motor, CAI, dual 60mm throttle body, pro chamber mid pipe, and bassani exhaust. I don't know if anything is really wrong w it, I assume it's just moisture evaporating, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions/tips for minimizing or eliminating the smoke in the mornings? It does chew oil a little and gives off a some black smoke when I get on the gas pedal. Any suggestions? Thanks.
-Mark
Red99Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It's perfectly normal for the condensation that collects in the exhaust system , pretty much every time that you shut off the engine, to burn off and turn to steam as the exhaust system gets hot.
You'll notice this even more as we start to get into winter.
The only way that I know of, to minimize this in the mornings, is to park your car in a heated, climate controlled garage at night.
It may still "smoke" a bit even doing that. I dont know. I've never had a heated, climate controlled garage.
Sometimes, it's been debatable if my some of the houses that I've lived in were actually heated... Definitely NEVER climate controlled.

Don't worry about it. All internal combustion engines do it...
Plus, it looks cool.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

Hey thanks for the useful info! Sorry about not responding for so long. I swear I did way back when you first replied, but I guess it didn't work or something. I do like the look of it, but as this is my first mustang, I'm a little overly cautious. Getting scared of all the little things that happen, (I hope) everyone has been there at one point or another with their cars. Thanks again for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Water or steam coming out of the tailpipes is a normal product of combustion. If it's blue smoke, or oil burning only on a cold start up, you most likely have bad valve stem seals that are leaking down into the cc. Have someone start the car in the morning and watch the smoke for color.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If it smells different from normal exhaust, or is anything other than white, then you have a problem. Sometimes my '14 V6 blows out so much condensation that, at a stop, I can't see anything out of my rear windshield. But it has to be hella cold to do that. Totally normal!
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #6

I only get white smoke, and doesn't have any strange smells other than what I get for having a cat less exhaust system. However, I have been told some black smoke comes out the exhaust when I really get on the gas pedal, but it's not a lot and I was told that's pretty normal too.
Since we are on the topic(-ish) of exhaust and such, I also notice I get some black sediment on my rear quarter panels and my trunk lid and rear bumper that bothers me. It's noticeable after like a day or 2 of regular driving. It's my DD and I drive about 20-25 miles a day and of course more on weekends. Any insight on this? Any way I can reduce or eliminate it from happening? Pics included, but that's about 10 days worth of buildup. You can see where I dragged my finger across the dirt to make it show more. I have a porch amber mid pipe and bassani exhaust. Attachment 143252
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1388445586.037144.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	143253
Old 12-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Smoke(?) in the cold/mornings?

One time I was on the highway when it was about 42 outside, and a friend was behind me, I accelerated and white smoke puffed to where I could barely see his car, a Toyota matrix.

The next day in school, he told me something was wrong with my car because of all the exhaust smoke and some water that landed all over his windshield. I just laughed, it's dual exhaust from a 5.0 man, it's gonna make a scene in the cold... Just wait until I get my new exhaust installed at 10 tomorrow.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Cobra View Post
Since we are on the topic(-ish) of exhaust and such, I also notice I get some black sediment on my rear quarter panels and my trunk lid and rear bumper that bothers me. It's noticeable after like a day or 2 of regular driving. It's my DD and I drive about 20-25 miles a day and of course more on weekends. Any insight on this? Any way I can reduce or eliminate it from happening? Pics included, but that's about 10 days worth of buildup. You can see where I dragged my finger across the dirt to make it show more. I have a porch amber mid pipe and bassani exhaust.
Sounds like unspent fuel coming from the exhaust. A certain amount of this is normal if you drive with forced induction or any car that runs rich from the factory. I don't really know when and how it becomes a problem, if you know what I mean. But, in general, that's normal. My V6 has me cleaning my chrome exhaust tips about once a week. I'd assume that spirited driving would also cause more unspent fuel to escape through the exhaust and onto the rear of the car (?).
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red99Cobra View Post
I only get white smoke, and doesn't have any strange smells other than what I get for having a cat less exhaust system. However, I have been told some black smoke comes out the exhaust when I really get on the gas pedal, but it's not a lot and I was told that's pretty normal too.
Since we are on the topic(-ish) of exhaust and such, I also notice I get some black sediment on my rear quarter panels and my trunk lid and rear bumper that bothers me. It's noticeable after like a day or 2 of regular driving. It's my DD and I drive about 20-25 miles a day and of course more on weekends. Any insight on this? Any way I can reduce or eliminate it from happening? Pics included, but that's about 10 days worth of buildup. You can see where I dragged my finger across the dirt to make it show more. I have a porch amber mid pipe and bassani exhaust. Attachment 143252
Attachment 143253
Does this "sediment" feel oily to the touch? If so, take a look underneath the car for any oil leaks.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Does this "sediment" feel oily to the touch? If so, take a look underneath the car for any oil leaks.
Not so much oily, but kinda powder-y. I did check for oil leaks, but did not find anything. A buddy of mine (an experienced mustang enthusiast) thinks its probably a mixture of oil and gas. I'm hoping that a better tune (currently using a BAMA canned tune) will help. I plan to take it to a shop in the near future and have it checked out and get a pro's opinion. I live in the bay area of CA, so hopefully the guys at TPS motorsports (no idea if anyone on here recognizes the name) will get me on the right track. Thanks for everyone's input, I feel a lot better about this.

I'm a relatively new mustang owner (bought my first car, the cobra) in early may 2013. I can tell it was meticulously cared for by the previous owner, but I still get nervous about little things. I'm sure you guys can relate. Thanks again everyone!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang