Should I put on 315s? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Should I put on 315s?

Should I get 315s for the rear and 275 for the front? I'm currently using 275 in the rear and I'm breaking loose to much. Could I put 315s on my wheels? They are the stock 03-04 wheels. Just want some help. I really want some more meat on it
Redsvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsvtcobra View Post
Should I get 315s for the rear and 275 for the front? I'm currently using 275 in the rear and I'm breaking loose to much. Could I put 315s on my wheels? They are the stock 03-04 wheels. Just want some help. I really want some more meat on it
I run 315 in the rear on a 10.5 rim, 275 up front 9 rim...what size are the stock cobra rims? I have seen people successfully run 315 nittos on a 17x9 rim without any problems, but def run better on a 10.5
Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I wouldn't recommend it on the factory wheels. Get a different tire and you should be able to hook, especially at your power level.

If you go 10 or 10.5 rear you will need to grind your rear irs bolts or install low profile bolts like maximum motorsports sells. Will need to roll rear fenders if you're lowered as well.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
You can throw 315s on stock wheels. Im running 12.5 wide tires on my stock 7in explorer wheels on my explorer. they will just bulge over the lip of the rims a lil wont hurt nothin. The one inch wider rule is actually one inch on both sides of the rim.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I wouldn't recommend it on the factory wheels. Get a different tire and you should be able to hook, especially at your power level.

If you go 10 or 10.5 rear you will need to grind your rear irs bolts or install low profile bolts like maximum motorsports sells. Will need to roll rear fenders if you're lowered as well.
I'm on 275 right now. And it has been lowered but not alot.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post
You can throw 315s on stock wheels. Im running 12.5 wide tires on my stock 7in explorer wheels on my explorer. they will just bulge over the lip of the rims a lil wont hurt nothin. The one inch wider rule is actually one inch on both sides of the rim.
Um an explorer actually has a sidewall whereas a Cobra tire with probably a 35 aspect ratio does not have much. Mounting 315s on a 9" wide rim is a ***** and bulges like crazy. I mounted a set of Nitto 555Rs for a buddy and they bulged pretty bad even though Nitto 315s run narrower than a true 315
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nitto 315s run narrow as hell and would be fine on a 9" rim. The lip of my 10.5" wide rims is actually our further than the sidewall of the 315 Nitto 555Rs I have on the car.

As for 275s up front, no they lip out too much. I'd run a 255/40/17 and a 315/35/17. My 265s even lip out a little too much for my liking but that's me.

Now as for width... a wider tire does not necessarily more traction make. If you get a GOOD 275 wide tire for the rear it can hook up very well, maybe better because you are getting more weight per square inch on the tread than you are on a wider tire.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

Um an explorer actually has a sidewall whereas a Cobra tire with probably a 35 aspect ratio does not have much. Mounting 315s on a 9" wide rim is a ***** and bulges like crazy. I mounted a set of Nitto 555Rs for a buddy and they bulged pretty bad even though Nitto 315s run narrower than a true 315
True I totally spaced the sidewalls. Concept is still the same they will fit. Some people dont like the bulge but I do looks better than that hella flush crap where the tire barely makes a bead.
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Nitto 315s run narrow as hell and would be fine on a 9" rim. The lip of my 10.5" wide rims is actually our further than the sidewall of the 315 Nitto 555Rs I have on the car.

As for 275s up front, no they lip out too much. I'd run a 255/40/17 and a 315/35/17. My 265s even lip out a little too much for my liking but that's me.

Now as for width... a wider tire does not necessarily more traction make. If you get a GOOD 275 wide tire for the rear it can hook up very well, maybe better because you are getting more weight per square inch on the tread than you are on a wider tire.
Right now I have the Goodyear tires on it. I need good street tires as well because it is a daily driver. I just have serious traction issues 1st through 3rd.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post

True I totally spaced the sidewalls. Concept is still the same they will fit. Some people dont like the bulge but I do looks better than that hella flush crap where the tire barely makes a bead.
That's true, Hella Flushed cars are just retarded. But seeing a bulged tire just makes me think you can't afford wider wheels to fit the tires properly. I know it's to each his own, but that's just my personal opinion.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Right now I have the Goodyear tires on it. I need good street tires as well because it is a daily driver. I just have serious traction issues 1st through 3rd.
I'm running nitto 555s 275s on the back and first still doesn't grip worth **** lol.
First really has to be eased into.
But once I hit second I grip easy.
Thinking about getting some suspension mods on her to help hook up.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
If you have F1 tires that is your problem. They are ok in the dry, you'll die if it rains and you are caught out with them. At least in my experience.

Mickey Thompson makes a very good street radial that hooks like a mofo and lasts a pretty long time while also being great in the rain. AM carries them and they are comparable to the Nitto 555s.

I have a TON of issues hooking up when the weather cools off in my 555Rs. I actually hate my wheels/tires. 265/40/17 up front and 315/35/17 out back. Not enough sidewall, tire is too short, car is light enough where (IMO) you do not need that wide of a tire etc...

Sucky thing is someone is selling a set of S197 19" wheels with tiers near me brand new. I THINK the rears would fit but I highly doubt the front 245/45/19s would clear... damn...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

I'm running nitto 555s 275s on the back and first still doesn't grip worth **** lol.
First really has to be eased into.
But once I hit second I grip easy.
Thinking about getting some suspension mods on her to help hook up.
Buy a better tire and it will make all the difference. The 555 is a good tire for a gt. You will need a 555r, bfg kdw2, toyo r888 or similar
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

555Rs are great when its hot, I can dump near redline and only minimal spin. Feather the clutch and I'm off like a rocket. Now in these 30 degree temps... grandma driving. Feels like someone put grease on my tires...

Old 12-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If you want meat throw wider tires on it. Theres a ppint wjere it looks like crap though. Like over an inch wider tire:rim I can hook my 285s easy but I have sub frame connectors. Hotchkis lowering springs. And lakewood trac bars. The right tires help too. Definitely try suspension mods
tyler k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler k View Post
If you want meat throw wider tires on it. Theres a ppint wjere it looks like crap though. Like over an inch wider tire:rim I can hook my 285s easy but I have sub frame connectors. Hotchkis lowering springs. And lakewood trac bars. The right tires help too. Definitely try suspension mods
I already have suspension parts and sub frame connectors. I have bilsteen shocks and struts all the way around
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Traction bars it is!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler k View Post
Traction bars it is!
I may have those! Haha. I gotta go through my receipts. The guy who owned it before me did all of the work on it (well pro dyno did) but I gotta check
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well if you've got trac bars then d.o.t. slicks would be your best bet.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Just look for a bar from your rear end to the underbody of your car.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Just look for a bar from your rear end to the underbody of your car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang