Should I put on 315s? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redsvtcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Region: Georgia
Posts: 230
Should I put on 315s?

Should I get 315s for the rear and 275 for the front? I'm currently using 275 in the rear and I'm breaking loose to much. Could I put 315s on my wheels? They are the stock 03-04 wheels. Just want some help. I really want some more meat on it
Redsvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
v8pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Monmouth County, New Jersey
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsvtcobra View Post
Should I get 315s for the rear and 275 for the front? I'm currently using 275 in the rear and I'm breaking loose to much. Could I put 315s on my wheels? They are the stock 03-04 wheels. Just want some help. I really want some more meat on it
I run 315 in the rear on a 10.5 rim, 275 up front 9 rim...what size are the stock cobra rims? I have seen people successfully run 315 nittos on a 17x9 rim without any problems, but def run better on a 10.5
__________________
2002 5spd GT
Feb 2013 Mustang of the Month
v8pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I wouldn't recommend it on the factory wheels. Get a different tire and you should be able to hook, especially at your power level.

If you go 10 or 10.5 rear you will need to grind your rear irs bolts or install low profile bolts like maximum motorsports sells. Will need to roll rear fenders if you're lowered as well.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black99Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 433
You can throw 315s on stock wheels. Im running 12.5 wide tires on my stock 7in explorer wheels on my explorer. they will just bulge over the lip of the rims a lil wont hurt nothin. The one inch wider rule is actually one inch on both sides of the rim.
__________________
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redsvtcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Region: Georgia
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I wouldn't recommend it on the factory wheels. Get a different tire and you should be able to hook, especially at your power level.

If you go 10 or 10.5 rear you will need to grind your rear irs bolts or install low profile bolts like maximum motorsports sells. Will need to roll rear fenders if you're lowered as well.
I'm on 275 right now. And it has been lowered but not alot.
Redsvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post
You can throw 315s on stock wheels. Im running 12.5 wide tires on my stock 7in explorer wheels on my explorer. they will just bulge over the lip of the rims a lil wont hurt nothin. The one inch wider rule is actually one inch on both sides of the rim.
Um an explorer actually has a sidewall whereas a Cobra tire with probably a 35 aspect ratio does not have much. Mounting 315s on a 9" wide rim is a ***** and bulges like crazy. I mounted a set of Nitto 555Rs for a buddy and they bulged pretty bad even though Nitto 315s run narrower than a true 315
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
Nitto 315s run narrow as hell and would be fine on a 9" rim. The lip of my 10.5" wide rims is actually our further than the sidewall of the 315 Nitto 555Rs I have on the car.

As for 275s up front, no they lip out too much. I'd run a 255/40/17 and a 315/35/17. My 265s even lip out a little too much for my liking but that's me.

Now as for width... a wider tire does not necessarily more traction make. If you get a GOOD 275 wide tire for the rear it can hook up very well, maybe better because you are getting more weight per square inch on the tread than you are on a wider tire.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black99Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDF View Post

Um an explorer actually has a sidewall whereas a Cobra tire with probably a 35 aspect ratio does not have much. Mounting 315s on a 9" wide rim is a ***** and bulges like crazy. I mounted a set of Nitto 555Rs for a buddy and they bulged pretty bad even though Nitto 315s run narrower than a true 315
True I totally spaced the sidewalls. Concept is still the same they will fit. Some people dont like the bulge but I do looks better than that hella flush crap where the tire barely makes a bead.
__________________
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redsvtcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Region: Georgia
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Nitto 315s run narrow as hell and would be fine on a 9" rim. The lip of my 10.5" wide rims is actually our further than the sidewall of the 315 Nitto 555Rs I have on the car.

As for 275s up front, no they lip out too much. I'd run a 255/40/17 and a 315/35/17. My 265s even lip out a little too much for my liking but that's me.

Now as for width... a wider tire does not necessarily more traction make. If you get a GOOD 275 wide tire for the rear it can hook up very well, maybe better because you are getting more weight per square inch on the tread than you are on a wider tire.
Right now I have the Goodyear tires on it. I need good street tires as well because it is a daily driver. I just have serious traction issues 1st through 3rd.
Redsvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mile high JDF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thronton
Region: Colorado
Posts: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake View Post

True I totally spaced the sidewalls. Concept is still the same they will fit. Some people dont like the bulge but I do looks better than that hella flush crap where the tire barely makes a bead.
That's true, Hella Flushed cars are just retarded. But seeing a bulged tire just makes me think you can't afford wider wheels to fit the tires properly. I know it's to each his own, but that's just my personal opinion.
__________________
Sold - Black 2000 Mustang GT, gone but definitely not forgotten
- Silver 2007 Corvette
Current - DHG 2001 Bullitt
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
xhgwx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsvtcobra View Post

Right now I have the Goodyear tires on it. I need good street tires as well because it is a daily driver. I just have serious traction issues 1st through 3rd.
I'm running nitto 555s 275s on the back and first still doesn't grip worth **** lol.
First really has to be eased into.
But once I hit second I grip easy.
Thinking about getting some suspension mods on her to help hook up.
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsvtcobra View Post
Right now I have the Goodyear tires on it. I need good street tires as well because it is a daily driver. I just have serious traction issues 1st through 3rd.
If you have F1 tires that is your problem. They are ok in the dry, you'll die if it rains and you are caught out with them. At least in my experience.

Mickey Thompson makes a very good street radial that hooks like a mofo and lasts a pretty long time while also being great in the rain. AM carries them and they are comparable to the Nitto 555s.

I have a TON of issues hooking up when the weather cools off in my 555Rs. I actually hate my wheels/tires. 265/40/17 up front and 315/35/17 out back. Not enough sidewall, tire is too short, car is light enough where (IMO) you do not need that wide of a tire etc...

Sucky thing is someone is selling a set of S197 19" wheels with tiers near me brand new. I THINK the rears would fit but I highly doubt the front 245/45/19s would clear... damn...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhgwx

I'm running nitto 555s 275s on the back and first still doesn't grip worth **** lol.
First really has to be eased into.
But once I hit second I grip easy.
Thinking about getting some suspension mods on her to help hook up.
Buy a better tire and it will make all the difference. The 555 is a good tire for a gt. You will need a 555r, bfg kdw2, toyo r888 or similar
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,606
555Rs are great when its hot, I can dump near redline and only minimal spin. Feather the clutch and I'm off like a rocket. Now in these 30 degree temps... grandma driving. Feels like someone put grease on my tires...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
tyler k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: celestine
Region: Indiana
Posts: 22
If you want meat throw wider tires on it. Theres a ppint wjere it looks like crap though. Like over an inch wider tire:rim I can hook my 285s easy but I have sub frame connectors. Hotchkis lowering springs. And lakewood trac bars. The right tires help too. Definitely try suspension mods
tyler k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redsvtcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Region: Georgia
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler k View Post
If you want meat throw wider tires on it. Theres a ppint wjere it looks like crap though. Like over an inch wider tire:rim I can hook my 285s easy but I have sub frame connectors. Hotchkis lowering springs. And lakewood trac bars. The right tires help too. Definitely try suspension mods
I already have suspension parts and sub frame connectors. I have bilsteen shocks and struts all the way around
Redsvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
tyler k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: celestine
Region: Indiana
Posts: 22
Traction bars it is!
tyler k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Redsvtcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Savannah
Region: Georgia
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler k View Post
Traction bars it is!
I may have those! Haha. I gotta go through my receipts. The guy who owned it before me did all of the work on it (well pro dyno did) but I gotta check
Redsvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
tyler k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: celestine
Region: Indiana
Posts: 22
Well if you've got trac bars then d.o.t. slicks would be your best bet.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Just look for a bar from your rear end to the underbody of your car.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Just look for a bar from your rear end to the underbody of your car.
tyler k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:28 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.