E-85? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
E-85?

Kicking around the idea of converting my 96 Cobra to run E85.

Pro's vs Con's?

Can you still run 91/92 gas?

Power gains or losses?

Cost? What all do I need.

How much labor/can I do this myself. I have mid level mechanical skills. My Brother is a is a mechanic for a dealership. He has came to my rescue more than once lol.

Will I need a new tune? Guessing yes... Wondering if I have to retune every time I switch from Ethanol to Gas or vice versa <-- if this is even possible.

My reason is, E-85 is readily available around here. They make the stuff just up the road form me. It's 100 octane and it's usually $1.00 or more cheaper than premium.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #2

Region: Alabama
I hear w a good tune u can pick up some major HP and TQ numbers
modded96stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You can do it... But it won't be worth it. E85 builds for street cars are best with big forced induction setups. You could make the conversion, but it will take a rebuild and a lot of work. It would be cool tho I guess.
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

From what I am reading on some sites is 10% gains are possible. Nobody can confirm with dyno numbers. My biggest benefit, would be paying almost $1 less than 91/92 around here. I hear it's a better, cleaner fuel. 105 octane at most stations. However fuel economy is reduced by 17% or more.

Trying to get a feel for what this would cost. I have all winter to put it into effect as the Cobra just sits in storage.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
if your fuel economy is reduced so drastically, your initial savings on gas would go deep into the negatives with having to refuel more often as well as the cost of the conversion.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRed6 View Post
if your fuel economy is reduced so drastically, your initial savings on gas would go deep into the negatives with having to refuel more often as well as the cost of the conversion.

This is my dilemma. Is more power and less fuel economy worth the change over price. Will the cost balance out or will I save in the long run.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
i dont see it as a good way to go. it sounds like a money pit thats just gonna get deeper.i mean really. if it costs say a thousand dollars to do the conversion. youll havta buy 1000 gallons of gas before youd ever break even.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

for the money it would costs to do the conversion, im sure you could invest into some form of FI and be a whole lot better off power wise.
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang