Shifting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Shifting

Hey guys,
So I've been driving the cobra for a few days now and it's my first time with a manual. I've gotten pretty decent at shifting, but I can't really shift fast. Anyone have some pointers? When I shift I put the clutch to the floor and completely let off the gas.

I must say however, I do have a newfound respect for giving other drivers room at a stop. Nothing is more irritating in a manual when cars get right up on you especially on a hill. I'm working on perfecting where the friction point is, but like earlier today I revved up a bit more and let out the clutch a bit faster to prevent me from rolling back and burned like 5 ft of rubber. (Oops)
Jlp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I think muscle memory and experience with the car will yield the shifting speed you want. Just find that sweet spot and try to hit it every time. I'm jealous that you get to drive a manual cobra I was close to trading mine for a 99.
LukeRailey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the response. It is fun lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Earlier when I was driving the cobra it was cold and the engine hadn't warmed up yet. I was going easy but the tranny didn't want to shift into 2nd. It was really weird just kept going "Zzzzz zzz"
Old 04-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Synchro probably getting bad. It takes lots of driving to master your car.
royalpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlp06 View Post
Hey guys,
So I've been driving the cobra for a few days now and it's my first time with a manual. I've gotten pretty decent at shifting, but I can't really shift fast. Anyone have some pointers? When I shift I put the clutch to the floor and completely let off the gas.

I must say however, I do have a newfound respect for giving other drivers room at a stop. Nothing is more irritating in a manual when cars get right up on you especially on a hill. I'm working on perfecting where the friction point is, but like earlier today I revved up a bit more and let out the clutch a bit faster to prevent me from rolling back and burned like 5 ft of rubber. (Oops)
if your on a hill, what you can do is with foot on brake, slowy let the clutch out till you feel it grad, then move foot to gas and apply throttle, instead of having to do it real quick and it should help whitout doing a little burnout or stalling it out.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Shifting

D'oh! Use the parking brake to start out on hills. Put the car in 1st, hold the parking brake lever up, keeping the release button pressed. Move your right foot from the brake to the gas and start releasing the clutch as normal. Once you feel the car tugging against the parking brake, gradually release it as you ease in more clutch and throttle. Done correctly, there is zero roll back.

-Jeff-
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
MGW SS shifter will make it fun.
LINK:MT-82 SHORT THROW SHIFTER
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the input guys
Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
D'oh! Use the parking brake to start out on hills. Put the car in 1st, hold the parking brake lever up, keeping the release button pressed. Move your right foot from the brake to the gas and start releasing the clutch as normal. Once you feel the car tugging against the parking brake, gradually release it as you ease in more clutch and throttle. Done correctly, there is zero roll back.

-Jeff-

A I do the same thing lol

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Bonezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang