Insurance for 1998 or 2001 Cobra? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Insurance for 1998 or 2001 Cobra?

I'm 16 And looking into it being my first car. How much would you think the insurance coverage on a car like this (stock) would be? Monthly? Yearly? And would it be classified as just a Mustang? Since it's not super charged like the '03 model.
Cobra0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
if your worried about insurance costs...
can you afford to buuuuy the cobra?
how about the fuel?
for 16 year old kid under his own name prob be like 350 a month...
some people ride dirtbikes, some people buy boats and go fishing..
we drive mustangs...
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, my dad would buy the car for me. I guess you could say I'm spoiled. But it's a turn off for him if he has to pay and arm and leg every month. Could he put the cobra under his name and sign me as a secondary driver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra0415 View Post
I'm 16 And looking into it being my first car. How much would you think the insurance coverage on a car like this (stock) would be? Monthly? Yearly? And would it be classified as just a Mustang? Since it's not super charged like the '03 model.

Your best bet is to contact your insurance agent and ask. It doesn't matter what anyone here says, you will be paying whatever your agent says. You should find out what cars they will be willing to insure before you start looking or you will end up wasting your time, and will leave yourself open for disappointment if you get your heart set on a particular car first only to find our after the fact that you can't afford the insurance.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It will vary but your best bet is to just try to be under your dad. That's probably your best shot
Zinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
it's a turn off for him if he has to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc View Post
It will vary but your best bet is to just try to be under your dad. That's probably your best shot

I am in the weird part of the forum again
Old 04-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dude if you have to pay that will suck but full coverage by your self would be any where from $200-400 with your day $200-350 somewhere around those prices
Zinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #8

I'll try to get with our insurance company today to see how much they say. I'll let y'all know how much they say later.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

do you even know where to get a cobra or are you just wishing...
I find young kids like yourself start out wanting something bad as s
like the cobra and end up with a sixxer lol
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #10

My uncle actually owns a Ford dealership down here in Texas. He has a couple used Cobras. My whole family from my dad's side has gotten their car through him. He tries his best to hook it up pretty good. But I've also been keeping my eye out for private sellers and other dealers.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just don't settle with something... if you guys find a different car no matter how great of a deal.... just hold out until you can get a cobra or atleast a gt lol
I did that when I was young, wanted a car... couldn't find the one I wanted so i ended up buying a truck... shoulda just waited longer
Old 04-01-2014, 05:59 PM   #12

Thanks for the advice. My ego wouldn't even let me get a truck, or even a GT. I'd have to get the Cobra, knowing it's the fastest model of that year and the other models are slower, so I could be happy with myself. Lol I want to have one of the strongest, if not the strongest, car at my school.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm a secondary driver on my '05 GT and I'm like $140ish a month. Also depends on your academics, DO WELL IN SCHOOL! Insurance companies love that!
NFloris_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. My ego wouldn't even let me get a truck, or even a GT. I'd have to get the Cobra, knowing it's the fastest model of that year and the other models are slower, so I could be happy with myself. Lol I want to have one of the strongest, if not the strongest, car at my school.
Whatever you get I would make sure you get it for the right reasons and not just to try and impress other kids at your school or to brag about HP numbers. I remember when I graduated high school the school news paper did a story on the 'top 10 nicest cars in the parking lot' and my 2000 WS6 Trans Am was voted number 2 (which I worked my *** off for). Would have been number 1 but some spoiled girl got her daddy to buy her a brand new C6. Moral of the story can't control what everyone else has so its important just to learn to be happy with what you. Even if you have the fastest car in your school there will be faster cars in your area. 98-01 cobras are slow by todays standards and have the same power that the V6's have now a days.

And to answer your question more then likely you will be on your parents policy who more then likely have several discounts such as multi line and multi car that shouldn't make the insurance to bad. Although I'd be careful, speeding tickets aren't expensive to pay the fine, but the insurance increase is a PITA.

Another rule of thumb is generally an older car will be less expensive even though the power is the same. When I was pricing insurance on my last car a 2003 Nissan 350Z was $60 less a month then a 2006 even though its the exact same car.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Call the company, get a quote vs asking on an online forum that will be able to give you precisely 0 accurate information.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang