01 svt cobra 3rd gear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
Region: Illinois
01 svt cobra 3rd gear

I recently bought an 01 svt cobra. When shifting all gears work fine except to shift into third gear without it trying to grind i have to let it drop below 2k rpms. Any ideas why? So far i was told it might be the sync row however you spell it

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Ic3man93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
This is common with the 3650.
The lowest cost "fix" to try to help with the "third gear wall" is to drain the fluid from the transmission and refill it with Mobil 1 synthetic automatic transmission fluid.
Many of the TR3650 transmissions were over filled at the factory and during subsequent fluid changes and this can cause "windage" problems at high RPM's and makes the transmission very difficult to shift.
The correct amount is precisely 3.2 quarts of transmission fluid.

If this doesn't solve, or at least help, your problem, then yes, it's most likely the synchro's in the transmission.

straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Region: New Jersey
Early run 3650s were notorious for syncrho issues and overfilling caused windage issues. The good news is a rebuilt one is not exactly breaking the bank and they are not very hard to swap out if you can get access to a lift.

I'd try 3.2 quarts of Pennzoil Synchromesh and see what that does. If not... probly a shot syncrho or something else boogered up internally. I just put a rebuilt 3650 in my 98 and it practically falls into gear at 6k. I hear all sorts of 3650 horror stories but when they are updated with all the TSBs, they are great transmissions.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang