Completely Dead Battery! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Completely Dead Battery!

My car had been in my garage for a while being stored for the winter and went to take my best girl yesterday out to a nice restaurant. Well the battery was so dead that it would not even jump start! Is this a common thing? Should I keep a battery tender on my Cobra?
Lamps3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
If you store a car for long periods, you need to do a couple things. As you said a battery tender is good way to go. Alternate route, is start the car the weekly, and let it get to operating temp. Other things that you need is fuel stabilizer. It keeps the gas from getting old, and keeps from rusting the inside of your gas tank. Being its a fuel injected, DOHC car, those basically the only things that are mandatory, or things are optional.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Trouble shooting battery drain for normal or parasitic draw:
Start with freshly charged battery.
Need a volt meter with the 3rd input to measure DC volt amperage. Put red lead into that hole.
Remove the negative battery terminal. Put one lead on negative battery post and the other lead on the negative terminal. This will complete circuit showing amp draw. Anything in high miliamps, close to 1 amp may be the culprit. Removing each fuse one by one until amps zero out will present circuit with issue. Also unplug the alternator feed wire off of the top and check meter. No or minimal draw will lead you to the battery itself or alternator.
Hope it helps, or maybe helps another time.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
If you store a car for long periods, you need to do a couple things. As you said a battery tender is good way to go. Alternate route, is start the car the weekly, and let it get to operating temp. Other things that you need is fuel stabilizer. It keeps the gas from getting old, and keeps from rusting the inside of your gas tank. Being its a fuel injected, DOHC car, those basically the only things that are mandatory, or things are optional.

Adventure till you drop
I have lucas oil fuel stabilizer/cleaner for the system. Put a battery tender on her today!!

Also thanks for the voltmeter info. I dont have one so for me the battery tender is the best solution. Thanks to you both for your quick replies!
God Bless, Rickey
Lamps3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang