96 Cobra worth buying? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
96 Cobra worth buying?

Here's the link to the ad for it

1996 Mustang Cobra

Decent list of mods and looks fairly clean. Miles are a little higher than I prefer, but if its well kept and clean that's a trade off I'm willing to make. I know there's several things I'll want to ask about. Particularly the gears, which are not listed, to see if the cooling mod was done by ford, and to see if the guy has had any problems with the IMRC's not opening up once they reach the higher RPMs. Is there anything else I need to be aware of, besides normal wear and tear? Also, is that a decent price? Obviously there's negotiations to be had if I were to pursue it.

For me, I'm basically looking for a fun street car and I may take to the strip a few times a year. It will not be my DD, as I have a 2008 focus for those duties. Just want a fun car to drive around. I believe these guys come with the teksid block so the potential to build it down the road into a decent little beast is an option too.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
My brother! You want this car, I can tell. You work hard and deserve this car. Before someone else buys it, buy it. If you hate it, in a couple of years If you still have it, I will buy it from you and use it as my dd.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
I like it. It would be nice seeing it more on the forum.

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_DIB_GTCS View Post
Here's the link to the ad for it

1996 Mustang Cobra

Decent list of mods and looks fairly clean. Miles are a little higher than I prefer, but if its well kept and clean that's a trade off I'm willing to make. I know there's several things I'll want to ask about. Particularly the gears, which are not listed, to see if the cooling mod was done by ford, and to see if the guy has had any problems with the IMRC's not opening up once they reach the higher RPMs. Is there anything else I need to be aware of, besides normal wear and tear? Also, is that a decent price? Obviously there's negotiations to be had if I were to pursue it.

For me, I'm basically looking for a fun street car and I may take to the strip a few times a year. It will not be my DD, as I have a 2008 focus for those duties. Just want a fun car to drive around. I believe these guys come with the teksid block so the potential to build it down the road into a decent little beast is an option too.
One thing to look for is an adjustable clutch quadrant as they came stock with a non-adjustable one. That's a lot of miles on the DOHC 4.6l. The block is good and crank is steel but the rods and pistons.................I put 12lb boost to my 97 and broke the motor and it only had 32,000. The T45's are a little weak and if nothing has been done to the trans taking it to the strip...you may leave pieces there as the syncro's were an issue. The car came with 3.23's stock and 3.73's make it fun to drive. My 97 had the same springs and it needed a panhard and relocation brackets on the LCA's to make it handle. It's certainly not like driving my 14 TrakPak and by the time everything was sorted out it did 328rwhp N/A, and 479rwhp with 12psi boost when I broke the motor. I also had FPRP headers and Bassani 3" cat'd pipes and mufflers. Remember that originally they came with 4 cats, two per side and the Bassani only had one per side. That along made for almost 15rwhp.
If the car is nice and you don't mind working on it............I'd try for $5500.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
My brother! You want this car, I can tell. You work hard and deserve this car. Before someone else buys it, buy it. If you hate it, in a couple of years If you still have it, I will buy it from you and use it as my dd.
I just want to be in a mustang again and I'm trying to figure out if this is the right one for me.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

So your avatar, that's not your car? I'm sorry I'm just wanting to clarify.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nope its my old stang that I sold in december. I was gonna finish off the last bit of my student loans and then get back into a stang, but I'm really starting to miss cruising around in one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

I say go for it. Decent car, good price and a lot of potential.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

96 Cobra worth buying?

Double post.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #10

Region: New Jersey
I would check it out mechanically, and if it looks good, get it. I think the price for SN95s has bottomed out, and is starting to go back up, as they become more rare.
Windveil05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just my two cents, but if you're looking at saving money, you could probably land yourself a good condition 2valve for about half that. I know its not as impressive, but atleast you wouldn't have to worry about the miles since they're juggernauts.

Clean car for sure though. I don't think the 130k is that bad. For 6500 though, you're almost in Mach 1 territory.
Strata197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

People are wanting 10k plus for Mach 1s. Definitely not going that route.

People seem to be asking way too much for a decent 2v as well. One of the best sounding mustangs IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Get it, mod it, post it, keep it. Did I leave anything out? Or let Bit buy it.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
After a quick inspection, look over, test drive, ect..
Very nicely priced.
Looks like a great deal to me.
Got mine dirt cheap 3 years ago at $5K from a rich dude I worked for, 73,000 miles on it.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Looks like the mods he's done to it are normal and the clutch he put in is GREAT. Actually WAY overkill but you won't need a clutch if you upgrade the motor lol.

It is priced very fairly and I bet he'd take $6k if you showed up with $$$.

Olerodder mentioned the transmission and the rods/pistons. I agree with him on the trans, the 96-98 transmissions had paper blocker rings which are not super durable and a badly designed 5/R slider. Almost ALL of them have issues getting into or out of reverse and have problems with high RPM shifts so you will want to check how easy it goes in and out of reverse. Try a 6k+rpm shift from 1st to 2nd quickly and see if it is smooth, I am willing to bet it won't be if its the original trans.

As far as the rods/pistons... they're not a problem NA and even with boost they are fine if you are careful. 12lbs of boost... yeah well duh that is going to blow up the 4.6L stock rods/pistons lol. Could be a brand new stock motor and it would have problems at that level.

Basically, I'd go with $6k cash if you really want it and see about the transmission before anything else. If you still want the car and are planning on doing the trans it would be a good way to bring the price down even further. On the off chance its rebuilt or is still in really good shape then that's a good thing, just be aware that the original 96-98 units are problematic. The 99-01 T45s are actually really really REALLY good.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang