First mods for my 97 Cobra - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
A better LINK to MMR and their cool *** inventions~
LINK:
DOHC Engine Components
AND, A Great Q&A LINK regarding our cars 2V AND 4V:
http://www.alternativeauto.com/Tech_...L_Mustang.html
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Never have seen a 96/97 or 98 Cobra with "6" catalytic converters.........my 97 came from the factory with 2 per side.........that equals 4 last time I counted....unless you are talking about the resonators......
YES SIR, You Are Correct. I apologize.

Should of worded it differently, there are 6 components that are restrictive and I desperately wanted to replace with a more modern substitute.
*~My remedy was new stainless steel down pipes with 2 hi-flow cats, piped into a ProChamber mid-pipe, with Spintech 9000 mufflers, and finally,.. DrGas exhaust pipe tips.

I LOVE these tips & SLP has nice ones too.
DrGAS TIPS~ LINK: ~Dr. Gas Stainless Steel Tip
Old 09-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Just ordered 4.10s the other day! Excited to have them put in.

1997 Cobra
Tplanck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

I beat a 350z tonight with it all stock. Can't wait to get gears, exhaust and a tune on it and see how it runs!

1997 Cobra
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tplanck View Post
Just ordered 4.10s the other day! Excited to have them put in.

1997 Cobra
Awesome! Have Fun!!
~You ordered FRPP gears, not Motive, Richmond or some other brand, right?
My Mustang shop exclusively uses Amsoil 75W-110 Severe Gear Fluid and Ford Friction Modifier in all 94-04 differentials.
Some people use 75W-90 & some use 75W-140 in their cars. To each, their own, I guess.

I haven't installed my 4:10 gears yet. PLEASE let us know how you feel once youve cruised around a while. I bet it will be soooo awesome! Have Fun!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:45 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I just got the complete gear install set from American Muscle. But yes they were ford gears

1997 Cobra
Old 09-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just got the complete gear install set from American Muscle. But yes they were ford gears

1997 Cobra
Yeahhh!!!
I cant wait to get mine. Tell us what you think!
Old 09-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Called around to a couple of places and one place is trying to say it will take 5 hours to do at 115$ an hour seems steep to me what do you guys think

1997 Cobra
Old 09-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Typical for a gear install. It will not take any good shop 5 hours to do but if their book says 5 hours... shops do go by book time.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:46 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I don't have to much of a choice... I'm not going to take my car to a non reputable shop

1997 Cobra
Old 09-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are decent with tools there are a ton of youtube vids on how to do Ford gears and it'd probably be cheaper to buy the special tools you need and then have them and gained knowledge vs paying a shop $600 to do the install once.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

To be honest with you I'm not that mechanically skilled. I can do the basics change oil, spark plugs ex. But I don't think I would trust myself on that job yet

1997 Cobra
Old 09-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Found a place to do it for 400. They were the cheapest around Louisville. Dropping it off tomorrow night.

1997 Cobra
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

I'm SUPER excited about my Cobra for first time since i bought it 3 years ago!
-My 96 Cobra will be getting FRPP 4:10 gears and a new mini, high torque starter, and McLeod clutch beginning of next week.
-H&R SS springs with Koni shocks/struts too. C/C plates, X2 Balljoints, bumpsteer kit too, if i can afford the labor.
**I have been collecting parts the past 2-3 years, stacking them up in our bedroom and will finally get the very first set of goodies put on! Finally!!
-I have a BREMBO brake package with rotors, pads, ss brake lines and the mini rebuild kits for each caliper that I will install myself.
-A new exhaust system using stock headers, new (slightly used) down pipes, hi-flow cats, ProChamber, Spintech 9000 mufflers, new O2 sensors/extensions, MIL eliminators too , just in case. I will put on myself too.
-~Brakes & Exhaust will be done myself only because my brother n law has a garage and tools and he's a mechanic by trade. So, that helps.
.!. -Prior to all this, all I've done myself is wires, plugs, coils, serpentine belt, alternator, tires, all the filters, oil separator on PCV line, easy kind of stuff.
Time For Some Improvement & FUN!
Old 09-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Cool man. Anyone got any recommendations on what catback exhaust I should get. I'm going to put on off roads H pipes. Not really wanting to go with an x because I want to keep the raspy sound to a minimum. But I still want a loud deep tone. Any suggestions?

1997 Cobra
Old 09-23-2015, 11:39 PM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Dynomax Ultra Flow. $400 or $425 shipped from Summit I can't remember exactly. Mild but noticable at idle zero drone on the highway and will SCREAM when you punch it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 09-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post

Tuner.

Pick your poison.
How exactly do you become a "MEtech" on here?
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Cool man. Anyone got any recommendations on what catback exhaust I should get. I'm going to put on off roads H pipes. Not really wanting to go with an x because I want to keep the raspy sound to a minimum. But I still want a loud deep tone. Any suggestions?

1997 Cobra

It sounds like you have the same taste in exhaust as me.

Scotty's suggestion is good: dynomax ultraflow

One option that my ears fell in love with is the Mac Flowpath mufflers. I ordered some and will weld them in the day they show up. the only issue there is that Macperformance has a system they call "made-to-order" As in, people order them, and then the make just enough to equal the demand for them and send it out to who ordered them. So its a (slightly) longer wait.

I'm gonna weld them into my stock Cat-back on my 99 cobruh. Stock H pipes and manifolds. Hopefully it will sound low and growly, but still pissed off at WOT. This is already the loudest bone-stock exhaust system I have ever heard
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #54
Staff
Regular
Staff

Flowpaths sound real good and aren't super common. One of the reasons I liked my Dynomax so much is nobody knew wtf exhaust I had and I was the only one I knew who had them.

Another one that is a little more well known but you still rarely see someone have is Spintechs. Those sound AMAZING and are pretty distinct.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Got the new gears in today. The car definitely pulls harder. The roads were wet out because it had been raining all day. So I didn't get to make any really good runs. I would just spin tires if I tried to take off because of the wet roads. To the people who say 1st gear isn't usable.. You are very wrong. You can without a doubt still use it. I'm glad I didn't go with anything lower than 4.10s. This car really needed it. If I wasn't kinda broke and cared about gas mileage I would have went a little steeper. I did notice the Rpms were about 190 to 200 rpms higher than they normally would be. I don't really think it was a "night and day" difference like so people over exaggerate. But it was a nice little pick up in the take off and how it "pulls".

1997 Cobra
Old 09-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

I have an exhaust leak in my headers, so I'm going to go ahead and do a full new exhaust. What are some good headers?

1997 Cobra
Old 09-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have an exhaust leak in my headers, so I'm going to go ahead and do a full new exhaust. What are some good headers?

1997 Cobra
Bassani mid-length is best bet for headers-
Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I had one of the first sets of MAC long tubes for my 97 Cobra...I had them ceramic coated on the inside/outside and they worked very well...I had the 1-5/8"....later went to 1-7/8" with the blower.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #59
Registered Member

Regular

The only issue is that you never know what's under their hood...and even if you do have a chance to see are they telling you the truth or hiding something.
It's never a good feeling to be beat if it's a car length or just by .001 second..there is always someone who has a faster car.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

This guy wants to trade me a 94 gt body with a 351 roller in it. Says his wife wants a convertible. He says that it makes 400+ hp. I'm not sure if that's true or not. I don't know very much about that motor. Here is the list of mods he says he has :
Mustang GT with a built fuel injected 351 roller motor. 6" Cowl hood 303 roller cam-hits a nice lick Edelbrock Performer RPM upper and lower intakes Trick Flow elbow BBK cold air intake BBK 70mm throttle body 24 lb injectors MSD distributor and coil Trick Flow valve covers Roller rockers Canton high capacity race oil pan and high volume oil pump B&M short throw shifter BBK long tubes into off-road x pipe Magnaflow exhaust-sounds amazing with dumps at rear axle Aluminum driveshaft 3:73 gears Steel motor mounts Welded in frame connectors FR500s 18x9 fronts 18x10 rears with very good tires A/c delete, but could be added back on Hot heat Factory Mach radio works great Nice grey leather with normal wear It only has 115k miles. YES speedo and odometer both works. Mileage is actually less due to rear gears causing it to run faster. actual Mileage is closer to 100. This car was built right, no junk here. It runs VERY STRONG!

Idk if that will make that much power. Let me know what you think!

1997 Cobra
Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular

So, just a couple of questions that need answering...what year is the motor?
Easy to look at the motor number to see when it was made. Assuming it was a stock roller motor it's a 94 or newer motor...not the strongest foundation to start with and if you are trying for more than 400HP on N/A motor the shortblock really has to have been put together right it you want it to live a long life. What was done to the rotating assembly or is it all stock?
A SBF motor responds extremely well when you deep six the OE heads. A set of 58cc chambers with 2.08 intakes and 1.6 exhaust along with the 303 cam and good set of long tube headers and the Edelbrock upper and lower intake will give you 400HP....without the heads you can figure on 350 or less depending on the chamber size of the heads and if they've been ported/polished/matched. You can spend a lot of money on stock heads and get almost nothing out of them.
It kills me how people throw numbers around without ever really knowing what the motor can do....without numbers from an engine dyno there just isn't any proof and without proof most people are just blowing smoke and don't have a clue.
My last 408 motor tuned 9.80's with a single 850cfm 4 barrel looking carb and it always amazed me that other racers would came over and asked me how much HP it was making and most of time I'd just laugh.
I believe very few people and when a stranger tells me he is making xxxHP I ask for some proof and when he tells me it's never been on a dyno but a magazine did a similar motor or a buddy did a similar motor and it made xxxHP...I just usually smile and walk the other way.
Sorry I didn't mean to rant....if you really want to know how much HP the car has ask him for some time slips...my guess is he has none.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

No he said he has never had it on a dyno or at the track. He said he got it six months ago and just wants something new to mess with. And he said his wife wants and convertible. That's where my car comes in lol. But I'm not sure what year the motor is. All I know is exactly what I posted on here. I am going to check the car out this week. With what I told you how much horsepower would you expect if you get give me a rough estimate. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it!

1997 Cobra
Old 10-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

I will ask him what year the motor is and if anything has been done to the rotating assembly. This is my first time really messing with a car that doesn't have the original engine that came in the car.

1997 Cobra
Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Never mind the guy texted me just now saying he sold the car last night.

1997 Cobra
Old 10-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Exhaust manifold leak repair. Passenger side has a gasket to replace when disassembled.
I have gotten O2 sensor codes in the past when not replacing the gasket with new.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys I know that they say you shouldn't put 10 inch wide tires in the front, but on AM they have a set of rims on sale that I like and they only have 18x10s. And I looked around everywhere for 18x9s in the front and no one has them unless you want to buy a set of 4. The rims are on close out and thus AM doesn't even have 18x9. Let me know if you think I can pull it off. Thanks. Attachment 192246

1997 Cobra
Old 10-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Our cars, lowered will rub without tubbing.
If you Google the words "5 X 114.3" & the name of the wheel you want, you will find it.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Just tried a IMRC cleaning.. Well when we tried to start the car back up its was smoking a little bit and the injectors were leaking a little gas.. Any ideas of what to do next? I was told to get some new O rings for the injectors. But as for the smoke I have no clue.

1997 Cobra
Old 10-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Got it all worked out. Didn't have the injectors all the way in

1997 Cobra

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang