96 cobra surges of power - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
96 cobra surges of power

When i start my car after siting all night it turns over then revs up then dies over and over. I have to keep my foot in the gas to warm it up and the rpms will go up ans down at the same level i have the gas pressed. Once warm it idles really low and when i drive it its looses power ans gains power as i accelerate? New iac and maf all I can think is fuel injectors as they are still stock could this be it?
carnellrules3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
That could very well be a vaccum leak in the intake tract. Do you know how to test for intake air leaks? iac and maf could also be factors, but make sure you don't have any leaks first.

Does your car still have the IMRCs in it? I hear those can cause related problems.
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well if i spray crab cleaner under the intake while running it will idle up so its a intake leak? An that could cause the having to hold the pedal down to get it running. Once it warms up it idles but very low and loafing. Maybe the leak gap gets filled some when it warms up the gasket expands or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you found the problem 👍🏻

Sent from Rapinators trunk
parkerz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerz28 View Post
Sounds like you found the problem 👍🏻

Sent from Rapinators trunk

So more thank likely its the intake .
Old 09-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Careful with sucking in too much carb cleaner into the intake.
Hopefully you already have it resolved by now.
Reminds me to suggest, if you haven't already installed one, an air separator/filter inline with your PCV tubing lines is a good, good thing to have. ~I have a cheap Steeda unit but I'm waiting on UPR to sell their multi-tiered unit outright as a universal piece I can use in place of the one I got now.
Apologize For Rambling GOOD LUCK!
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Its going to the shop tonight to get the intake pulled and fix the leak i hope it solves the problem considering its not a cheap repair but nothing is with a cobra.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Got her tore down gaskets were flat as a pancake. They sent a GT sohc gasket kit instead of COBRA kit should have replacement tomorrow then putting it back together!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441929857751.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	190952   Click image for larger version

Name:	1441929872889.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	190953  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1441929888359.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	190954  
Old 09-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

SORRY-
It would be an understatement to say Thai would of not been understanding or forgiving if a GT part was sent.
I am furious for you!
Whomever placed the order and the tech who diagnosed it would NEVER get within 100 feet of my Cobra. No appologogies, No paying for the correct part, and I would stand over the shoulder of the new tech making the repairs.
If you see any kind of other defeciencies appearant when repairs are being made again, they will replace it for free, after doing your homework, if you see a nut or bolt tightened to wrong specs, stop them & have them order new gaskets and bolts again due to unforgivable ignorance, distracted stupidity. When that head is pulled, I would demand proper intake cleaning, IMRC plate function inspection & cleaning, Every vacuum line inspected for cracks. And a 100% operation inspection of every devise atop of the engine.
NO EXCUSE TO DELIVER ANOTHER CARS PARTS. None!
Shame.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It was the parts stores in town there computers said the gt and cobra has the same gaskets my shop just ended up going and looking at it and getting it himself. Monday it should be done! People at the parts stores dont have to have any knowledge to work there!

Old 09-16-2015, 01:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

GREAT!
Can't wait for you to be
E back on the road again!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

All back together and still will not run until it is warmed up and idles rough what is next ? It already has a IAC valve and MAF.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

All back together and still will not run until it is warmed up and idles rough what is next ? It already has a IAC valve and MAF.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That sucks, no check engine light? Did you check for vaccum leaks after the gaskets were replaced? Can you get your hands on a OBD II scanner, that may be the best bet to help track down the issue!
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

No intake leaks anymore

Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Last time I've had these symptoms was when my coil packs were failing, also when I had a bad electrical connection to ground, MAF sensor and intake with loose connections too.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnellrules3 View Post
It was the parts stores in town there computers said the gt and cobra has the same gaskets my shop just ended up going and looking at it and getting it himself. Monday it should be done! People at the parts stores dont have to have any knowledge to work there!

No we sure don't

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 09-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb15033 View Post
SORRY-
It would be an understatement to say Thai would of not been understanding or forgiving if a GT part was sent.
I am furious for you!
Whomever placed the order and the tech who diagnosed it would NEVER get within 100 feet of my Cobra. No appologogies, No paying for the correct part, and I would stand over the shoulder of the new tech making the repairs.
If you see any kind of other defeciencies appearant when repairs are being made again, they will replace it for free, after doing your homework, if you see a nut or bolt tightened to wrong specs, stop them & have them order new gaskets and bolts again due to unforgivable ignorance, distracted stupidity. When that head is pulled, I would demand proper intake cleaning, IMRC plate function inspection & cleaning, Every vacuum line inspected for cracks. And a 100% operation inspection of every devise atop of the engine.
Shame.
Right, but make sure you're getting mad at the right guy first!! The Parts store worker that the mechanic ordered the part from (over the phone) probably didn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. 70% of them are clueless. A good chunk of the other 30% of them get annoyed at their ignorant coworkers and then leave within a few months of working there lol.

That's what happens when you only pay $9/hour to your employees. The good ones eventually figure it out and go somewhere that pays them what they're worth.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther140 View Post
Right, but make sure you're getting mad at the right guy first!! The Parts store worker that the mechanic ordered the part from (over the phone) probably didn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. 70% of them are clueless. A good chunk of the other 30% of them get annoyed at their ignorant coworkers and then leave within a few months of working there lol.

That's what happens when you only pay $9/hour to your employees. The good ones eventually figure it out and go somewhere that pays them what they're worth.
That is very true. But also at our end, we also deal with mechanics that don't have a clue either. Not a lot, but enough to see it daily. I've sent out so many wrong parts because they insist it's something for the passenger side, or its a mustang gt not a 3.8, etc etc. Then it gets returned and they get mad at me because it's the wrong part.
Then I get plenty who want something like a brake booster, and I ask is it the base model or 3.8? And they tell me it doesn't matter.

God I love my job. Lol

Old 09-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I got a funny story from when I visited a parts store 2 days ago.

I was looking for some mufflers-- Cashier starts looking through their system for some mufflers-- He pulls up a listing for "hooker headers" listed under mufflers-- has a picture of actual LT headers in the ad. -- Part number is 2150-3HKR-- $81(ish)

Keep in mind, the part number for the black aerochamber mufflers is 21503hkr. 2150-3hkr is headers. 21503hkr is aerochamber mufflers.

The final order was for "2150-3hkr hooker headers". total came to $81. I am going there today after work to see if they shipped a set of headers, or if they shipped (one) muffler haha
Old 09-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

If it's 81 ish, it's gonna be the muffler. If I looked up the number with or without a dash, it would usually prompt a screen that has me pick from different bar codes that share the same (similar) part numbers. For example I typed in a part number for some adhesive, and it brought up an engine head as an option. But if he ordered the 81 dollar part, unless someone at the warehouse messes up, (those guys took pride in their organization) then it will be the right bar code.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:23 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Sometimes the descriptions get confusing tho. I got excited when I thought I could get upper and lower lakewood rear control arms for like 180 bucks with my discount. Upon further observation, I found out it was lowers only.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixignition View Post
That is very true. But also at our end, we also deal with mechanics that don't have a clue either. Not a lot, but enough to see it daily. I've sent out so many wrong parts because they insist it's something for the passenger side, or its a mustang gt not a 3.8, etc etc. Then it gets returned and they get mad at me because it's the wrong part.
Then I get plenty who want something like a brake booster, and I ask is it the base model or 3.8? And they tell me it doesn't matter.

God I love my job. Lol

Yeah I'm painfully aware of that as well lol. I worked at a parts store for a while. We had some pretty ignorant and demanding customers, but we had a lot of smart ones as well.

Part of why parts store workers get the blunt of a lot of criticism is because they get exposed to like 200 different fricken parts a day.

Some dude will come in like:
"hey do you have a thingymabob that goes on this one smog tube for my 1973.5 fiat Gianini? Yeah its an aftermarket part and I don't know what its called"

Me: "uhm-- I don't think that's something we can get for you but Ill try to dig something up to help you out"

Some dude: "damn auto parts store guy u dosnt no enyfing about cars u idiot. I h8 u let me talk to ur manidger"

Me: nice fiat...
Old 09-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Lols yes. Exactly. I had a guy get mad at me because I didn't know what oil his generator takes. I asked if he had his owners manual and of course he said no. Just figures I have a degree in **** he owns.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

^ Shoulda sold him gear lube lol
Old 09-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I was new at the time. But If I could go back, I would give him a long winded story about how I was the lead designer of that generator, and I must be a moron for forgetting what oil I decided should go in it.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Thumbs up

Quote:
SORRY-
I am furious for you!
Shame.

A SIMPLE MISTAKE BY PARTS MAN POSSIABLE,VENDOR MISTAKE.
I WOULD THROW YOU AND YOUR CAR OUT OF MY SHOP IF YOU ACTED LIKE YOU ADVISE OP TO DO! ITS OVIOUS YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT REPAIRS
. BEST THING FOR YOU TO DO IS DO ALL YOUR REPAIRS YOURSELF. ITS CLEAR NO TECT COULD PLEASE YOU. GROW UP AND SMELL THE ROSES IN OTHER WORDS CHILL OUT.

THIS IS HOW I RAN MY 10 BAY SHOP TILL I RETIRED,WE HAD MORE WORK THAN WE COULD DO AND ABOUT A THREE WEEK WAIT TO GET IN.
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Question

Quote:
SORRY-
I am furious for you!
Shame.

DUDE YOUR SHOWING YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF CAR ENGINES. WHO TOLD YOU THAT TO REPLACE INTAKE GASKETS YOU HAD TO PULL HEADS? REALLY?
Old 09-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnellrules3 View Post
all back together and still will not run until it is warmed up and idles rough what is next ? It already has a iac valve and maf.

---------- post added at 11:30 am ---------- previous post was at 11:30 am ----------

all back together and still will not run until it is warmed up and idles rough what is next ? It already has a iac valve and maf.
any codes? You did re-train pcm after replacing iac,? What do you have base idle set to?whats fuel pressure? Should have a code
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I was in a parts store last week looking at the detailing products. While talking to him about what I like to use and didn't. I asked him what he uses to protect his cars paint and he said " I've always used Armor-All on my car, works great"
Old 09-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was in a parts store last week looking at the detailing products. While talking to him about what I like to use and didn't. I asked him what he uses to protect his cars paint and he said " I've always used Armor-All on my car, works great"
he learned that at wyotech
Old 09-28-2015, 12:13 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
any codes? You did re-train pcm after replacing iac,? What do you have base idle set to?whats fuel pressure? Should have a code
Yes and the idel is controled by the computer. The fuel pressure is perfect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang