03-04 Cobras Reliability in 2015 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
03-04 Cobras Reliability in 2015

So I'm currently saving up for a 03-04 Cobra and I'm curious to know how they are holding up in 2015 from anyone who owns one or knows off hand.

Basically I would like to find one with under 20K miles but if I can only get one under 50k miles I don't mind. As long as you guys can confirm if they still drive like new at 50k miles with no issues apart from the usual maintenance and repairs.

Basically I want to own this car for a very long time like my GT500. And I only plan to put 4 to 5000 miles a year on her and I'm hoping to get 20 years out of her.

So guys based on what I said, how are the 03-04 Cobras holding up in 2015 and could I get my desired time with one if I stick to my annual drive plan?
Seebz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Under 20k miles and garage kept and stock will be in the mid-high $20k range or more depending on the color you want. Like if you want Competition Orange be prepared to pay $30k.

They are just as reliable as any Mustang from that year as long as they were taken care of. Problem with the Terminators is finding a clean stock one. I'd hit up SVT Performance and look in their classifieds to see what is available and what the prices are at currently. You will greatly help yourself out in your search when you finally are ready to buy by being willing to get the car shipped.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Under 20k miles and garage kept and stock will be in the mid-high $20k range or more depending on the color you want. Like if you want Competition Orange be prepared to pay $30k.

They are just as reliable as any Mustang from that year as long as they were taken care of. Problem with the Terminators is finding a clean stock one. I'd hit up SVT Performance and look in their classifieds to see what is available and what the prices are at currently. You will greatly help yourself out in your search when you finally are ready to buy by being willing to get the car shipped.
Oh yea I'm willing to have it shipped even though I never did it before but I'm sure there are companies I can find that will pick the car up and deliver it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Mines got 85k on it now bought it with 77k and I haven't had any major issues, drive it daily with absolutely no problems besides being too low and scraping everything lol
Old 12-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
Mines got 85k on it now bought it with 77k and I haven't had any major issues, drive it daily with absolutely no problems besides being too low and scraping everything lol
Sounds like fun lol. Yea from what I hear they're pretty reliable cars especially if they aren't your daily driver. I'm basically going to drive this in the summer to close places and no road trips so I think it'll probably outlive me and become my kids toy
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seebz13 View Post
Sounds like fun lol. Yea from what I hear they're pretty reliable cars especially if they aren't your daily driver. I'm basically going to drive this in the summer to close places and no road trips so I think it'll probably outlive me and become my kids toy
Oh yeah with the way you plan on driving it it'll go for a very long time especially if you get it with 20-50k on it
Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I bought mine earlier this year with 5500 miles.....gets the oil changed twice a year and it totally bone stock. I don't know that I would let mine go for less than $30k...then again I'm not sure I'd sell it even if someone came with more than that..........it is a great driving car and lot more fun than my 14 TrakPak was.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I bought mine earlier this year with 5500 miles.....gets the oil changed twice a year and it totally bone stock. I don't know that I would let mine go for less than $30k...then again I'm not sure I'd sell it even if someone came with more than that..........it is a great driving car and lot more fun than my 14 TrakPak was.
Holy Hell! How in the world did you find one a decade later with only 5500?!?!

I also had a 13 GT Track pack before and if you say it more fun than that then I'm sold lol
Old 12-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
They're out there you just have to know where to look.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
How much did you pay for it?
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Holy Hell! How in the world did you find one a decade later with only 5500?!?!

I also had a 13 GT Track pack before and if you say it more fun than that then I'm sold lol

I've seen a few of them on SVTP, the site I mentioned. And they're over $30k.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
How much did you pay for it?
Enough!, but less than what Scotty mentioned....
Old 12-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

There was (or maybe still is) a Competition Orange one with about that same mileage listed for $32k.

The rarer colors like that will jack the price up tho.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I've got 120 k of total beat down Kenne Bell miles. Replaced the alternator, brake boost and power steering pump. All new bushings and standard suspension mods, car is unbelievably reliable and is tight as hell.

I still place in most shows.
I Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1449604327321.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	761.8 KB
ID:	194551
Old 12-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Bought mine in Dec 2007 with 24k. Currently have 43k. Hundreds of strip passes, tons of memorable road trips.

Alternator is only issue I've had that I didn't cause. Factory replacement and metco alt pulley and no issues since.
Went through a few halfshaft before going SRA. It's now a solid 11 second convertible streetcar that is nearly invincible.

If staying IRS go ahead and invest in full tilt boogie IRS kit.

Several of these cars over 150k with at least 1 over 300k.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ive seen a different side, terminators that have very low miles tend to be the ones with the most problems. Im pretty sure its a 4v thing but my mach had issues at 90k my buddies termi has to have a rebuilt motor at 20k and the 2 shops i took my mach to had an average of 10 4v powered cars all with mechanical issues
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Bought mine in Dec 2007 with 24k. Currently have 43k. Hundreds of strip passes, tons of memorable road trips.

Alternator is only issue I've had that I didn't cause. Factory replacement and metco alt pulley and no issues since.
Went through a few halfshaft before going SRA. It's now a solid 11 second convertible streetcar that is nearly invincible.

If staying IRS go ahead and invest in full tilt boogie IRS kit.

Several of these cars over 150k with at least 1 over 300k.

Any chance you can provide a link to the irs kit? I'll be staying with the irs for a while on my girl, been looking to beef it up a little
Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC770 View Post
Any chance you can provide a link to the irs kit? I'll be staying with the irs for a while on my girl, been looking to beef it up a little
WWW.fulltiltboogieracing.com

The guy is an expert at IRS and suspension.

Our's:
Old 12-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Ive seen a different side, terminators that have very low miles tend to be the ones with the most problems. Im pretty sure its a 4v thing but my mach had issues at 90k my buddies termi has to have a rebuilt motor at 20k and the 2 shops i took my mach to had an average of 10 4v powered cars all with mechanical issues
It sounds like once the issues were corrected it was all good. I didn't even stop to think the lower mileage ones could have problems hence that's why they weren't driven much haha. I couldn't imagine it was easy in 2003 and 2004 to not drive these beauties everyday!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It sounds like once the issues were corrected it was all good. I didn't even stop to think the lower mileage ones could have problems hence that's why they weren't driven much haha. I couldn't imagine it was easy in 2003 and 2004 to not drive these beauties everyday!
Yeah if you get lucky these motors can last a long time but you can also get one that wont last 5,000 more miles till the motor gets screwed.
superdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
WWW.fulltiltboogieracing.com

The guy is an expert at IRS and suspension.

That is the ONLY kit to buy if you are doing the IRS. Not the MM one, not some ebay or upr stuff.

Quote:
Our aircraft are the same way. They sit for a long time, things leak or break or don't work right or whatever. You fly them 7 days straight in and out of a FOB rotating 2 crews and not one single thing goes wrong.

Moral of my war story is, its better to put a solid amount of "maintenance miles" on these cars than to let them sit and stay immaculate. Also then you never enjoy them if they are always garaged... 5k miles per year is a good number IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdrift View Post
Yeah if you get lucky these motors can last a long time but you can also get one that wont last 5,000 more miles till the motor gets screwed.
5,000 miles it was either a QC issue at the factory or the owner was a dumbass or a random act of glob.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

For peace of mind I would put any modded car on a dyno and check a/f and fuel duty cycle. Factory pumps are now 13 years old. If it's been running a BAP for an extended period they'll need replacing soon. I just picked up a pair of GT supercar pumps for mine.

Our's:
Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For peace of mind I would put any modded car on a dyno and check a/f and fuel duty cycle. Factory pumps are now 13 years old. If it's been running a BAP for an extended period they'll need replacing soon. I just picked up a pair of GT supercar pumps for mine.

If you were me would you replace it anyway even if it doesn't appear to be an issue when I buy it just to start fresh with brand new pumps
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
If you were me would you replace it anyway even if it doesn't appear to be an issue when I buy it just to start fresh with brand new pumps
Depends on what is done to the car and future plans. 450-500 HP I wouldn't worry about them. If it makes you feel better parts are under $300 and its really not that bad to change them out

Our's:
Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I traded for a roller, Had a sra, but I've replaced all control arms and bushings for the whole car. Bought that Prothane whole car kit.

Not much money and the car is tight as hell. Steeda springs, and control arms, DSpec, Mm subframes, Mm 4 point, Mm rear strut brace. Great on the street and highway.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:20 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Bought my cobra for 16k , 15k loan and 1,000 to the guy.
You must have 720+ credit score to get the best deal.
4 years is the min on the loan btw..

So 16k for my 74k cobra satin silver 2003 , just 2 mods .. clean carfax , a lot of paper work on the history , window sticker , etc.
It's been holding up good.
Had to replace the throw out bearing a month after which wasn't a big deal , also my IC pump has been acting up.. but it's a 150.00 fix ..
Other than that , just the radio has some issues sometimes , and I get the rear notorious IRS clunk ..
It's been a great and very fun ride tho.

If you need more advice on what to look for just pm me

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
03-04 Cobras Reliability in 2015

Besides the normal maintenance and wear and tear you may be looking into replacing the Alternator more than you would like . Iv had to replace my coolant pump recently. But the car overall hasn't given me much problems over the years. The biggest problem was once I bought the car I couldn't stop modding it . if you plan on daily driving it it gulps gas. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1449935309.368554.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	194756
Old 12-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra mark View Post
Besides the normal maintenance and wear and tear you may be looking into replacing the Alternator more than you would like . Iv had to replace my coolant pump recently. But the car overall hasn't given me much problems over the years. The biggest problem was once I bought the car I couldn't stop modding it . if you plan on daily driving it it gulps gas. Attachment 194756

Not planning on daily driving it as I have my f150. The issue will be moving it around my driveway to get access to the garage when I want to drive the Shelby lol. I've just always wanted the svt cobra from 03 or 04. I was a sophomore in high school when they came out and I wanted it so bad. Problem now is I'm very OCD buying used cars but I saw a couple recently and realized I can find the right one with the right owner and it'll feel as new as the day it was made

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 12-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
That is the ONLY kit to buy if you are doing the IRS. Not the MM one, not some ebay or upr stuff.

Our aircraft are the same way. They sit for a long time, things leak or break or don't work right or whatever. You fly them 7 days straight in and out of a FOB rotating 2 crews and not one single thing goes wrong.

Moral of my war story is, its better to put a solid amount of "maintenance miles" on these cars than to let them sit and stay immaculate. Also then you never enjoy them if they are always garaged... 5k miles per year is a good number IMO.

5,000 miles it was either a QC issue at the factory or the owner was a dumbass or a random act of glob.

That's how I treat the Shelby in the winter let it run right out of the garage so the pumps are pushing fuel through as to keep the flow going. I'll treat the cobra the same way.

Bye the way thank you for your service to this country sir. I truly appreciate it!

Old 12-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Maybe I'm fortunate and I've always had a DD and something else to drive on nicer days/drag race/track only car. Since we just downsized I no longer have a shop plus garage a for my non-daily drivers...the 03 will spend the winter in a heated shop. It will be started, brought up to temperature and run through gears once a month just like I used to do with my drag car.......when it wasn't torn apart.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous281 View Post
Bought my cobra for 16k , 15k loan and 1,000 to the guy.
You must have 720+ credit score to get the best deal.
4 years is the min on the loan btw..

So 16k for my 74k cobra satin silver 2003 , just 2 mods .. clean carfax , a lot of paper work on the history , window sticker , etc.
It's been holding up good.
Had to replace the throw out bearing a month after which wasn't a big deal , also my IC pump has been acting up.. but it's a 150.00 fix ..
Other than that , just the radio has some issues sometimes , and I get the rear notorious IRS clunk ..
It's been a great and very fun ride tho.

If you need more advice on what to look for just pm me

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That is exactly what I paid for mine haha about the same miles all the paperwork and window sticker as well 77k on mine when I got it
Old 12-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #32

Region: Ohio
I just bought mine on November 9th with 55k miles on it not stock has a kenne bell on it and a lot of other stuff and I took mine out on Thursday and drove it almost 300 miles it was almost 60 that day.Mine drives great only problem I have is guy before me put too big of tires on the back and every little bump you hit the tires rub,but other than that I love the car and I think I got a hell of a deal on it.On another note there is one on ebay right now or was with 5 miles on it they only want 50k for it or best offer.
03soniccobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03soniccobra View Post
I just bought mine on November 9th with 55k miles on it not stock has a kenne bell on it and a lot of other stuff and I took mine out on Thursday and drove it almost 300 miles it was almost 60 that day.Mine drives great only problem I have is guy before me put too big of tires on the back and every little bump you hit the tires rub,but other than that I love the car and I think I got a hell of a deal on it.On another note there is one on ebay right now or was with 5 miles on it they only want 50k for it or best offer.

Oh yea I saw that red cobra but I can't spend that much money on it. I know it's brand new so brand new it has the protective cover on the bumpers still haha. But I'd rather buy a gt350 if I'm gonna spend 50k on a mustang.

I'd offer the guy 35 at the most and that includes him shipping it to me. But I'm sure someone will pay that much for it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang