Some quick questions.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Some quick questions..

Hey everyone, been a while since I've been on here. I have a 99 Cobra I've recently started getting into, it has a vortech v-2 supercharger with the neon green 42# injectors, but I'm not sure what air filter the vortech kit came with? Supposedly on the vortech site they list one, however I'm not sure if the original air filter is the same as the one they used in their kit. If it isn't, I don't know if the one they list on their site is meant for pre or post supercharger install. I wouldn't mind finding a suitable K+N replacement though. It has the TEKSID block which is cool, a few autometer guages in a tri pillar guage pod, drilled front rotors, and exhaust from the headers back. I'm also wondering if those 42# injectors would be enough to handle e85 with it being supercharged or if I'd even need to go a step higher? The stock computer fried and was replaced with another OEM computer, but I have to take it to get re-tuned and before I do I'm wondering if it's basically set up already and capable to run e85 or if it will need the bigger injectors. Did anyone ever make aftermarket fog lights for the 99-01 cobra? I only ever seem to be able to find OEM replacements but I wouldn't mind finding some with clear lenses or whatever. Anyways.. maybe I'll have more questions later, but for now that's all I've got. Thanks for your help!
NoStangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Moved to the SVT section.

As far as the greens... I would not think 42s would be enough for E85 but I could be wrong. I'd just go straight to 60s and supercar pumps myself or just stay on 93.

For the lenses... modify the stock brackets for a different make of fog. Example, my 98 GT with a Cobra front end had Envoy clear fogs, Durango fogs work too. Not sure about the 99/01 Cobra but you can just measure and find out.

As for the filter... Should all be the same, they all go in the same spot pretty much even with a power pipe or something.

I'm actually in a similar boat, building a Teksid with B heads and 96-98 Cobra intake to put in my 2000 GT. Already have 42s which will be enough for 400-500hp but afterwards I'll need to do the fuel system. Have a Novi 2000 and a CX Racing intercooler setup.

Just remember, the stock rods in your car are the same ones used in everything else pretty much. Only the R and the Termi got better stuff. You'll want to keep it in the lower 400whp range although if you do run E85 you'll make more power with less boost and probably get away with running a little more than that. Still would not push it tho.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate it. I was hoping I could find something without having to modify the brackets, but if that's what I have to do then so be it. I didn't plan on making over 450 hp with it due to the rods and pistons being sinter. I figured what vortech said with their kit being at 462 would be plenty. I'm also in Colorado Springs, so elevation takes away quite a bit. I feel safe with building it a little to at least get it around there for here. I won't be taking it anywhere lower so, not worried. That's the other point you made, with e85 making less boost but a little more power. With the plugs and coils I have plus running e85 I feel safe enough to push it slightly. I appreciate your info though and look forward to more from you and others!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm up just north of Denver running E85 in my 2V. I would recommend going straight to 60s while you have the chance, I've got 38lb injectors and they're maxed out. Do you know if you're on the stock MAF? Any idea how much boost you're pushing?
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'll have to look, but I'm betting the MAF is stock and with the supercharger kit it has I'm assuming no more than 6 to 8 pounds since the engine can't handle much over 450 hp. Up here though that number drops so I won't know for sure until I can get it in and get it properly tuned..
Old 04-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Check your pulley size. I'm running 11lbs on a 3.12" pulley.
Mile high JDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile high JDF View Post
Check your pulley size. I'm running 11lbs on a 3.12" pulley.
I'll have to do that in the next few days as I'm currently travelling. On a side note, being north of Denver, did you go to the Nationwide event last weekend? Do you do many things like cruises, car shows, etc? Feel free to PM me details.. I'm looking to make a few mustang friends in the area.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang