Granatelli COP's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Granatelli COP's?

Anyone used or heard of Granatelli coils for your ignition? I've used MSD on a bunch of vehicles in the past and swear by them but they've only ever been used on NA engines. My 99 Cobra has a Vortech V-2 supercharger and I'm looking to swap plugs to the NGK TR6 plugs and I'd like to upgrade the coils as well. I know there are many purists out there who are going to start talking about staying with Motocraft and I shouldn't have problems and all that, but I'd really like anyone's opinions, advice, or knowledge on these coils. I believe I heard Accel is just a creation of MSD for the "appearance" of competition but I don't know anything for certain and only just recently came across Granatelli. Specifically I was looking at the Granatelli GMS 4V Pro-Series coils. Any help and experience would be appreciated before I drop the money. Thanks!!
NoStangNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Granatelli = absolute garbage

Stick to OEM.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Granatelli = absolute garbage

Stick to OEM.
See? I just said there would be those who will say stick with stock. I don't want to hear that. Stock coils on a 99 cobra were meant for the engine being NA. Mine is not NA anymore and therefore I'm looking for more from my coils. I get that reducing spark plug gap is an alternative, but I'd rather have the coils too. So if anyone is going to say "OEM" or "motocraft" or whatever, don't bother commenting, I'm not looking for the "stay stock" advice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

There are PLENTY of guys that make over 1,000 horsepower running OEM coils..... Use OEM coils. They literally are the best ones for the car. All others are a step in the opposite direction.

HID end all thread
Old 04-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Granatelli COP's?

Maybe "everyone" says that because it's there is truth behind it.

But since you want to hear something else, you should def but these. I bet they will deliver the promised 20+hp 😀👍🏻
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Only reason to stick with motorcraft is because they will last a lot longer , and in the long run save more money.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous281 View Post
Only reason to stick with motorcraft is because they will last a lot longer , and in the long run save more money.

Only reason to go with anything except Motorcraft is if all of yours go bad and you cannot find any other Motorcraft ones. It has been proven time and time again that they are the best ones.

HID end all thread
Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

As far as why granatelli are garbage. They are a rip off company. Look up the documentation of their copies of Maximum Motorsports suspension parts.

HID end all thread
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Alright I appreciate the info. I wasn't looking for "hp gain" with coils though. I was concerned with dwell time and discharge capacity and such. I agree stock is great but since stock on a 99 cobra is an NA engine and mine is supercharged, I was worried about misfires and what not from the coils not being able to handle the higher combustion chamber pressures and faster moving air. I get that there is a lot of people saying stay stock, but I also realize that 90% of people copy and repeat what they read or hear so I was kind of hoping to come across someone with first hand experience, not saying the above is you though. My next question, do coils from the 03/04 coils work in a 99 cobra? As in, are they the same, or compatable?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStangNewb View Post
Alright I appreciate the info. I wasn't looking for "hp gain" with could though. I was concerned with dwell time and discharge capacity and such. I agree stock is great but since stock on a 99 cobra is an NA engine and mine is supercharged, I was worried about misfires and what not from the coils not being able to handle the higher combustion chamber pressures and faster moving air. I get that there is a lot of people saying stay stock, but I also realize that 90% of people copy and repeat what they read or hear so I was kind of hoping to come across someone with first hand experience, not saying the above is you though. My next question, do coils from the 03/04 coils work in a 99 cobra? As in, are they the same, or compatable?
They are not only compatible... They are the same ones.

HID end all thread
Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
They are not only compatible... They are the same ones.
Thank you good sir.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Doesnt matter what you want to hear dude. Facts are facts. Oem is best for coils and granatelli is trash.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Doesnt matter what you want to hear dude. Facts are facts. Oem is best for coils and granatelli is trash.

Excellent statement!! Now please provide proof to back these "facts"? I'm convinced to stay away from Granatelli for now, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm just going to believe you or the internet to "stay OEM" just because "facts are facts" with no proof.. Do you have some numbers? A video perhaps? How about even some first hand experience? Come on man.. They're facts!! Right?
Old 04-09-2016, 03:15 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Wow ok. I can do some linking when I get home on a pc. Or you can waste money on aftermarket coils...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Wow ok. I can do some linking when I get home on a pc. Or you can waste money on aftermarket coils...

That would be most helpful! I've never had an issue with MSD and I've used them a lot, so that's my first hand experience. However, I've not used any others which is why I'm looking for input BEFORE I spend money to R+D. As I said, I'm convinced to stay away from Granatelli for now, and I've never cared for Accel, but I was hoping for user's experience and input? Or perhaps links to proof? Vids? Numbers? Anything you can share would be appreciared!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Stock coils= moderate spark and long life Aftermarket performance coils= more spark, short life Drag Racing ignition coils= good enough spark to burn nitro or all that other racing fuel, but get replaced usually after a few seasons of drag racing.

Guys if he really wants to buy them , just let him ! It's his money not ours ..
Yes he will most likely regret it later on but that's just the learning exprience he will gain , and later on he will provide the same advice you guys are telling him. That's just the beauty of it

infamous281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Seems every time we read about a misfire, it's either IAC or COPS, and then it seems, every time it's the COPS, it's cuz they're running aftermarket. perhaps this is why the OEM's are so damn expensive? LOLZ

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fomoco4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous281 View Post
Stock coils= moderate spark and long life Aftermarket performance coils= more spark, short life Drag Racing ignition coils= good enough spark to burn nitro or all that other racing fuel, but get replaced usually after a few seasons of drag racing.

Guys if he really wants to buy them , just let him ! It's his money not ours ..
Yes he will most likely regret it later on but that's just the learning exprience he will gain , and later on he will provide the same advice you guys are telling him. That's just the beauty of it

Not really as far as OEM=moderate spark. If you guys were around during the CliffyK years he actually ran a bunch of tests himself on a bunch of different COPs. None of the aftermarkets outperformed the stockers in any way and the stockers had a much lower failure rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco4life View Post
Seems every time we read about a misfire, it's either IAC or COPS, and then it seems, every time it's the COPS, it's cuz they're running aftermarket. perhaps this is why the OEM's are so damn expensive? LOLZ

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Very rarely does the OEM electronic portion of the COP fail. Very often its the boot/spring. I have a set of OEM COPs, for example, that are original 2003 and have almost 150k on them now. I replaced the boots and springs at 120k (probably too late but w/e) and the 5.4L Expedition they are in runs like a top.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Shelby | ROUSH | Boss | Saleen | SVT || Tech and Talk > SVT Mustang