To Those Who Have Tints - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The only time the dots are an issue for bubbling is in cold conditions when you use the rear defrost if you do plan on using the defrost vinyl the dotted part and tint the rest if you don't use the rear defroster tint the whole window.
Redlsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Also it's all in the quality of the tint used
Old 04-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
15% is awesome. That's what I have and I barely ever have to wear my shades. But its not to dark that I can't see **** Altho its illegal in IN
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Sko
Re: To Those Who Have Tints

I'm thinking no less than 20%, I'm most likely going to settle for 25%.. I just found a place in Elizabeth, New Jersey that does tints for $100 with a life time warranty. My friend had them done on his car and they look great. Didn't see any flaws in it at all.

I believe he told me the place was called Pro-Tints.. or Pro something. Anybody in New Jersey ever hear of them?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sko
I'm thinking no less than 20%, I'm most likely going to settle for 25%.. I just found a place in Elizabeth, New Jersey that does tints for $100 with a life time warranty. My friend had them done on his car and they look great. Didn't see any flaws in it at all.

I believe he told me the place was called Pro-Tints.. or Pro something. Anybody in New Jersey ever hear of them?
100 bones and a lifetime warranty sounds like an amazing deal. you're probably not gonna find much better than that.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #41
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sko View Post

I had 25% on my 250 in front and about 10% in the back and loved it.....but cops absolutely hate it!!!! and in NC you can't pass inspection
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

The back window dark as you want but side windows should not be too dark because it makes it hard to see on lane changes.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #43
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
The back window dark as you want but side windows should not be too dark because it makes it hard to see on lane changes.
YeahI didn't go any darker because it was too dark to see my mirrors really well.....especially at night
Old 04-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

35% is what i have... if its really sunny out your car will be a fish bowl.. if its cloudy or dark out you cant really see in. and legal.
but on the other hand i have friends with 2% tint all around and never have trouble with the law and it looks badass

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #45
Road Trip!

Ohhhh okay well you live in NC so our laws are the same! So..........some places that will inspect your car will bust your balls on the tint SO if you go darker than 35% like a lot darker.....roll your windows down when you have it inspected..........but I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for it just MAKE CERTAIN your window is down if you get pulled over because the officer will not only be angry but you'll make him nervous since he cannot see you in your mirror...........but we're lucky to be legal at 35% because PA is 75%.......
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby
Ohhhh okay well you live in NC so our laws are the same! So..........some places that will inspect your car will bust your balls on the tint SO if you go darker than 35% like a lot darker.....roll your windows down when you have it inspected..........but I've never heard of anybody getting a ticket for it just MAKE CERTAIN your window is down if you get pulled over because the officer will not only be angry but you'll make him nervous since he cannot see you in your mirror...........but we're lucky to be legal at 35% because PA is 75%.......
i feel for you man. in florida you're not allowed to have tinted lights whatsoever, 118 dollars per light if you get caught, and that was gonna be next on the list. rules suck don't they?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Looking at making an appointment for my tint this Thursday.. just gotta make sure they carry the brand I'm looking for. My friend suggested Llumar or something tint.. he said they're the only ones that don't fade.. I sent a email requesting the brand they use.. when I figure it out I'll post here for opinions.. but for now can people tell me what ones are horrible and what ones don't fade over time.. I want mine to stay black not turn purple.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I know good tint stay black longer but I don't think its gonna matter if you've had it on for 10 years it's probably going to start to turn purple
Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
There are different types of tint. The tint wallmart an parts stores sell is cheap injection tint meaning the tint film is clear an then injected with the tint to make it the specified darkness. I forgot what the other tint is called but the tint film is the specified darkness. Its not injected. It's made better and will not purple. You can get it from reputable tint shops. Yes it cost more but it is better. It last longer, protects better,an tends to be a bit darker.
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

What do I ask then to find out if its injected or not? I don't want injected I want the real deal.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do I ask then to find out if its injected or not? I don't want injected I want the real deal.
Yes I would ask. if they act confused or say I don't know its probably injected an I would go somewhere else.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks 03.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks 03.
No problem
Old 04-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Just got off the phone with this place they said they have tints that last 3 months, 3 years and 10 years without fade. Sketchy or no?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Wow 3 months Hahaha. If thats were your gonna get the tint go with the 10 year. I've never heard of 3 month tint. Pretty sketchy man
Old 04-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88 View Post
Wow 3 months Hahaha. If thats were your gonna get the tint go with the 10 year. I've never heard of 3 month tint. Pretty sketchy man
That's what I'm saying.. I mean my first thought was okay so maybe that's how they make their money doing $100 tints.. maybe the 3month and 3 year tints cost cheaper so they charge $100 and make profit and break even on the 10 year tints.. but then I thought.. what idiot would pick 3 month or a 3 year option when for the same price they can get 10 year.

Granted it is under warranty, I want the job done right and I don't want to have to go back to the place every couple years to get them peeled off and placed back on.

Looking at their gallery they had Maseratis, Lambos, and Ferraris.. maybe because those cars are garage kept and not daily drivers so tints last longer. For me, my car unfortunately isn't garage kept thanks to the 2003 Cobra and the 1971 Stingray, and it is a daily driver.

I might spend $320 for Llumar tint at a local tint shop. Which means one more week of saving.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds like a good plan.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

So, figuring that the first place I looked was sketchy and I looked around. A local shop wants $320 for all tints.. then there is a place in Edison that said $150 with all gaurentees about it fading and free replacement.

I went to the local shop today and low balled the guy down to $250 & set the appointment for this upcoming Wednesday. 1 Week till tints, the count down begins.

Basically I told him $320 is a steep price, however I've seen the work you guys do and you've done two of my good friends cars and they came out great. I'd prefer to keep it local incase something did go wrong I wouldn't have to drive 45 minutes out of the way to get them fixed, however $150 is sounding good. But like I said, I've actually seen a finished product from your place and I know it turns out good. He punched some numbers in his calculator and came up with $250.. saving me $70. This is great for a place that has bad customer service reviews and high price reviews. Price is a 100$ more but I'm thinking in the long run.. if something goes wrong I can literally drive 2 blocks and get it fixed instead of spending gas to go 45 minutes.

Now the question I have a week to decide on is 20% or 30%.. if anyone here has tints please share pictures and input. I do a lot of parkway driving this time of year because of a house I have in Sea Side which I usually drive once a week too. I want to make sure I can see my side mirrors for easy lane changing. That's why I'm looking at 35%.. but the 20% looks a lot nicer.. anyone with 20's that can see the side mirror at night?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So, figuring that the first place I looked was sketchy and I looked around. A local shop wants $320 for all tints.. then there is a place in Edison that said $150 with all gaurentees about it fading and free replacement.

I went to the local shop today and low balled the guy down to $250 & set the appointment for this upcoming Wednesday. 1 Week till tints, the count down begins.

Basically I told him $320 is a steep price, however I've seen the work you guys do and you've done two of my good friends cars and they came out great. I'd prefer to keep it local incase something did go wrong I wouldn't have to drive 45 minutes out of the way to get them fixed, however $150 is sounding good. But like I said, I've actually seen a finished product from your place and I know it turns out good. He punched some numbers in his calculator and came up with $250.. saving me $70. This is great for a place that has bad customer service reviews and high price reviews. Price is a 100$ more but I'm thinking in the long run.. if something goes wrong I can literally drive 2 blocks and get it fixed instead of spending gas to go 45 minutes.

Now the question I have a week to decide on is 20% or 30%.. if anyone here has tints please share pictures and input. I do a lot of parkway driving this time of year because of a house I have in Sea Side which I usually drive once a week too. I want to make sure I can see my side mirrors for easy lane changing. That's why I'm looking at 35%.. but the 20% looks a lot nicer.. anyone with 20's that can see the side mirror at night?
i have 15%, and 20-40 vision, and driving at night is no problem. your eyes adjust after a few seconds. this weekend i'm gonna snap some pictures, i'll try and post them so you can see for yourself.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
I'm looking at making one of my final moves on my cars exterior. Tinting the windows.. I am going for a 35% tint but I am unsure if I should tint the rear window fully or put the vinyl on the top half.

I've heard that the bumps towards the top of the rear window cause a possible issue with tints bubbling if they are not done right. I also heard that they can sand them down.

I was curious, to those who have tints if you can please post your insights, what you did, and why you did it.. please do so.. and also include pics if you can so I can see how they turned out.

Thanks in advance! This weeks tips are going towards tints!
fully mine are 5% and there pretty dark,it looks real nice!backing up at night can be a bit challenging,lol
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

It also depends on where you drive. In cities at night you'll be fine. Where I live the roads are pitch black at night, I roll my windows down to double check sometimes. I also roll the windows down when backing up. Its hard to see through 5 percent back glass at night unless your in thecity.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It also depends on where you drive. In cities at night you'll be fine. Where I live the roads are pitch black at night, I roll my windows down to double check sometimes. I also roll the windows down when backing up. Its hard to see through 5 percent back glass at night unless your in thecity.
What are you side windows? 20's?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="Ryan Sko"]

What are you side windows? 20's?[/QUOTE
I think its 35%. The car was tinted before I bought it. On my Toyota truck I put 20 on the sides an 5 on the back.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What are you side windows? 20's?[/QUOTE
I think its 35%. The car was tinted before I bought it. On my Toyota truck I put 20 on the sides an 5 on the back.
Ok, so compare the two for me. Are the side mirrors easy and visible to see through the tints at night and all? I'm afraid the 20's are too dark.. break it down. Which do you like more.. what would you got for if you had a choice.

The 20's from the outside look A LOT better then the 35's do from the outside. I'm just worried about looking out of the window. I do a lot of high way driving come summer.. and I enjoy my wiggle room in the lanes so, if I get 20's I want to know if I'll be able to use my side mirrors effectively or if the visibility will be very rough.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Quote:
Ok, so compare the two for me. Are the side mirrors easy and visible to see through the tints at night and all? I'm afraid the 20's are too dark.. break it down. Which do you like more.. what would you got for if you had a choice.

The 20's from the outside look A LOT better then the 35's do from the outside. I'm just worried about looking out of the window. I do a lot of high way driving come summer.. and I enjoy my wiggle room in the lanes so, if I get 20's I want to know if I'll be able to use my side mirrors effectively or if the visibility will be very rough.

Well at night higway driving if there isn't a lot of traffic or lights then I always had problems seeing the lane lines....but I think 20's would look damn good...it's just a win-lose because you want them darker on the outside but lighter on the inside.....you could do what Dog the bounty hunter does and cut a little triangle out of the tint to see your mirrors!!!! hahahah
Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I'd get my side mirrors mounted on my hood before doing that o.O Hahahah
Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #67
Road Trip!

hahah yeah it's seriously retarded............but I would say go darker!!! you can always roll down your windows....and stick in the right lane if you have to...do you know anybody with tints to see if you like it?!?!?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

My friend has a Camaro with 20%'s and my other friend has 35%'s I just gotta get them to come down to my part of town and drive them both at night, one after another I guess and just see what I like more.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #69
Road Trip!

Yeah that's going to be the only way you'll be able to make a decision with confidence...I ripped my front tint off though because 1)nobody wanted to buy it with the tint on and 2) that **** turned prurple hahah
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby
Yeah that's going to be the only way you'll be able to make a decision with confidence...I ripped my front tint off though because 1)nobody wanted to buy it with the tint on and 2) that **** turned prurple hahah
Front tint meaning front side? Or windshield? ( sounds like a weird question, I know)
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing