To Those Who Have Tints - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Sko
To Those Who Have Tints

I'm looking at making one of my final moves on my cars exterior. Tinting the windows.. I am going for a 35% tint but I am unsure if I should tint the rear window fully or put the vinyl on the top half.

I've heard that the bumps towards the top of the rear window cause a possible issue with tints bubbling if they are not done right. I also heard that they can sand them down.

I was curious, to those who have tints if you can please post your insights, what you did, and why you did it.. please do so.. and also include pics if you can so I can see how they turned out.

Thanks in advance! This weeks tips are going towards tints!
Ryan Sko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
tint the rear window fully
sno4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: To Those Who Have Tints

^ agreed

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Do you guys have it done? If so you guys never got bubbles near the top?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
What year is your car? 1999-2003 require vynly at the top of the rear bc the tint will not stick due to the windshield having the black dots. You have to get the tint let it dry then go back and have the black vynly strip on

*From the Android App
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend
What year is your car? 1999-2003 require vynly at the top of the rear bc the tint will not stick due to the windshield having the black dots. You have to get the tint let it dry then go back and have the black vynly strip on

*From the Android App
I have tint all the way on mine and it's fine. It's a 2004 but the same dots up there.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sko
I'm looking at making one of my final moves on my cars exterior. Tinting the windows.. I am going for a 35% tint but I am unsure if I should tint the rear window fully or put the vinyl on the top half.

I've heard that the bumps towards the top of the rear window cause a possible issue with tints bubbling if they are not done right. I also heard that they can sand them down.

I was curious, to those who have tints if you can please post your insights, what you did, and why you did it.. please do so.. and also include pics if you can so I can see how they turned out.

Thanks in advance! This weeks tips are going towards tints!
Oh, and I'd get 20%, it's worth it. And, cops don't notice it at all compared to 35%
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i have 15 on my back and not a huge problem. sometimes backing in at night without any kind of lighting is a problem but besides that its fine. i have 05-09 tho

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

FULL TINT
GO to a reputable shop and they'll have no problem with the dot matrix ..
Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The place I'm looking at is 200 for full tits lifetime warranty. Just scared if the back bubbles they can't take it off without owning the defrosters. Got a week or two to figure it out.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I just got my done a couple of weeks ago. I have an 07. I did 15% all around. The bumps did just fine. It cost me$200 including a brow and lifetime warranty. The bumps looked a little sketchy at first but they said it would work out once the tint had been on a week or so. And it did! Mine looks awesome and no problems!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The place I'm looking at is 200 for full tits lifetime warranty. Just scared if the back bubbles they can't take it off without owning the defrosters. Got a week or two to figure it out.
Like someone else said just go to a reputable place which if they offer a lifetime warranty then it probably is. They told me if I ever have a problem bring it back and they will fix it but I didn't!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The correct way is to vynyl it. I know tint works but vynyl works alot better in "hilly" situations.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy
I just got my done a couple of weeks ago. I have an 07. I did 15% all around. The bumps did just fine. It cost me$200 including a brow and lifetime warranty. The bumps looked a little sketchy at first but they said it would work out once the tint had been on a week or so. And it did! Mine looks awesome and no problems!
Can you post a picture of your brow? I can see it in your avatar but I want to see ot from a front view
Old 03-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sure. This is one. And ill take a better one when I get back to my car. Im at work today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110325_130328.png
Views:	221
Size:	574.7 KB
ID:	25122  
Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
Like someone else said just go to a reputable place which if they offer a lifetime warranty then it probably is. They told me if I ever have a problem bring it back and they will fix it but I didn't!
I understand they will fix it bit what I'm saying is if they peel tints pff the rear windshield its going to rip off defrosters. That's why I'm debating on just doing vinyl. I'm unsure if I'm getting the Meow though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
The correct way is to vynyl it. I know tint works but vynyl works alot better in "hilly" situations.
I think I am gonna vinyl it.. thanks for all the input guys!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Definitely full tint, I went with 35% and Im happy, no bubbles either but was done by a professional with high quality tint.

Northern Virginia Mustang Club
Silver Mustang Registry #1045
2010 Brilliant Silver 4.0 V6 Traded and will be missed
2011 Performance White Premium GT 5.0 6MT, 19" Machined Wheels, 3.73 gears, GT500 Axle-Backs, Eibach Pro Springs, Dynojet #'s 387rwhp/380 tq.
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

My tint hasn't peeled and I have used my rear defroster. But hey man u do what u like and feel comfortable with. Mine is perfect and I love it! And im a perfectionist. Believe me. I see every little flaw
Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangchassy View Post
My tint hasn't peeled and I have used my rear defroster. But hey man u do what u like and feel comfortable with. Mine is perfect and I love it! And im a perfectionist. Believe me. I see every little flaw
I'm not saying the use of the defroster will ruin tints, I'm saying if they bubble ill want them fixed. to od them they need to take the tints off. Removing tints from the rear windshield will rip the defrosters off too. That's what I'm worried about
Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not saying the use of the defroster will ruin tints, I'm saying if they bubble ill want them fixed. to od them they need to take the tints off. Removing tints from the rear windshield will rip the defrosters off too. That's what I'm worried about
Well it can be removed with damaging them... its just tough and sometimes u can't do anything about then breaking

*From the Android App
Old 03-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Well it can be removed with damaging them... its just tough and sometimes u can't do anything about then breaking

*From the Android App
Which is exactly why I am going to do the top in vinyl.. because I'm a perfectionist. I'd rather have the vinyl there than to see one bubble that no one else would even notice and not be able to fix it without possibly ruining my who rear windshield. It just seems like the safe way to go for now.

So next time ya'll see a picture thread of me it'll be of my car tinted!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

the black dots on your windows are teflon, which (at least in my case) didn't let the tint stick very well. i have to go back and get my rear window tint fixed cause the tint guy didn't think it'd be a problem so he had to adjust it. he'll have to take the whole thing off, and it won't do anything to the rear defrosters because the strips are placed in the window before it completely hardens. the only part that might be affected is the connector strip on the side of the windshield, which is only like a cm big square, no problem, just pull it off slowly. and the legal limit for florida (where i live) is 15% on windows behind the driver, 35% on the windows next to the driver. i have 15% all around, and i recommend doing that too for two reasons: one, when you display the car or show it off, the same tint all around looks better than two different colors, and if you have black accents on your car (taillight tint, grill delete, unpainted chin spoiler, black vinyls, black rims, etc.) it'll make them stand out a lot more. two, cops only want to see into your car to make sure you have your seatbelt on, and 15% is easily visible because the sun will be shining into your car, or you can simply slap down those convenient automatic windows and the problems solved. cops will only pull you over for tint if they're a) a jerk and want to dispense some "justice" or b) you're doing something else wrong like speeding or whatever. and, even though it's not a major difference, it will help your car's temperature just a little bit.
i've never heard of putting vinyl over the teflon, but it sounds like a good idea. i don't have tint on the upper portion of my rear window and nobody really notices, only my parents when they inspected it after i got it. and you can't really see it unless you're a few inches away from it. hope this helped man!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a ton man, this sure did. I still feel I'm going to stick with the vinyl. As of %'s I was planning on getting 35% all the way around. In New Jersey you can no longer fail inspection due to tints.. and 35% isn't that dark, my friend has them on his TSX.

Most of the time I drive with my windows half way down anyway, even this time of year in 45 degree weather. I usually always do, windows down heat on, or windows down AC on.. don't ask why.. lol

But that does help, thanks for posting your expierence.. if you don't mind or if it's not too much trouble can you post some pics of your tints and the rear window?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Thanks a ton man, this sure did. I still feel I'm going to stick with the vinyl. As of %'s I was planning on getting 35% all the way around. In New Jersey you can no longer fail inspection due to tints.. and 35% isn't that dark, my friend has them on his TSX.

Most of the time I drive with my windows half way down anyway, even this time of year in 45 degree weather. I usually always do, windows down heat on, or windows down AC on.. don't ask why.. lol

But that does help, thanks for posting your expierence.. if you don't mind or if it's not too much trouble can you post some pics of your tints and the rear window?
get them darker! 20%
Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life View Post
get them darker! 20%
I forget what my friend has on his Camaro but it's like perfect. From the outside its like.. Holy **** those are dark, but inside you can actually see out perfectly. I think he said 25%

The thing is, I don't need them dark, I'm doing it more so for the nice look to the car as opposed to so no one can see me in my car. I'm also not trying to get the attention from cops in the local area.

Not to mention from Mid April till the end of summer I usually go to my house in Sea Side Park and the cops down there during the summer are real ********.. so I gotta consider how much they'd hassle me for them as well.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sure thing, i'll try and get some pictures up today. i use my iPod most of the time to check ME and most of the computers in my house are on the fritz, but i'll give it a shot.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin99coupe View Post
sure thing, i'll try and get some pictures up today. i use my iPod most of the time to check ME and most of the computers in my house are on the fritz, but i'll give it a shot.
Not a problem man, if you can't get on a PC just email them to me.. Ryan908Sko@yahoo.com and I'll check 'em out.

Also, I heard it's better to tint the car on a hot/humid day to prevent bubbles, confirmation from you guys.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not a problem man, if you can't get on a PC just email them to me.. Ryan908Sko@yahoo.com and I'll check 'em out.

Also, I heard it's better to tint the car on a hot/humid day to prevent bubbles, confirmation from you guys.
it doesn't matter, no matter when you get it tinted there are going to be bubbles, but over the course of the next few days the bubbles will magically work themselves out, as long as you don't lower your windows - it's because the glue hasn't totally bonded to your window and the tint isn't fully molded, but somehow the glue hardens and the bubbles get sucked out.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

In a way that doesn't make sense at all, that kind does make sense. Thanks once again.

I'm debating 20%, 25%, 30%, 35%.. I need to make a few calls and see if any spots have 25%.

Might go right to the fog lights next I'm having trouble finding a kit that has the wiring and all. But look forward to a new mod soon!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

35%, 15% and 5% are what's most common, some places have different. but just as a guideline, remember that anything you get will be much easier to see through when it's in the sun, and believe it or not, 15% is really common (because it's legal on the rear windows of all cars and most of the time come that way from the dealer) which is dark, but still clear enough to where at a glance, no one (or cop) will really notice. i'm only 16 years old and i have 15% visibility AND drive like it's 2012, but i've never been pulled over for anything. it's all about being smart and knowing who or what's around you. i know you just said you're only looking for something that'll look good, so i'd recommend 25%, it's darker than 35%, which looks like no tint at all when you really see it, but not as dark as 15%, which is pretty dark the first time you see it on a window. ask around and look at friends' tint in person, because everything looks different in pictures. hope you get exactly what you want and it all works out for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin99coupe View Post
35%, 15% and 5% are what's most common, some places have different. but just as a guideline, remember that anything you get will be much easier to see through when it's in the sun, and believe it or not, 15% is really common (because it's legal on the rear windows of all cars and most of the time come that way from the dealer) which is dark, but still clear enough to where at a glance, no one (or cop) will really notice. i'm only 16 years old and i have 15% visibility AND drive like it's 2012, but i've never been pulled over for anything. it's all about being smart and knowing who or what's around you. i know you just said you're only looking for something that'll look good, so i'd recommend 25%, it's darker than 35%, which looks like no tint at all when you really see it, but not as dark as 15%, which is pretty dark the first time you see it on a window. ask around and look at friends' tint in person, because everything looks different in pictures. hope you get exactly what you want and it all works out for you.
Thanks! My friend has 35% and they look tinted from the side and at night but when it's a sunny day they don't look that dark at all.. my other friend has 20% and those look dark as hell when you just look at them, but if you get down and look through window to window you can see very clearly.. and inside at night you see clear too. I think I'm going to take your recommendation of 25%.. I just need to find a place that has that tint. A lot of places here only do a limited amount of percentages.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks! My friend has 35% and they look tinted from the side and at night but when it's a sunny day they don't look that dark at all.. my other friend has 20% and those look dark as hell when you just look at them, but if you get down and look through window to window you can see very clearly.. and inside at night you see clear too. I think I'm going to take your recommendation of 25%.. I just need to find a place that has that tint. A lot of places here only do a limited amount of percentages.
not only that, but most places that offer illegal tint also have extra prices tacked on and stuff. i got the greatest deal ever, guy was running a half off special for 125, but since i was referred he gave me a discount because i knew this kid (who's given him a lot of business), and after tax and tip it cost me 125. normally, base price would be 125, one darkness past legal would cost 20 extra (and 5% - two past - would cost 40 extra), tax would be around 9 or 10, then a 20 dollar tip would equal out to around 170-175. and it was an amazing job too. i researched a lot and price hunted, and a lot of places told me the quarter windows would be really hard to tint cause of the teflon and the size, but where i went, this guy didn't say a thing about it, and the quarter windows turned out great. really nice guy too, he was actually the one who convinced my dad to let me go 15% all around. so i guess what i'm getting at is you can get a good job done without breaking bank, so make sure you do your research, like tint laws, and hunt around a bit to see what places are offering. and definitely talk to your friends.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #33
Road Trip!

Quote:

I forget what my friend has on his Camaro but it's like perfect. From the outside its like.. Holy **** those are dark, but inside you can actually see out perfectly. I think he said 25%

The thing is, I don't need them dark, I'm doing it more so for the nice look to the car as opposed to so no one can see me in my car. I'm also not trying to get the attention from cops in the local area.

Not to mention from Mid April till the end of summer I usually go to my house in Sea Side Park and the cops down there during the summer are real ********.. so I gotta consider how much they'd hassle me for them as well.
but if you have darker tints ur interior will last longer and be cooler after having it parked outside.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno4life View Post
but if you have darker tints ur interior will last longer and be cooler after having it parked outside.
And that definately helps when you have a black car like my baby
interior still looks really good for being 10 years old

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

The heat is what bothers me the most. In LA if you park your car in the sun for a shortwhile it's probably 200 degrees in the car sometimes. I used to always put of a sundeflector and after I got my windows & windshield done it would stay cooler in the car than outside.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing