Debating These Fogs Over Stock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Sko
Debating These Fogs Over Stock

I'm in the process of looking at getting fogs on my 2002 V6. My car comes with the smoked head lights so I am kind of debating these fog lights over the stock ones. Opinions?

Ryan Sko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Debating These Fogs Over Stock

Those look nice, I say go for it!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

To bad you cant see what they look like on a car first. I think they would look good from what they show.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer007 View Post
To bad you cant see what they look like on a car first. I think they would look good from what they show.
I'm gonna look for pics of a Stang with them in and on.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, I was just looking closer at the picture and realized.. that harness bracket doesn't look like it'd work on the bumper.

Or am I wrong?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sko View Post
Honestly, I was just looking closer at the picture and realized.. that harness bracket doesn't look like it'd work on the bumper.

Or am I wrong?
Actually, I was going to say that those lights actually have the same style brackets as the OEM fogs. There are a lot of aftermarket fogs that don't have the same style brackets and they don't fit well.

Those look really good...the smoked lens looks yards better than the stock lens.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Actually, I was going to say that those lights actually have the same style brackets as the OEM fogs. There are a lot of aftermarket fogs that don't have the same style brackets and they don't fit well.

Those look really good...the smoked lens looks yards better than the stock lens.
Sweet, than it's a go.. now I just need to figure out where to get the wiring kit from. I found the fog light switch for my interior panel, $37 for the damn thing.. $89 for the lights.

Any ideas where I can find the wiring?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet, than it's a go.. now I just need to figure out where to get the wiring kit from. I found the fog light switch for my interior panel, $37 for the damn thing.. $89 for the lights.

Any ideas where I can find the wiring?
I'd check with VMP Tuning. They have numerous fog light kits. I believe they do sell a kit with everything but the actual fog lights.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: 97-04 Everything But The Foglights - Kit

If that doesn't trip your trigger check with the site sponsors...Latemodel Restoration may have something as well.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Semi expensive job going on right here.. damn. Shooting for a little less than $250.

Thanks for all of the help Sonic, this site needs a reputation button.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Semi expensive job going on right here.. damn. Shooting for a little less than $250.

Thanks for all of the help Sonic, this site needs a reputation button.
No problem, anytime.

Ya the fog lights can get expensive if you do everything to the book like they come from the factory. A lot of guys will just splice them into the headlights but I've never been a fan of it and liked the idea of having a switch in the car.

If you get that "Everything but the Fogs" kit from VMP, you'll get the switch for the interior (I'm guessing you have the 01-04 style under the radio in front of the shifter). $120 for that kit plus the $90 for the smoked fogs...you might make just make it under 250 with shipping...after that it's just install.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

$40 of my $250 was counting the switch from another site, didn't even realize it came with the kit. That's great though. Yes, I have a 2002 and have the square buttons under my radio. Putting it in the original slot of the far right. So the empty button is in the middle.

Just actually read what that kit comes with. Thanks again man this helps a lot. I'll probably buy the kit in a few days and get the lights next week.

What's your best way of handling the cutting out of the bumper slots. I got those plastic cross bars, they just snap off or do I cut em off, file the sides down and then go to town with the harnessing?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$40 of my $250 was counting the switch from another site, didn't even realize it came with the kit. That's great though. Yes, I have a 2002 and have the square buttons under my radio. Putting it in the original slot of the far right. So the empty button is in the middle.

Just actually read what that kit comes with. Thanks again man this helps a lot. I'll probably buy the kit in a few days and get the lights next week.

What's your best way of handling the cutting out of the bumper slots. I got those plastic cross bars, they just snap off or do I cut em off, file the sides down and then go to town with the harnessing?
That's what I did...I cut them off and then filed down the nibs real good. You really don't see anything when the fogs are actually sitting in there.

I took a good pair of snips to remove the bars too, so I didn't take the chance of knicking the bumper with a saw.

I'd suggest putting the front of the car up on a set of ramps or jack stands so you can really move around underneath. Be sure to take your time when installing the lights..those little tabs on the bottom of the bracket can break off real easy and you don't want that. Other than that it's not too bad to install. I personally haven't done the wiring/harness part, but it does look straightforward and VMP has decent install instructions.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet deal. I hate lips that break easy. I snapped the Mach 1 Grill Delete lips that were suppose to slide under the bumper lol..

But for the most part it sounds like an easy install.. even if I can just mount the lights in with the screws and then wait on my friend to do the wiring another day. Seems like the back of the fog light is just a plug, so I would think I can harness them up and screw them in place.. then just tackle wiring later.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask any questions when you install them

Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds good keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask any questions when you install them
No doubt man, thank you. I'll keep you all posted.. stay subscribed!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

These def look a lot nicer than stock
Old 03-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the OEM fogs for the 99-04 GT/V6 look cheap to me, those would look better with the dark headlights for sure
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_stang View Post
These def look a lot nicer than stock
Which is why I'm very interested man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the OEM fogs for the 99-04 GT/V6 look cheap to me, those would look better with the dark headlights for sure
Which is also why I am very interested. The theme to the car is Mineral Gray and Black, so I'm trying to put as much on it without going too overboard.

So far the front end looks beautiful with the Mach 1 Grill Delete and Smoked Headlights.. I figured those fogs will bring out a nice look than top the front end off with a chin spoiler.

The back has the black vinyl inserts on the bumper and I plan on getting smoked tail lights.

Top the whole car off with some tints. Then that's the finished product.

However, the tail lights are a lot harder for find. I'm trying to keep the stock look. The reason I am not tinting them is because I want to find stock tails with a smoked housing, but it appears to be rather difficult to find.. as far as not looking ricey at the same time.

If anyone has a good site or some ideas let me know!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Just buy a stock set of tails and tint them. That's what I'm gonna do. Can't find any good tinted ones.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Just buy a stock set of tails and tint them. That's what I'm gonna do. Can't find any good tinted ones.
Eh, than I may not even **** with it.. IDK yet, I'll wait to see how yours come out. Hah..

Anyway, I found these other fogs that look a littler lighter, but still smoked, and they look nice. Here's a customer picture.

Due to the image link not working, here is the link to the direct photo. Same color car for best idea of how they'll look.. it's how I do business.

http://customerpics.americanmuscle.c....php?img=20327

Link for anyone interested in these lights.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/smoked...ghts-9904.html
Old 03-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sko

Eh, than I may not even **** with it.. IDK yet, I'll wait to see how yours come out. Hah..

Anyway, I found these other fogs that look a littler lighter, but still smoked, and they look nice. Here's a customer picture.

Smoked Mustang Fog Lights (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! is the light.. idk, lighter smoke, less rice behind the lense, or I'm just stupid.
I gotta get with fiend. He has a guy close that tints them.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
I gotta get with fiend. He has a guy close that tints them.
Did you not like these.. picture didn't work again.. fixed.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/tailli...04-smoked.html
Old 03-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you not like these.. picture didn't work again.. fixed.

Raxiom Smoked Mustang Tail Lights (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
I was going to suggest these to you since you didn't want to mess around with spray/vinyl tint.

Those look pretty nice, and have the reverse light left noticeable so the police shouldn't bother you. I think that's one of the biggest problems they have, along with distinguishing whether the brakes are applied during the day.

I've heard good things about those Raxiom smoked tails...I'd consider them

Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was going to suggest these to you since you didn't want to mess around with spray/vinyl tint.

Those look pretty nice, and have the reverse light left noticeable so the police shouldn't bother you. I think that's one of the biggest problems they have, along with distinguishing whether the brakes are applied during the day.

I've heard good things about those Raxiom smoked tails...I'd consider them
Already have my man, they are the closest to stock. I didn't want to do the spray or the film because I wanted something that looked close to normal and it came that way.. like my head lights. So I'm probably getting these tails before the fog lights.. easier install and $100 cheaper.

They are none ricey either, and close as hell to the stock look. I'm hoping to get them soon! They don't look dark to the point seeing brake lights will be hard, they just seem to match the third brake light and that's another reason I love them.

The cars going to come along great with everything on the wish list. Not braggin.. just saying hah.

Great minds think alike Sonic!
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Already have my man, they are the closest to stock. I didn't want to do the spray or the film because I wanted something that looked close to normal and it came that way.. like my head lights. So I'm probably getting these tails before the fog lights.. easier install and $100 cheaper.

They are none ricey either, and close as hell to the stock look. I'm hoping to get them soon! They don't look dark to the point seeing brake lights will be hard, they just seem to match the third brake light and that's another reason I love them.

The cars going to come along great with everything on the wish list. Not braggin.. just saying hah.

Great minds think alike Sonic!

Ha word my man

No you're not braggin at all...that's pretty much how I'd do a car in that color...dark accents and wheels look the best imo.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Wheels are going on after my tax return. Hahha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing