Waxing... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina
Waxing...

I was wondering about waxing my Shelby....it has the Vinyl stripes that present an edge on wherever they meet the paint...I was wondering if this would create a problem waxing the vehicle and if the wax would get in the crack/edge where the strips begin????
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Waxing...

I would recommend using a new generation of wax that doesn't leave the residue.

Something along the lines of NXT or something similar.

Other option would be to tape the stripes and wax as normal.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
Road Trip!

that's what I was thinking I have seen some waxes lately that required no hazing and thought that might be the way to go..figured somebody here would be able to suggest the best!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah that's what is nice about those next gen liquid waxes, they don't mess up vinyls, plastics and trim...some don't last as long as the traditional paste waxes, but they do work nicely.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Should I cover up the stripes so it doesn't get on them or does it matter?!?! because I definitely don't want them peeling on me
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Shelby View Post
Should I cover up the stripes so it doesn't get on them or does it matter?!?! because I definitely don't want them peeling on me
I personally don't know since I don't have stripes and don't really use those waxes...just paste wax for me.

Either call the wax manufacturer and ask them whether it's safe to use directly on the stripes or simply tape them off with some automotive painters tape.

Supposedly most vinyls are safe to wax...some manufacturers recommend occasionally waxing them to keep that nice finish..but the stripes might be different, and as you said you don't want any wax residue or buildup along the stripe edges.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Road Trip!

I think I will call them and only use that type of wax so IF they start to peel because of it I'll simply blame them.....do you have any liquid waxes you would suggest?!?!?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said I really don't use liquid waxes at all...I just picked up a can of Gold Class paste.

I've heard good things about Meguiars NXT 2.0 but I'm not sure about its effects on stripes.

Maybe someone that uses the liquid waxes will suggest some.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

You might want to give Turtle Wax Ice a try. Looks totally clear like water and I use it on my black plastic trim and on my chrome wheels. It would probably work well on the vinyl stripes (they need protection too). Maybe you can use it along the edge of the stripes (about an eighth of an inch or so) so you don't have to get too close with the other wax you use on the paint.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
Like I said I really don't use liquid waxes at all...I just picked up a can of Gold Class paste.

I've heard good things about Meguiars NXT 2.0 but I'm not sure about its effects on stripes.

Maybe someone that uses the liquid waxes will suggest some.
I use the NXT mentioned. Really good stuff.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

T nxt stuff is pretty good I use miguires gold on mine .
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
You might want to give Turtle Wax Ice a try. Looks totally clear like water and I use it on my black plastic trim and on my chrome wheels. It would probably work well on the vinyl stripes (they need protection too). Maybe you can use it along the edge of the stripes (about an eighth of an inch or so) so you don't have to get too close with the other wax you use on the paint.
Wait a second, you mean you actually Wax the inside of your vehicle? Like the dashboard and any other plastic piece in the car? Can you do that? And won't it leave the residue after it dries in the lines of the dash? I can't stand finding that white residue on parts of the car that I didn't get to, even months after I've waxed it.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Never tried that.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont wax up to the edge, if you want you can get some painters tape and put it on the stripe just a bit off and onto the paint so you wont be able to get up to the stripe~ this will leave a slight edge there but its better than wax buildup.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

If you do get some wax buildup next to the stripe, you can use a q-tip to gently clean up next to the stripe. You can also purchase q-tips that have a pointed tip which work well. Just make sure you don't press too hard or you could lift the strip edge or mar the paint.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Good ideas.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76 View Post
Wait a second, you mean you actually Wax the inside of your vehicle? Like the dashboard and any other plastic piece in the car? Can you do that? And won't it leave the residue after it dries in the lines of the dash? I can't stand finding that white residue on parts of the car that I didn't get to, even months after I've waxed it.
No, I haven't seen a need to do the inside of the car but the Turtlewax Ice works nicely on the black plastic on the outside (grill, mirrors, window trim, etc) and under the hood. I like it because it's clear like water and dries practically invisible so if you don't get it all wiped off it's not that big of a deal. I like it because it makes the dull black plastic look brand new again and makes the chrome really shine
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf

No, I haven't seen a need to do the inside of the car but the Turtlewax Ice works nicely on the black plastic on the outside (grill, mirrors, window trim, etc) and under the hood. I like it because it's clear like water and dries practically invisible so if you don't get it all wiped off it's not that big of a deal. I like it because it makes the dull black plastic look brand new again and makes the chrome really shine
+1. Ice is an all around great product.
Pete08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:11 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
I'll have to give that a try!
Old 04-17-2011, 06:03 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

I am going to have to pick up some of this Ice wax stuff, I have been hearing a lot of good aout it lately for some reason must be true.
I am going to need more shelves in the garage for all the stuff I bought and either dont use much or just cant throw away even if I dont use it.

I get like a kid in a candy store when I go down the cleaning and detail isles at stores.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I don't care for the ice stuff it's to hard to tell where I put it because it is clear my wife uses that on her car and she loves it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing