Car washing? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Car washing?

What does everyone use to wash there car with? Anything special? Or just dish soap? Pressure or hand wash? What types of wax does everyone like? Does anybody have any home made remedies for tar/bugs off with? Share what u do!
Please share.

I usually just go to the car wash and pressure wash it. But i think I might hand wash it today! Dish soap I believe will be what I use.
93stang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Car washing?

Dish soap will remove all of the wax from your car. IF you wash it with that, you better wax it afterwards.

I use whichever car wash shampoo i buy from walmart. Sometimes it's Meguires, sometimes it turtle wax.

I will do the dish soap routine once or twice a year just to freshen everything up with new wax.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Meguires Car Shampoo
Meguires Wheel Cleaner
Meguires Leather Conditioners and Wipes
Meguires Clay Bar
Meguires NXT
Meguires Interior Dressing

I use Meguires products...

I do power wash with low pressure if the car is covered with dirt...otherwise normal hose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

a good thing to get tree sap off I use rubbing alcohol but you have to wax the spots you use it on because it removes the wax, but it takes the sap off real easy.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Never use dish soap unless the plan is to strip all the wax off so that you can apply a fresh coat of wax. Don't go cheap on soap,buy a good brand because you won't have to use as much and the car will stay nice and slick during washing.

Since you are thinking of washing your car with dish soap,im assuming you are a little inexperienced in detailing? Go check out the Adams products and their site,they have some super helpful videos on everything from washing your car the right way to waxing and engine cleaning.Start with the washing your car video and you will see that some of the things you do on a normal wash can damage your paint.

Good luck!
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Start here: Instructional Detailing Videos

Dish soap is not needed (as the others mentioned) unless you intend to strip the surface of your car, which isn't really desirable if you're just planning on washing.

Our soap is pH balanced so it does the exact opposite, it leaves your wax intact so regular washes don't degrade your protection.

Secondly you want to do a 2 bucket wash (this is outlined in the videos) with multiple wash pads for different areas of the car. Also the grit guard insert for each bucket is cheap insurance against grit introducing swirls to your finish.

Dylan@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

My wash routine for a quickie wash:
Put car in shade make sure it has had time to cool off.

Pull out caddy with assorted cleaners, all puropse, wheel, window, bug and tar etc.

Pull out hose with fire hose nozzle on, turn on hose.

Note any areas that have bugs, tar etc. Spray with bug and tar remover.

Grab wash buckets, mitts and brushes and absorbor chamois and towels about 6 terry cotton towels and one glass towel.

Rinse buckets out really well, fill one bucket with water, one with shampoo, rinse wash mitt off, rinse out brushes insert brushes into bucket for wheels and tires.

Insert wash mitt into bucket with grit gaurd and shampoo.

I start with the wheels like Adams videos.

Usually between rinsing wheels I spray bug remover

I Then scrub bugs/tar/sap/etc. off then rinse the car really well top to bottom, then clean the car top to bottom, I get the rocker pannels last.

Rinse the car off and dry with absorbor. After the car is rinsed and dried I then clean the outside windows with Sprayway glass cleaner, then the inside windows.

After that is finished, I vacuum the car, wipe the dash with a damp towel, touch up any areas inside with a damp cloth sprayed with all purpose cleaner, dry areas that were damp.
Clean-up and you're done.

This takes about 50 to 75 minutes.

Common Products I use:
Surf-city garage Bug and Tar; Beyond black tire dressing.
All Puropse and Wheels- hi-temp
Wash- Meguiars Gold class though I'm replacing it with hi-temp
Glass Sprayway

Adams polishes seem like they are really good. It is worth checking them out if you are starting. It would cost me alot more to switch over now, but if I were new to it I'd consider buying their polishes. I may consider buying thier carpet cleaner next time. I used bissell formula what a nightmare.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #8

Region: Indiana

I use Adams products.Using Adams car wash,i first foam up the car then follow up with the wash.Kind of nice because you don't have to keep stopping to rinse off the soap,it can actually dry on the car and not spot.
I have a black car and it has been quite a challenge trying to keep it clean.We live in the middle of a woods with a dusty gravel driveway.
tryck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryck11
I use Adams products.Using Adams car wash,i first foam up the car then follow up with the wash.Kind of nice because you don't have to keep stopping to rinse off the soap,it can actually dry on the car and not spot.
I have a black car and it has been quite a challenge trying to keep it clean.We live in the middle of a woods with a dusty gravel driveway.
That sucks....I know the feeling. My work has a gravel driveway and gravel parking lot. So with all the vehicles coming in and out my car gets covered in gravel dust :-/
Old 05-31-2011, 07:29 AM   #10

Two things: In the winter or to just get the dust off after the car has been sitting, I use a great product called Griot's Spray On Car Wash. The kit is only about 25 dollars, and it works great. I started using it for a classic car, but it works great on the pony as well. For a regular wash I use a combination wash and wax product from Armor All. Nice job, and it goes fast!
tbirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea only use dawn detergent (regular one) if you wish to remove wax etc to reapply it. Otherwise use good car soap~

I recommend a water filtration setup to filter out hard water crap that cause spots, water doesnt cause spots its the minerals in it that does.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93stang306 View Post
What does everyone use to wash there car with? Anything special? Or just dish soap? Pressure or hand wash? What types of wax does everyone like? Does anybody have any home made remedies for tar/bugs off with? Share what u do!
Please share.

I usually just go to the car wash and pressure wash it. But i think I might hand wash it today! Dish soap I believe will be what I use.
I would not use dish soap unless you want to strip the wax off of your car!

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

dish soap is a big no no when washing a car unless you are also going to wax it , and I have yet to find a bug and tar remover that works on pine tree sap I use rubbing alcohol and rewax the spots.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

you can clay bar it to remove crap, I try to keep the car clean so that build up like tar and sap dont get a chance to get on their good.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My other stang got parked in the street my new one gets parked in th drive way because my street is lined with pine trees and they drop sap and pine cones year round my wifes car is nothing but dents and dings because of those stupid trees .
Old 05-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

ouch, thats horrible can you build at least some sort of covered parking type setup?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

no my neighbor had a covered thing in his driveway and the city made him take it down because it was a violation of city laws.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
no my neighbor had a covered thing in his driveway and the city made him take it down because it was a violation of city laws.
Daily dose of b.s.^
03GT88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Has any used the Mr. Clean car wash setup. Its suppose to leave a spotless shine
Old 05-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to LSUstang

They all say that and yea it kinda works. I hate having to replace those water filters. You end up wasting money on the filters ( The filters don't drain after you use it and the water just sits in the filter). I have one and use it sometimes but I regret buying it. You can't get better than a good old bucket and soap/water!
I hear the waterless carwash is good though.

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
-2001 White Vert V6- Sold
LSUstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

What is the waterless carwash?
Old 05-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Nope no b.s. WereKEV is right. Some cities have laws where nothing is allowed in the driveway or outside. Code enforcement constantly bit$&es at us.
Look up chemical guys waterless wash. great stuff. IMO the two bucket method is the best for me.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

When I have to touch the paint...meguires car wash extra strong, and a microfiber sponge that is replaced once a year. Two bucket method with a few extra rinses.

For anything on the paint other than a little dirt it is treated with the clay bar then rewaxed afterwards.

Also, for those of you using anything to dry your car...please stop. Go buy a $30 leaf blower from a local store and use it. It's quite amazing.

Rule of thumb is touch your paint as least as possible. It's pretty easy for me... I drive the car, rinse it off, dry, and put back under car cover in the garage until I want to drive it again.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern stang
Nope no b.s. WereKEV is right. Some cities have laws where nothing is allowed in the driveway or outside. Code enforcement constantly bit$&es at us.
Look up chemical guys waterless wash. great stuff. IMO the two bucket method is the best for me.
I was aware of that just stating opinion.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
When I have to touch the paint...meguires car wash extra strong, and a microfiber sponge that is replaced once a year. Two bucket method with a few extra rinses.

For anything on the paint other than a little dirt it is treated with the clay bar then rewaxed afterwards.

Also, for those of you using anything to dry your car...please stop. Go buy a $30 leaf blower from a local store and use it. It's quite amazing.

Rule of thumb is touch your paint as least as possible. It's pretty easy for me... I drive the car, rinse it off, dry, and put back under car cover in the garage until I want to drive it again.
I've used the leaf blower method Haha it does work quiet well.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT

I have a place that power-washes & with their own preference of car soap & towel dries by hand for $10. It's worth it for me to trek across town to get my ride shined up for that low of a price & they do some good work as well.
Pete07GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #27

Ha ha I'm not alone my shop vac doubles as a blower and yes it is great. I've tried the Mr clean worked great for our hard water but too much$$$ for weekly washes I just go to the local pressure wash rinse with plenty of spot free water blow dry and finish with a good spray on finish wax . Every few months I do the dish soap clay and wax. You should visit a detail supplier the place I use has been very helpful and they offer detail classes by the way there are different grades of clay for different finishes
black stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88 View Post
Has any used the Mr. Clean car wash setup. Its suppose to leave a spotless shine
it just filters out the minerals so the water has nothing to leave spots with. You can make your own filter for 40 bucks and a trip to home depot using a fridge water filter and some connections to connect it to your outside water hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT88 View Post
What is the waterless carwash?
DWG International™ - Manufacturer of Dri Wash 'n Guard® is what i use, great stuff no washing with water needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUstang View Post
They all say that and yea it kinda works. I hate having to replace those water filters. You end up wasting money on the filters ( The filters don't drain after you use it and the water just sits in the filter). I have one and use it sometimes but I regret buying it. You can't get better than a good old bucket and soap/water!
I hear the waterless carwash is good though.
You can buy filters you can clean/reuse if you make your own.

and a leaf blower works great, they also make things now that are designed just to blow dry cars.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern stang View Post
I know i'm right it is really true in cali.some cities are real dicks.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I have used the Mr clean system it does work to a certain extent but buying the filters was a pain in the wallet.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a quality wax 10 mins with a cheap blower from walmart, a good microfiber and spray wax and you've got a spot free ride
Old 06-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I got that Mr clean thing when I had a black saturn sc coupe and I had to wash it so much it was easier and faster for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

My dad bought one a couple years ago and we used it for a while but never bought any refill filters after a while.
Here's a couple pics of beading two weeks after one coat of collinites 845
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1331852349.png
Views:	212
Size:	989.8 KB
ID:	27342   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1955731566.png
Views:	196
Size:	1,017.8 KB
ID:	27343  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1495013886.png
Views:	197
Size:	932.9 KB
ID:	27344  
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern stang View Post
If you have a quality wax 10 mins with a cheap blower from walmart, a good microfiber and spray wax and you've got a spot free ride
unless you own a black mustang
Old 06-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I almost bought black instead of red but didn't want the extra full time job keeping her clean :/

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing