Red or Black? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Red or Black?

i'm getting my car painted for my birthday, but the only question is, do i stick with laser red or go black? i live in florida, so black will be tough work, but i'm willing to put in the work to make it look clean. if i go red, i'll put a black hood decal, black rocker panel stripes, and black mustang lettering decal on the car. i'd br trying to go for a mach 1 look. on the other hand, if i go black, i'll put red le mans stripes, red rocker panel stripes, and red mustang lettering on it. those would strictly be body color differences, i've got other ideas depending on what color i choose. gimme your guys' thoughts and opinions. what do you think?
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Year?
jhagan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
I think you should keep it red

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

To do it right, it will cost a lot more to change the color.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Red or Black?

changing a color is FAR harder than repainting, I highly recommend you do not change the color of the car as to get it right is VERY expensive... also black is a horrible daily driver color as you can not keep it clean no matter what
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

it's a 1999 V6, and either way i'm probably going to get it painted at maaco. they're looking to charge about 500 dollars to sand off the original paint, buff any worn out spots, which on my car there's only one that needs attention, and then repaint it with a few high gloss coats and then a clearcoat. it's about the best deal i can find where i live, because the next cheapest place is about 700 dollars and doesn't offer as much.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

originally i was planning on sticking with red because it's about the only red new edge where i live (although on a typical drive through my town you see, on average, about 15-20 mustangs), but i watched death race yesterday and that got me thinking that you see even less black new edges, especially one with red on it. but, why would changing colors be a lot harder than getting the same color?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've never dealt with maaco, but your getting ready to receive a hail storm of anti-maaco. It is more time and work because to make it look right you have to jam the doors and engine bay. This means more disassembling and more time and $.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Stick red. I did and maaco did a good job on mine and I loooove it
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The guy i bought my 92 from got it painted white at maaco. Looks good except for the fact there is overspray everywhere
78survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I would keep it red black is very labor intensive to keep clean I had a black car once and that was enough for me.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

when it comes to paint jobs you get what you pay for... and you need to research first fully who you trust to paint your car.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts

i honesty love black and when its clean and waxed and freshly washed its like the best color and its wicked mean looking, but once it starts to get dirty and even a little bit of dirt will make it look horrible. red is nice becasue you can do the black lettering and stuff so it just depends how much work you want to put in it to clean it. but thats my oppinion, either way it will look good, its just if you are tired of red then get black but if you like the look of it now get red
znpzmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

i wash my car, or at least try to every weekend, and it never goes unwashed for more than a month plus or minus a few days. i love washing, cleaning, waxing, or doing anything to make my car look nice, so upkeep on a black mustang wouldn't be as big a problem. i'm starting to lean towards black more now that i think of it, but another question arises. being new to cars, and even newer to painting cars, what are the do's, don't's, and tips and tricks when looking for a place to paint your car? i've already done research about places to paint, and maaco is about the only one, and on maaco.com and looked at their services. i'm going to go next week to the shop and talk with them about the painting, i'll let you guys know how that goes. and another big question (sorry guys i've got a lot i know), would painting the car include the plastic inserts in the side scoops and hood scoop?
Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Definitely research some other shops locally besides maaco. Do your homework. You may be living with it for years so your cost per day of driving is small even if you pay more at better shop! I have red mustang and black maxima and as long as you stay on top of it both colors are great. Black looks so amazing when its fresh and clean! Good luck!

work in progress...
2002 v6, Dual Flowmasters, SCT SF3/X3 Tuner, AM CAI....
next up lowering, gears...
shaqfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
My car I really wanted black at the time red was all the dealership had and I was yo impatient to wait got red have all flat black accents and it looks pretty good you can tell blacks a pain because even just my stripes get way dirty way faster then the red. Go with red because of the extra cash it will take for black. Plus red and black is a pretty awesome color mix. Black makes for a great accent color.
Dubya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i decided i'm going with red. i went to maaco today to get a quote, and i got the sweetest deal, a summer blowout special: supreme paintjob, value prep, and integrated clearcoat, normally priced for $800, for only $500. i'm gonna be taking my car back there sometime this week, i'll make sure i get before and after pictures. thanks for all the help you guys, and juat so everyone knows, thus far maaco's given me great service, and even talked me out of pointless extra products, so i know that they're not only about getting my money, which is awesome.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I am sure it will look great
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

good luck dude!, I'm excited to see the rrsults
afree05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing