Mustang Evolution Forum banner

My take on the Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel

5K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  DDTCM 
#1 · (Edited)
First off this is a honest opinion about my experience and not intended to bash Adams or their products in way whatsoever.

For over 15yrs I have been using The Water Sprite (the same one) and it has been excellent. No streaking,absorbs very well and has held up for over 15 yrs.

Water Sprite Plus� Chamois 4 sq. Feet

Recently I discovered Adams products through this site and I was pretty impressed with their knowledge and products. With that being said I figured it was time for me to sit my faithful Water Sprite to the side for something new.The new being Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel.

Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel

The price was great and shipping was way faster than expected.I recieved it on a friday (3 days) which was just in time to test it out for the weekend. It was huge in size which was great but I wasnt a fan of the edge on it,it looked like someting that could possibly leave some micro marring.It also didnt feel like a super soft material that wouldnt scratch the paint.It almost resembled a kitchen towel,it had the same texture and look. I know detailing products and methods advance over the years like anything else so I intrusted the good folks at Adams and decided to give it a try.

I washed the car in my usual method and sheet rinsed it so there would not be a ton of water to dry off.Right before drying I sprayed the car down with some instant detailer as Adams suggested and as I was drying i noticed with each sweep or pass it would leave a long streak but would dry right up afterwards.I thought that this might be a issue but after seeing the streak dry I shrugged it off.I will say that I was very impressed with the way this thing absorbed water. Not once did I have to ring it out and in the end the car looked spotless! I was impressed to the point of retiring my old friend the water sprite......until later that night when I was gassing up and under the bright lights of the Texaco I noticed those long streaks that I thought werent going to be a issue. I noticed several of them but didnt have time to comb over the car because I was already running behind and I thought that it was just a couple spots. No big deal right?

Fast foward 2 weeks later,(lastnight) I washed the car in the same method but this time before drying I left out spraying the car down with instant detailer. Again,I noticed the long streaks while drying and again they dried right up. No worries right? WRONG.....when I arrived to my destination and stepped out I noticed the streaks immediately and they were everywhere. It was embarrassing! Im the guy that gets the questions like,"How do you keep that car so clean" or "Does that car ever get dirty"? So lets just say I wasnt happy at all. These streaks were a greasy film,almost like the towel was coated in something. This morning I went out in the garage just to give it a once over and make sure It wasnt just me and yes,they are still everywhere.So,today I have to go over the car again which I am not to happy about seeing that it will be 100 degrees in my garage.

So in the end I am not at all happy with my purchase or the results of this product. Also,I would not recommend it to any other forum members. I will however recommend The Water Sprite to anyone out there who wants a quality Chamois that will stand the test of time. I will probably be using the Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel for my wheels in the future.

Again,this thread was not made to bash but to inform the members of M.E. of my experience and this is strictly my opinion.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
DDTCM said:
First off this is a honest opinion about my experience and not intended to bash Adams or their products in way whatsoever.

For over 15yrs I have been using The Water Sprite (the same one) and it has been excellent. No streaking,absorbs very well and has held up for over 15 yrs.

Water Sprite Plus� Chamois 4 sq. Feet

Recently I discovered Adams products through this site and I was pretty impressed with their knowledge and products. With that being said I figured it was time for me to sit my faithful Water Sprite to the side for something new.The new being Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel.

Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel

The price was great and shipping was way faster than expected.I recieved it on a friday (3 days) which was just in time to test it out for the weekend. It was huge in size which was great but I wasnt a fan of the edge on it,it looked like someting that could possibly leave some micro marring.It also didnt feel like a super soft material that wouldnt scratch the paint.It almost resembled a kitchen towel,it had the same texture and look. I know detailing products and methods advance over the years like anything else so I intrusted the good folks at Adams and decided to give it a try.

I washed the car in my usual method and sheet rinsed it so there would not be a ton of water to dry off.Right before drying I sprayed the car down with some instant detailer as Adams suggested and as I was drying i noticed with each sweep or pass it would leave a long streak but would dry right up afterwards.I thought that this might be a issue but after seeing the streak dry I shrugged it off.I will say that I was very impressed with the way this thing absorbed water. Not once did I have to ring it out and in the end the car looked spotless! I was impressed to the point of retiring my old friend the water sprite......until later that night when I was gassing up and under the bright lights of the Texaco I noticed those long streaks that I thought werent going to be a issue. I noticed several of them but didnt have time to comb over the car because I was already running behind and I thought that it was just a couple spots. No big deal right?

Fast foward 2 weeks later,(lastnight) I washed the car in the same method but this time before drying I left out spraying the car down with instant detailer. Again,I noticed the long streaks while drying and again they dried right up. No worries right? WRONG.....when I arrived to my destination and stepped out I noticed the streaks immediately and they were everywhere. It was embarrassing! Im the guy that gets the questions like,"How do you keep that car so clean" or "Does that car ever get dirty"? So lets just say I wasnt happy at all. These streaks were a greasy film,almost like the towel was coated in something. This morning I went out in the garage just to give it a once over and make sure It wasnt just me and yes,they are still everywhere.So,today I have to go over the car again which I am not to happy about seeing that it will be 100 degrees in my garage.

So in the end I am not at all happy with my purchase or the results of this product. Also,I would not recommend it to any other forum members. I will however recommend The Water Sprite to anyone out there who wants a quality Chamois that will stand the test of time. I will probably be using the Adam's Great White Microfiober Drying Towel for my wheels in the future.

Again,this thread was not made to bash but to inform the members of M.E. of my experience and this is strictly my opinion.
Thanks bro! That stinks having to redo the exterior. When waxing I find it better not to use instant detailer on the car, but only a light spritz on the pad.

I use hi-temp products exclusivly. And only premium microfiber.

I use an absorber but if I need something different I'll try the water sprite.

#8 ·
Did you talk to adams about this at all? I mean, it sounds weird for a towel to leave anything on the car that wasn't already there unless it was contaminated before use which could happen anywhere in the packaging/shipping process.

This definitely sounds like an anomaly.

#10 ·
Leaving a review on something that might have been defective/contaminated/an anomaly is very misleading to members though. I've forwarded this thread to adams to get their take on it to see if it might have been a process thing, a defective towel thing, etc.

I just think it best to get all the info possible for members so they can make a fully informed decision, not one based on something that may have been a fluke.

#11 ·
Definitely an unusual experience, I noticed you mentioned you used "some instant detailer" and not ours specifically. Without knowing for sure that might be part of your problem... you're applying a technique we outline with our product and if you're using someone elses its entirely possible its getting you the less than desirable results.

In the end its rather hard to differentiate your problem from our towel or the detailer you're using, but its rather unlikely that you'd see a towel cause streaking unless there was something introduced to the paint at some point.

#12 ·
Definitely an unusual experience, I noticed you mentioned you used "some instant detailer" and not ours specifically. Without knowing for sure that might be part of your problem...

In the end its rather hard to differentiate your problem from our towel or the detailer you're using, but its rather unlikely that you'd see a towel cause streaking unless there was something introduced to the paint at some point.

Not being a ass Dylan but this is why I did not bother with a respones to P.V. as to contacting yall and figured I would deal with it on my own. I knew that the response would be....

"you're applying a technique we outline with our product and if you're using someone elses its entirely possible its getting you the less than desirable results".

If this is true are you saying that this specific technique is to only be used with Adams instant detailer and if that is the case why did it happen without instant detailer?

#13 ·
WOW... sorry I seemed to have touched on a nerve there, I was simply offering a little perspective for you and a possible issue that may have caused it. I'm not implying that ONLY our detail spray can be used as a drying agent, but if I'm clueless as to what product you are using all I can do is assume. I know ours works, I don't know what you used or if it will work.

Without knowing specifically which product you're using I have no way of accounting for an issue that is, based on many thousands of these towels sold without complaint, unusual. Many detail sprays contain oils, polymers, waxes, and any other number of things that could clog up the towel and leave a residue. I didn't notice any mention of washing the towel in between or before use. How did you clean it? Were fabric softeners ever used in the wash/dry cycle between uses? Did you clean it between uses?

My intent was to help you find a solution, but it seems the tone of your posts is more about voicing your unhappiness with the product and not giving us a chance to help you figure out why or make it right. Either way, if you are that displeased with the product I suggest you take advantage of our 110% guarantee... its there for a reason and does you no good otherwise.

#14 ·
lol,no nerve touched.....I started my thread with this....

Also,I didnt see anything included in the box that suggested I wash it before and in between uses. I do remember a PM from you saying if it ever loses to ability to retain water to use some kind of boiling method.

#15 ·
ALL microfiber should be washed between uses (before isn't necessary, but some people do)... especially if you're using a spray as a drying agent that chemical is now fully saturated thru the entire towel and as soon as it becomes wet is now redepositing that onto the finish, which might in part explain your issue the 2nd time around.

Not to mention that theres always the chance that your towel will pick up some small particles or other debris during use that you'll want to get out of the towel prior to the next use. Unless you use filtered water and a dedicated hose theres all manner of sediment in garden hose water as well.

How do you care for the other microfiber currently in your detailing collection?

#21 · (Edited)
Dylan,that is correct and this is the first time I've done a full wipe down with said microfiber towels. With this new black car I was staying away from that period. Never had a issue where I had to until now. I was just doing a full wash when the car was dusty from sitting in the garage vs a once over with detail spray and a micro fiber and I've never dried it with anything but the water sprite which never gave me a issue.

#23 ·
I am all for second chances. As far as washing.....use a soap without fabric softener and dry without softener sheets,correct? Also wash seperate,correct?
Warm or cold water?

Again,wasnt a bashing and will not stop me purchasing from Adams in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.