Deep scratch removal help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Deep scratch removal help

After spending 11 hrs detailing my new ride, I find this deep scratch on the front passenger side. I was so heated I just saw red!! Didn't find the person who did it, he/she is lucky because I would have fond something crazy!

Anyway, my question is. Do I have to re-paint the entire side or is there an easier way to get rid of it? Here is the damage...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3183784659.png
Views:	380
Size:	714.4 KB
ID:	31423   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1070713020.png
Views:	416
Size:	694.5 KB
ID:	31424  

Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
ThatGiRLKriSsiE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 52
Wow! That is bad! It looks like a little more than a scratch! People are so careless. We work so hard to have nice cars and keep up with them and it takes a few seconds for them devalue them!
ThatGiRLKriSsiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Deep scratch removal help

You might try this before going to the expense of painting the whole panel.
Dupli-Color Scratch Fix

Just follow the directions carefully and take your time to build up the damaged layers. Then clear over it after it is level with the surrounding surface once again.
These little kits do work, but very rarely have I ever seen anyone take the time to do it right. If you do, it will work out just fine and cost you much less.

I'm all for doing things myself/yourself. If you run to let a pro or shop do everything for you, you won't ever learn anything.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Deep scratch removal help

can you feel it runing your finger over it?

You can clean some of the scratch up but if its in the paint deep enough to really feel then its not gonna come out, I recommend letting a pro touch up person have at it (dont do it yourself) then if that doesnt solve it ... you will have to get it painted.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
You might try this before going to the expense of painting the whole panel.
Dupli-Color Scratch Fix

Just follow the directions carefully and take your time to build up the damaged layers. Then clear over it after it is level with the surrounding surface once again.
These little kits do work, but very rarely have I ever seen anyone take the time to do it right. If you do, it will work out just fine and cost you much less.

I'm all for doing things myself/yourself. If you run to let a pro or shop do everything for you, you won't ever learn anything.
Where can I find this product at? It seems it's the cheapest way to take care of it but I just don't want to make it worse. Worth looking into it, thanks.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
00STANG00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gonzales
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 801
Send a message via AIM to 00STANG00 Send a message via Yahoo to 00STANG00
thats a scuff mark i have few of them wet sand is one way to get it out here one of my big ones with a bent. damn suv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2719723354.png
Views:	309
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	31482  
__________________
SUCK MY DUST
00STANG00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
avengnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stafford
Region: Virginia
Posts: 1,643
Re: Deep scratch removal help

That sucks, sorry bastards!
__________________
~ Alan Mustang Livin' and www.mustanglivin.com
2014 Shelby GT500
avengnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
can you feel it runing your finger over it?

You can clean some of the scratch up but if its in the paint deep enough to really feel then its not gonna come out, I recommend letting a pro touch up person have at it (dont do it yourself) then if that doesnt solve it ... you will have to get it painted.
Yeah I was able to peel some of the paint off, it was that bad. I might have the dealership look at it and see what can be done before I try to fix it my self.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00STANG00
thats a scuff mark i have few of them wet sand is one way to get it out here one of my big ones with a bent. damn suv
Yeah I've seen scuffs come out with wet sanding but mine is no scuff, I wish it was lol.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Deep scratch removal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelar_5.0 View Post
Where can I find this product at? It seems it's the cheapest way to take care of it but I just don't want to make it worse. Worth looking into it, thanks.
Click on the link in the post to go to their website.
Most auto parts stores handle Dupli-Color products.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Click on the link in the post to go to their website.
Most auto parts stores handle Dupli-Color products.
I clicked on it but there is no match for ford vehicles.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Deep scratch removal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelar_5.0 View Post
I clicked on it but there is no match for ford vehicles.
Are you using a phone to access the internet?
I am using a PC and they are there.

What year & color code is your car?
I'll see if I can find the page for you and put a link here.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Are you using a phone to access the internet?
I am using a PC and they are there.

What year & color code is your car?
I'll see if I can find the page for you and put a link here.
Yeah I'm on iPhone, it's a 2012 and race red is the color I believe. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Deep scratch removal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelar_5.0 View Post
Yeah I'm on iPhone, it's a 2012 and race red is the color I believe. I really appreciate your help. Thanks.

You're welcome.

I had to go to PaintScratch.com to find it.
Dupli-Color doesn't go past 2010.

Touch up paint pricing

Color Choice

I had to use a Shelby Mustang in the car choices to get the paint color you need, but that shouldn't be a problem.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Sweet thanks.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
I'd let an airbrusher handle it. It should be able to be spot painted.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
I'd let an airbrusher handle it. It should be able to be spot painted.
Yeah I would think so. It would be a lot cheaper.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelar_5.0

Yeah I would think so. It would be a lot cheaper.
And they also blend the paint.
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
sinister07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Region: California
Posts: 379
Re: Deep scratch removal help

Here in California, most of the big dealerships hire out little paint repairs to guys that specialize in "chip" repair. Maybe if you contact a dealer in your neck of the woods they can direct you to one. I had several parking lot dings that pissed me off- I had the chip dude fix them for $40. The car looked good as new. If you decide to fix it yourself with the Duplicolor kit, be sure to invest in this-

LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair
sinister07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Deep scratch removal help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister07 View Post
Here in California, most of the big dealerships hire out little paint repairs to guys that specialize in "chip" repair. Maybe if you contact a dealer in your neck of the woods they can direct you to one. I had several parking lot dings that pissed me off- I had the chip dude fix them for $40. The car looked good as new. If you decide to fix it yourself with the Duplicolor kit, be sure to invest in this-

LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair
Great find!
That should help level out the paint and make it even easier to effect the repair.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
Awesome thanks!
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
RVAStang05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Virginia
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avelar_5.0
After spending 11 hrs detailing my new ride, I find this deep scratch on the front passenger side. I was so heated I just saw red!! Didn't find the person who did it, he/she is lucky because I would have fond something crazy!

Anyway, my question is. Do I have to re-paint the entire side or is there an easier way to get rid of it? Here is the damage...
Did you ever get this fixed? I know I'm a little late to this party, but I will really second what the poster who mentioned chip repair guys said. These little companies can work wonders. I had bumper damage that makes yours look like nothing ( search bumper scratches fixed) or I can show you a before and after- I put pics up on a post though - looks like it never happened. These guys came to my work, and fixed it all for $245.
__________________
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
RVAStang05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Virginia
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAStang05

Did you ever get this fixed? I know I'm a little late to this party, but I will really second what the poster who mentioned chip repair guys said. These little companies can work wonders. I had bumper damage that makes yours look like nothing ( search bumper scratches fixed) or I can show you a before and after- I put pics up on a post though - looks like it never happened. These guys came to my work, and fixed it all for $245.
Here's some before and after pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1895033681.png
Views:	230
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	33613   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3897934501.png
Views:	393
Size:	739.7 KB
ID:	33614  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2566011587.png
Views:	222
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	33616   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-242429257.png
Views:	211
Size:	705.7 KB
ID:	33617  

__________________
Pype Bomb Axle-Backs, JLT CAI, SCT Tuner w/Bama tuning, BMR Strut Tower Brace, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Black Hood Pins, Black Shorty antenna, Tru-Billet Black Anodized GT engraved Fuel Door, Black Lemans Stripes, Black Rocker Stripes, Brushed Aluminum finish dash and vents, Stack Racing pedals, Charcoal Black Leather Interior, Gloss Black Bullitt Motorsport Wheels, Nitto 555 tires, staggered set up (9/10), 35% tint, Shaker 1000 Stereo with Kicker Upgrades, Ultra Violet footwell, license plate and dome lighting
RVAStang05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Avelar_5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 49
That's a great job, looks great.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
avengnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stafford
Region: Virginia
Posts: 1,643
Re: Deep scratch removal help

Awesome!!! Looks Great!!
__________________
~ Alan Mustang Livin' and www.mustanglivin.com
2014 Shelby GT500
avengnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chrome removal 1970fbm351 Classic Mustangs 3 08-31-2011 05:18 AM
Interior paint removal Hons67 Classic Mustangs 5 08-29-2011 03:24 PM
Deep dish Cobra R wheels + Falken Azenis tires Lapida Mustang Wheels & Tires 12 08-16-2011 12:19 PM
Steering wheel removal zrider07 1996-2004 Mustang GT 3 07-25-2011 09:54 AM
Specialty lucgnut removal poloka 2011-2014 Mustang GT 2 07-23-2011 08:45 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:19 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.