Wax question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Wax question

Has anyone tried layering 2 different types of wax. Example I have meguires caranuba wax and eagle one nano wax I was going to layer the nanowax on top of meguires would it make a difference or just wast of time, Thanks
Artaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73
Re: Wax question

I have not tried those, but I apply 3 waxes to my car when I clay bar it. I use a polish wax to get the surface clean and ready. A glazing wax to bring out the color, then a caranuba wax for protection.
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would put more effort into the foundation rather than the wax (final coat)

consider washing with dawn, clay bar, wash with dawn, rubbing compound where needed (to remove scratches) then dawn again and full 100% dry then put your wax/sealant on it
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
I would put more effort into the foundation rather than the wax (final coat)

consider washing with dawn, clay bar, wash with dawn, rubbing compound where needed (to remove scratches) then dawn again and full 100% dry then put your wax/sealant on it
How often should I clay bar, I heard that it can ruin your paint if you over do it, I had my car for 2 years (2010 gt) and it's well kept with only 9k on it besides a few sun swirls that you can barley see should I clay bar it or wait a bit more?
Artaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Swirls are from the grime/dirt that you can't get rid of by just washing and then waxing it. About using dawn, idk but I've heard it's bad not to dog on it but it's for dishes and that's why there's car wash soap. Look at the meguiars videos on YouTube, they are very informative and how to use the products. All I use is meguiars products. Also look up the two bucket wash system, helps preventing future swirls on your car. Btw I've never tried layering two types of waxes, good luck.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Also I would clay bar it, you should clay bar it even if it was brand new from the dealer. Debris/grime/dirt and everything else collects on it as it just sits there. Better safe then sorry. I would definitely clay bar it after 2 yrs, you should be able to feel it after you wash your car. Place your hand in a zip lock bag and rub your car lightly and if it doesn't feel like glass, clay bar for sure.
Avelar_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

The Dawn detergent is used to remove the old wax and grime. My routine is: Dawn wash
Clay bar
Machine polish with Griot's Garage Polish 3
Paint sealant (Griot's)
Wax with Griot's Best of Show Carnauba- 2 coats.

I also clay bar the windshield.
sinister07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

I would guess that layering wax does work to provide extra protection and slipperiness.
I read in an auto magazine years ago that Indy car bodies are waxed with 30 coats of wax to improve the air flow over the cars bodies.

Now you won't be running at fast enough speeds to worry about that, but it should help in the extra protection arena.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing