Waxed the car first time Today - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Waxed the car first time Today

So i picked up a Kit from Turtle Wax, had Carwax/wax stuff, and also some spray wax. So I washed, and then waxed and i must say it was worth the additional effort.( Kind of expected a little more shine to it? But it has a nice shine none-the-less) But AS ALWAYS, its going to rain tonight. Awesome. So couple questions for you pros out there, 1) What wax do you guys use? 2) How often Should you wax? If you've tried different types of wax, i.e. Spray wax vs. normal type smear on stuff, which works best and brings out more of a shine? I'm putting a lot of time into making my old pony look the best it can, and looking for any tips, tricks, or advice any of you who've been at this longer than I, may provide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2090840973.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	46252  
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Looks good man! I've heard to only wax a car a few times a year if you really give it a good waxing. I usually use meguiars or mothers spray on wax. I've used the paste before but it takes sooo long but is usually a little better than spray. I clay my car once a year and just use spray on wax every once in a while and it keeps a nice shine
Whitestang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitestang93
Looks good man! I've heard to only wax a car a few times a year if you really give it a good waxing. I usually use meguiars or mothers spray on wax. I've used the paste before but it takes sooo long but is usually a little better than spray. I clay my car once a year and just use spray on wax every once in a while and it keeps a nice shine
Thanks! So the wax will last awhile then? I'm thinking of putting in the time to use a clay bar, never used it before though, does it make a difference in the shine? Or just remove most of the particles in the clear coat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I wax every other time I wash it with Meguiars ultimate and in between the waxs I use spary glaze/wax by zymöl

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6

Thanks! So the wax will last awhile then? I'm thinking of putting in the time to use a clay bar, never used it before though, does it make a difference in the shine? Or just remove most of the particles in the clear coat?
I had all these little clay colored spots all over my car. I don't have a clue where they came from and no matter how much I washed it and even tried to pick it off with my nail, it didn't budge. Took a clay bar to it and the spots disappeared instantly. I will warn you though that claying a car takes a long time and a lot of elbow grease lol. Like 3 hours for my new edge. It comes in a kit, use a lot of the spray wax it comes with and rub clay hard. Try not to drop the clay bar either. If you don't use a lot of wax the clay will just smear all over the car. And you can do the car a few times with one bar. I used the meguiars kit if I remember correctly. Good luck! Hope you worked out for this lol
Old 04-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had all these little clay colored spots all over my car. I don't have a clue where they came from and no matter how much I washed it and even tried to pick it off with my nail, it didn't budge. Took a clay bar to it and the spots disappeared instantly. I will warn you though that claying a car takes a long time and a lot of elbow grease lol. Like 3 hours for my new edge. It comes in a kit, use a lot of the spray wax it comes with and rub clay hard. Try not to drop the clay bar either. If you don't use a lot of wax the clay will just smear all over the car. And you can do the car a few times with one bar. I used the meguiars kit if I remember correctly. Good luck! Hope you worked out for this lol
Do not use a lot of pressure with the clay bar it should just glide over the paint

Old 04-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol

Do not use a lot of pressure with the clay bar it should just glide over the paint
Yeah just use the weight of the clay, this is why it takes hours and hours you née to make ALOT of passes
Dylanbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
So i picked up a Kit from Turtle Wax, had Carwax/wax stuff, and also some spray wax. So I washed, and then waxed and i must say it was worth the additional effort.( Kind of expected a little more shine to it? But it has a nice shine none-the-less) But AS ALWAYS, its going to rain tonight. Awesome. So couple questions for you pros out there, 1) What wax do you guys use? 2) How often Should you wax? If you've tried different types of wax, i.e. Spray wax vs. normal type smear on stuff, which works best and brings out more of a shine? I'm putting a lot of time into making my old pony look the best it can, and looking for any tips, tricks, or advice any of you who've been at this longer than I, may provide.
Looks great. Very shiny. You thought about getting rid of those side stripes? It makes the car look a lot better, and for silver a cleaner look.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmm I guess the guys at autozone told me wrong but ive only clayed it once so I haven't hurt the paint too bad. I tried it soft but it wouldnt get any of the deep spots. So I had to press a little hard and go over it a lot. How many times should I clay the car a year?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
If time is an issue when claying and waxing .. Just do a section or two then next time u wash do the same thing ..
kjunitalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmm I guess the guys at autozone told me wrong but ive only clayed it once so I haven't hurt the paint too bad. I tried it soft but it wouldnt get any of the deep spots. So I had to press a little hard and go over it a lot. How many times should I clay the car a year?
I do about twice a year, if you keep it waxed you almost never need to clay it, the only part of my car that gets rough is the trunk and rear bumper cause of brake dust/rust that always sticks to the back

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:

There a reason that guy works at autozone
And it's not because he's a parts expert haha

Old 04-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I do about twice a year, if you keep it waxed you almost never need to clay it, the only part of my car that gets rough is the trunk and rear bumper cause of brake dust/rust that always sticks to the back

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

There a reason that guy works at autozone
And it's not because he's a parts expert haha
Haha yeah I guess I'll have to come here first from now on. I know you mentioned the trunk area, but do you ever get those little orange dots on your rear bumper or trunk area? I have a white car and they are annoying. Size of pin heads so you gotta look close to see them but it's hard to keep them off
Old 04-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha yeah I guess I'll have to come here first from now on. I know you mentioned the trunk area, but do you ever get those little orange dots on your rear bumper or trunk area? I have a white car and they are annoying. Size of pin heads so you gotta look close to see them but it's hard to keep them off
Ya that's rust/dust from the brakes, it's 100% normal, the clay bar takes them off no problem but they come back like a month later, put a couple coats of wax on and you'll be fine

Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I clay once every 3 months. Paste wax (meguiars gold class paste) every time I clay, and use a quick gel liquid wax every month and use spray wax every time I wash her. Spray wax also makes it easier to dry. I also take the buffer to the car once a year with some polish after a clay session. I've spent 8 hours at a time working in my car. Sadly I need to repaint her this summer...
Old 04-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya that's rust/dust from the brakes, it's 100% normal, the clay bar takes them off no problem but they come back like a month later, put a couple coats of wax on and you'll be fine
Alright cool I'm glad I'm not the only one being pestered by those things lol. Thanks for all the info, appreciate it!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So with this spray wax, do you guys normally spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes, then buff it in? Or just spray, then immediately buff it it? And i have black specks of i dont even know what right behind the tire, on the rear bumper, thinking probably tar, but does clay bar work to remove that? Because honestly it drives me nuts.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
So with this spray wax, do you guys normally spray it on and let it sit for a few minutes, then buff it in? Or just spray, then immediately buff it it? And i have black specks of i dont even know what right behind the tire, on the rear bumper, thinking probably tar, but does clay bar work to remove that? Because honestly it drives me nuts.
Its tire on your rear bumper. Remove with got water and elbow grease or black magic bug and tar remover. Always remove spray wax quickly. It gets gluey fast.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing