At-Home painting tips/advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
At-Home painting tips/advice?

Hey everyone, my friends and I are wanting to learn to prep and paint our own cars. We have a bunch of sn95's really needing some exterior love..
After going around different paint shops and talking around, I've learned that 95% of what they charge is for prep work alone; and that's because it's time consuming WORK. Well, we can do it. I'm just looking for some advice if anyone has any.
What do you recommend using as far as tools and equipment go?
I can get the money, but don't have any personal experience with air compressors, paint guns, etc. I don't want to buy something that will blow up after a month of use, but this will not be a full-time paint shop either.

Thanks in advance to anyone that chimes in. I'd love to hear it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
You are going to need a solid air compressor to start with. Gonna need at least a SCFM of 8.0 @ 90 psi. Higher would be even better, say 11.0 @ 115 psi Steady and constant pressure is required to run continuous air tools like sanders. And the steady pressure is an absolute must when painting.

There are many paint guns out there. Just find one that is comfortable for you and is a top feed.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: At-Home painting tips/advice?

its hard work, not easy, and you have to know a ton of stuff to do it right. If you wish to learn great, just realize its a long road with many issues that you have to fight through to get it right.

and as you said prep work is the KEY along with the conditions you do the work in.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the tips guys.
I have an extra trunk lid and hood that we can practice/work on. On the hood, there's a big chip on the front out of the fiberglass. How can that be repaired?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Bondo may be able to be used, but if possible I would re-fiberglass it.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Still in planning stages, shopping around. Home Depot has this 60 gal compressor rated at 10.5 scfm @ 90 psi. $469. non-portable.
Also have a nice air tool set for $79.
They had a display model of the spray gun. Nice and comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120426_192711.png
Views:	171
Size:	517.9 KB
ID:	48334   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120426_192802.png
Views:	169
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	48336  

Name:	ForumRunner_20120426_192815.png
Views:	179
Size:	448.5 KB
ID:	48337  
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods
Still in planning stages, shopping around. Home Depot has this 60 gal compressor rated at 10.5 scfm @ 90 psi. $469. non-portable.
Word of advice and speaking from experience, don't go cheapon air tools cause you get what you pay for.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Quote:
+1 with the compressor...summit has good deals on devilbis hvlp kits..
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief

Word of advice and speaking from experience, don't go cheapon air tools cause you get what you pay for.
most of the time i would agree with this. but i will tell you the harbor freight brand chicago air(maybe) is pretty dam good.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief View Post
Here's the links to the compressor and air tool kit. It does have the HVLP spray gun.
3.2 Running HP 60 Gal. Compressor-VT6314 at The Home Depot

4-Tool, 53-Piece Air Tool Kit-CAT851 at The Home Depot

The spray gun was a very sturdy feeling unit. Didn't feel cheap at all.
Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
+1 with the compressor...summit has good deals on devilbis hvlp kits..
DeVilbiss a good brand? This one looks nice.
DeVilbiss 802343 - StartingLine HVLP Gravity Feed Paint and Primer Spray Gun Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

Here's the links to the compressor and air tool kit. It does have the HVLP spray gun.
3.2 Running HP 60 Gal. Compressor-VT6314 at The Home Depot

4-Tool, 53-Piece Air Tool Kit-CAT851 at The Home Depot

The spray gun was a very sturdy feeling unit. Didn't feel cheap at all.
Thoughts?
my first thought was that should be ok. i have used some husky stuff with good results. but after reading the reviews on the compressor i would be careful. i have had my crafstman compressor for 6 years now and still runs like new. the air tool set people seem to be happy but havent used the spraygun much. they say the impact is week. but imo an 80$ set obviously wont be the strongest hitting impact. some people just expect the world. if you want a strong impact you are gonna pay 200-300 plus. hell i have a 600$ snapon.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

my first thought was that should be ok. i have used some husky stuff with good results. but after reading the reviews on the compressor i would be careful. i have had my crafstman compressor for 6 years now and still runs like new. the air tool set people seem to be happy but havent used the spraygun much. they say the impact is week. but imo an 80$ set obviously wont be the strongest hitting impact. some people just expect the world. if you want a strong impact you are gonna pay 200-300 plus. hell i have a 600$ snapon.
Totally agree. I have never been sold on Husky but some people have had good experiences with it. The tool kit is okay for a starter kit, just don't expect too much out of it. A solid 1/2" impact driver will cost at least $200 by itself. Same for a quality sprayer.

If you are serious about doing your own body and paint work, a $79 tool kit ain't gonna cut it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief

Totally agree. I have never been sold on Husky but some people have had good experiences with it. The tool kit is okay for a starter kit, just don't expect too much out of it. A solid 1/2" impact driver will cost at least $200 by itself. Same for a quality sprayer.

If you are serious about doing your own body and paint work, a $79 tool kit ain't gonna cut it.
exactly. i think it would be worth buying the starter kit till you feel comfortable though. my dad is a professional painter. he has been using the same gun for about 25 years. and thats with heavy use. he has been painting for about 35 years. so a quality gun is worth it. but make sure you want to follow through before you drop big money. because alot of people decide they want to paint and then find out it is not for them. i would definatley look into a different compressor. you should still be able to find one good enough in similar price range.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

What do you guys use? I'm pretty clueless and there seems to be a lot of difference in opinion over the oil or non-oiled kind, what brand, etc. Links would be great.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
What do you guys use? I'm pretty clueless and there seems to be a lot of difference in opinion over the oil or non-oiled kind, what brand, etc. Links would be great.
my compressor isnt really big enough to spray but i probably could get away with it. it will sand and run most air tools just fine. i have a 33gallon 6.5 hp peak crafstman. when i got it i had a friend that worked at sears. it was on sale, used club card, and employee discount. so i got it for 260$ and it included the impact ratchet etc. mine is oil free and i cant stand how loud it is. it is low maintenance though. next time i will sacrifice the maintenance for it to be more quiet.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

this one looks pretty good. not real familiar with brand but the specs are good and good reviews.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5341_200455341

---------- Post added at 10:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

even this one. trusted name kobalt has bad review from some good reviews from others. but i like it
http://www.lowes.com/pd_221565-14989...7C1&facetInfo=
Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
A non-oiled unit is usually good for around 5000 hours of use. An oiled unit is usually good for around 20000 hours of use. Harbor Freight has some good products, as does Northern Tool. A decent compressor is going to cost at least $600 for a 60 gallon unit.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

As far as impacts I know craftsman and ingersoll rand are pretty much the top of that. Ingersoll rand is really good and last forever. Good for heavy use.
Watchawow07SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchawow07SGT
As far as impacts I know craftsman and ingersoll rand are pretty much the top of that. Ingersoll rand is really good and last forever. Good for heavy use.
I have in pneumatic a 300$ ir. I also have a crafstman, cp, and kobalt to. The ir is definatley the best. But none of them hold a candle to my battery operated snapon.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

I have in pneumatic a 300$ ir. I also have a crafstman, cp, and kobalt to. The ir is definatley the best. But none of them hold a candle to my battery operated snapon.
Yeah. I forgot to mention snapon. Theyre good as well.
Watchawow07SGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Great, guys. Your input means a lot.

I'm going out of town this weekend, but when I get back I'll be sure to check out all of the brands and links you all mentioned. Keep up the discussion!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Imo craftsman is a perfect diy'er brand. A little pricey bit not to bad. The hand tools are all lifetime warrantied and are decent quality.

The snapon stuff is not really necessary unless used everyday then it may. Because snapon will cost you nearly twice the price of anything else. But there really isn't anything of better quality IMO.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
Oh and fyi yes that is the devilbiss kit I have...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120427_203710.png
Views:	173
Size:	624.4 KB
ID:	48470  
XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Get a set of durablocks for sanding..try to use the biggest one as it will help show you all of your low spots
wyostang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Looks like everyone taking care of your tools list but not much on the paint and prep materials 3m Masking paper.. Tape 11/2 yellow.. 3m has great body fillers and evercoat as well plenty of other beamds have good fillers and glazes but like one guy said fiberglass filler us a great tool its not the same as resin and fiber sheets called fiberglassing its and actual filler with fiber in it use a good sand paper 3m or norton both have good paper ull need 80 and 220 180 1000 1500 last two are a wet/dry paper for wet sanding ur best friends higher grit finer it cuts .. Back mask everything every crack or over spray will get there any trim pieces or moldings make sure if u aint taking them off to get tape under them and rolled up a bit so paint can cover and you wont havr tape lines.. Always use a sealer filler primer .. devilbiss is a great gun kit the finish line or starter kit .. 95 % of a great paint job is defiantly prep so dont take it lightly always wash cars first with a silicone free soap after dried clean any surface with a great surface cleaner the new waterborne base cleaner is one best on market it don't spread around the oils your hands put on panels like the solvent base cleaners do use lint free shop towels Make sure you area you painting in is clean your hose is clean always test spray paper to make sure your gun pressure and spray pattern is a nice wide even line pressures vary among painters always stay 6- 12 " away from panel don't ever start in middle always end and finish on an end ...
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Imo craftsman is a perfect diy'er brand. A little pricey bit not to bad. The hand tools are all lifetime warrantied and are decent quality.

The snapon stuff is not really necessary unless used everyday then it may. Because snapon will cost you nearly twice the price of anything else. But there really isn't anything of better quality IMO.
Agreed on the Craftsman. A while back we combined and got a Craftsman hand tool set (one of the big ones..) and it's been great. No problems with ratchets or anything, really. Joseph had an OLD ratchet that gave out. Went to Sears to the Craftsman store and they replaced it no questions asked. Awesome.

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Oh and fyi yes that is the devilbiss kit I have...
Nice! Can I have it?

Please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangg2000 View Post
Looks like everyone taking care of your tools list but not much on the paint and prep materials 3m Masking paper.. Tape 11/2 yellow.. 3m has great body fillers and evercoat as well plenty of other beamds have good fillers and glazes but like one guy said fiberglass filler us a great tool its not the same as resin and fiber sheets called fiberglassing its and actual filler with fiber in it use a good sand paper 3m or norton both have good paper ull need 80 and 220 180 1000 1500 last two are a wet/dry paper for wet sanding ur best friends higher grit finer it cuts .. Back mask everything every crack or over spray will get there any trim pieces or moldings make sure if u aint taking them off to get tape under them and rolled up a bit so paint can cover and you wont havr tape lines.. Always use a sealer filler primer .. devilbiss is a great gun kit the finish line or starter kit .. 95 % of a great paint job is defiantly prep so dont take it lightly always wash cars first with a silicone free soap after dried clean any surface with a great surface cleaner the new waterborne base cleaner is one best on market it don't spread around the oils your hands put on panels like the solvent base cleaners do use lint free shop towels Make sure you area you painting in is clean your hose is clean always test spray paper to make sure your gun pressure and spray pattern is a nice wide even line pressures vary among painters always stay 6- 12 " away from panel don't ever start in middle always end and finish on an end ...
Thanks a lot for the response, I'm sure that took a while to type up.
Prep materials are cheaper than the tools, so that's why I'm not totally worried about that at the moment. The first thing we will need to acquire is the air compressor. After that, we'll need a place to do the work.
We may be temporarily using a covered canopy for our "test" vehicles.
Once they have been acquired, air tools, then, prep materials, etc. etc.

Thanks again. Will keep this updated.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Not long lol I sell all tools and body supply materials I'm in out of bout 200 body shops a week .. Harbor freight has decent compressors and tools .. Snap on is big in all my shops
mustangg2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #27
Road Trip!

My dad has a Coleman 12 or 14 cfm air compressor. And it was shot 5-600$. And it has worked flawlessly for about 5-6 years now. I didn't remember the brand earlier in the thread but I would take it any day. I know Coleman isn't top of the line or anything but he has painted many cars with it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing