Thinking about lowering my car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thinking about lowering my car

One of my friends talked me into it but I want your guys opinions. Does it make much of a difference in handling? Is it worth it? I know it makes your car look more aggressive. But sometimes it seems like it'd be a pain in the butt when driving since you gotta stop at every tiny bump in the road and my driveway also is kinda curved a little at one point so I wouldn't want to scrape it every time I park it at home. So how much would you drop a car and is it worth the money?
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
A couple of things to consider. What type of driving do you mostly do? If you lower your car will the car shops still be able to put it on the alignment rack with out tearing something up? I have had a couple of friends lower their cars and all I hear is how rough it rides and what a pain going over speed bumps wondering if the car is going to bottom out. Pulling into a parking lot that has a steep incline at the entrance will the front bumper scrape going in. These are just a few thoughts that kept me from lowering mine. My car handles good and I have no problems keeping it under control with the hd stabilizer bar in front and rear.
kf4myo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: Thinking about lowering my car

Depending on the height, you don't have to worry about scraping. The Mustang is super high. I did FRRP 1" drop. Looks great. Handling from springs is an interesting topic.

Often times, lowering the ride height itself doesn't make the car handle better per se. What it does is it allows you to push the car to what it could already but without excessive lean, you are more confident in how hard you push it.

A misconception for decades has been that you lower a car and it handles better. This isn't always true. Suspension geometry is very important. Lean while unwanted, is not always unnecessary. A balance between stiffness and predictability and suspension travel all in the hands of a capable driver are what makes a great race car.

Now, what are your goals? It sounds like you do not road race or auto x much if at all. So, I would say even a 1" drop is a lot. My FRRP springs worked great and did help inspire confidence but they are much stiffer than even the sportlines it is said. So, in that case, you can skip the springs. If you do want inspired handling that you can NOTICE, springs, sway bars and tires will cure the average Joe.

Additionally, lowering your car any amount changes the LCA angle, thus reducing straight line traction. I had a very obvious bad angle right after my 1" drop.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well I had a pretty low drop on my car when I bought it and it was the stiffest suspension I have ever driven. I could feel the bumps when I ran over the white "paint" on the road when you get to an intersection and the white "paint" for crosswalks and it felt like I was slamming into bricks. The whole car shook. It was horrible. Needless to say, we got it checked out and it was warping my strut towers it was so rough so we went back to stock height with a whole new suspension. And when pulling out of some driveways i cringed because i usually was preparing to hear the bumper get the s*** scraped out of it. With that said, my car was extremely responsive, even at high speeds, did not sway at all if I swerved for something on the highway. And it makes the car look bada**. So i would advise to stay off bricks and rough roads and steep driveways but if you have all smooth roads where you live I say go for it
Whitestang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

So what would be a good setup you think cause i was thinking of getting the Eibach Pro-Kit springs or the Ford Racing Lowering N-Springs off of AM then take it to a shop to get em installed. Is there anything else that you would recommend so the alignment doesn't mess up. Like what would be a good set up to you and how much you think it'll run?
Rcary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it make a huge difference especially when some nice wheels are added. The issue is you need to find out the spring rate, I would go with a progressive spring over a linear any day (for ride quality and handling)

also, the stock shocks/struts are valved for a given spring rate so you want to see how the new springs work with that and get new ones if needed.

you can lower it to much as well, there is an optimal level, not sure where it is so research that as well.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcary
So what would be a good setup you think cause i was thinking of getting the Eibach Pro-Kit springs or the Ford Racing Lowering N-Springs off of AM then take it to a shop to get em installed. Is there anything else that you would recommend so the alignment doesn't mess up. Like what would be a good set up to you and how much you think it'll run?
There is a Great buy on Eibach pro springs eBay $125 w/free shipping. From Roush ind. Bought a set installed myself (easy). I love the looks and handling. Also bought billet lca's $150 and billet Panhard bar $124. Oh and Ford Racing bumps $39. Deals are there if u look.
Mich mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing