waxing black mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
waxing black mustang

any tips on how to make it not come up hazy an to look beautiful? good products?
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: waxing black mustang

if the car has older paint on it i reccomend the Meguiars Paint Restoration kit...along with that buy a cheap orbital buffer and some extra bonnets...all in all you'll spend less then $50 in most cases for all of it at any auto parts stores..that kit is something i use after every winter to bring back my paint to a great finish..

now if you just want to wax it without doing the prep steps that come in that restore kit like claying the car to get the contaminents out of the paint or using a cutting compound (again in that kit)...i'd reccomend mequiars NXT tech wax...it's good stuff
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Turtle wax black box. The wax is black!
bobsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I never liked the black box at least on my old f150...it was a full size low rider lol so i liked to detail it.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix
if the car has older paint on it i reccomend the Meguiars Paint Restoration kit...along with that buy a cheap orbital buffer and some extra bonnets...all in all you'll spend less then $50 in most cases for all of it at any auto parts stores..that kit is something i use after every winter to bring back my paint to a great finish..

now if you just want to wax it without doing the prep steps that come in that restore kit like claying the car to get the contaminents out of the paint or using a cutting compound (again in that kit)...i'd reccomend mequiars NXT tech wax...it's good stuff
it's a 2011 so it isn't too old!
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by emery2483 View Post
it's a 2011 so it isn't too old!
honestly doesn't matter...paint wears every year. and a year of driving will contaminate paint enough that just waxing it will cause swirl marks
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Use a clearcoat safe polish ( lowest cut) and low speed on a random orbital... then use tech wax 2 ( sealant) or paste synthetic like meguire's ultimate wax. Like glass. I tried the turtle wax black series... didn't like it. Left patches that didn't look even. Even the detailed.

I have a 2011 gt black. ( and I wash / detail often). Wax 4 times a year.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Finally someone that waxes as much as me...awesome
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't want to admit it... But really 6 times a year.

Now in my defense, it is a daily driver sitting outside everyday in Houston's fine weather.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What if it was custom painted black over white. Same thing as a solid black car or different. I use turtle ice products all the way
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ice is nice too. But ive found meguir's stuff leaves a deeper shine. On black cars. .. But Ice is cool because you can treat the trim and plastics.

12.538 ET @112.33
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

can you wax too much? i wax mine once a month.
todd mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd mulder
can you wax too much? i wax mine once a month.
Not if you are covering the old wax with the exact same product. Just don't Ice it one month, then Mcguiar's it another and then Mother's it the next. If you do want to try different waxes then wash it with Dawn soap before applying the new wax. You should use a polish after using Dawn and before waxing.

Edit : If you want to put care into your protection every month, I would suggest going about it in a different way. Every two weeks I go over the entire car with Mcguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer. It extends the life of your wax and polish by keeping it moist. And it adds that slick "wet" look all of us Black Mustang owners love. It also helps in the beading of the water.
sixty4half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

thanks, i will try that. i think i have been creating a build up and looks hazy.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thanks, i will try that. i think i have been creating a build up and looks hazy.
What wax product are you using? Some waxes are meant to be reapplied every month. Others are meant to last several months, even up to a year on some products.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I use the stuff from griots, I do the entire process, I just bought my 13 and I used this stuff and it was absolutely amazing, mine to is black... The entire kit cost me close to 300 bucks, including the rags applicators and all the chemicals, they also make stuff for the interior...
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i am currently using m-ron glass by california custom. very user friendly. easy on and off even in direct sunlight. beads very nice.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i am currently using m-ron glass by california custom. very user friendly. easy on and off even in direct sunlight. beads very nice.
That one is perfectly fine to reapply every month. It's a cleaner/wax so what it does is strip the old wax and then apply the new coat of carnuba. It even suggests using it every 1 to 3 months.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

ok, i will continue w/ my regimen. thanks for your input
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy
Use a clearcoat safe polish ( lowest cut) and low speed on a random orbital... then use tech wax 2 ( sealant) or paste synthetic like meguire's ultimate wax. Like glass. I tried the turtle wax black series... didn't like it. Left patches that didn't look even. Even the detailed.

I have a 2011 gt black. ( and I wash / detail often). Wax 4 times a year.
I'm also from Texas but from the DFW area. I'm looking for a wax so meguire's ultimate wax is what I should use? I used to wax my other car at the turn of every season and the paint job looked new for years everybody thought that I had a new paint job. This is what I used on my other car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-629500133.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	64520  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

You could go the easy route and use a spray on wax. I use one by maguires (the quik-wax), and I apply it every two-four weeks with no problem at all.
ghst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghst
You could go the easy route and use a spray on wax. I use one by maguires (the quik-wax), and I apply it every two-four weeks with no problem at all.
I've got a bottle of that that came with their claybar set. I haven't used it yet because I want to see if NuFinish Car Polish will REALLY last a year like they say it does. 5 months in and it's still going strong.

Will use the quik wax once the NuFinish starts to wear off.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I've never waxed a car before and want to wax my black mustang because I can't seem to keep it clean.I've only had it for 4 months.

How hard is it to wax a car?
What's a good wax product?
What's the easiest wax product to use?
Can I use a wax spray on a car that's never Been waxed before?
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post
I've never waxed a car before and want to wax my black mustang because I can't seem to keep it clean.I've only had it for 4 months.

1-How hard is it to wax a car?
2-What's a good wax product?
3-What's the easiest wax product to use?
4-Can I use a wax spray on a car that's never Been waxed before?
1- Depends on what kind of product you get. A Spray Wax is going to be relatively easy to use while a 100% Carnuba Paste is going to be harder to apply.
2-Depends on what you're looking for. If you want something that's easy to apply and will last a long time I would recommend NuFinish Car Polish. It's not really a polish and what it does is akin to a wax. It's a zinc polimer that absorbs into the paint providing protection and water beading. It's not going to give you a brilliant shine though. I used it as directed, applying a second coat 30 days after the second, and it has lasted 5 months so far with extreme water beading. It apply's by hand and then wipes off easily once dry.
If you are looking for something that gives a brilliant shine, you'll want to invest in a 100% carnuba paste product. Mother's California Gold is a good line of products that will provide excellent shine.
I haven't used it but I hear that Zain-O is the best in terms of gloss. Products like these will require reapplication every 6-8 weeks.
3&4- Probably a spray wax similar to Mcguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray. I haven't used spray waxes yet but it's basically spray on, spread around, and wipe off. Some people say that these kinds of products should be used more as a wax supplement, in that you would use it every few weeks in between your normal waxing for spots that you notice aren't beading water as well. Others use them as their only form of waxing. I would think that with it being a liquid formula that it wouldn't have the longevity and would need to be reapplied every month or so. It also wouldn't have the gloss that a carnuba paste wax would.

As you can tell, there's not really one definitive answer to your questions. It basically comes down to what you are looking for in your wax. If you want easy of use you're going to have to either give up on the overall look or apply more frequently. If you want the best look possible you're going to be dealing with a harder product to work with and have to apply it every couple of months.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4half

1- Depends on what kind of product you get. A Spray Wax is going to be relatively easy to use while a 100% Carnuba Paste is going to be harder to apply.
2-Depends on what you're looking for. If you want something that's easy to apply and will last a long time I would recommend NuFinish Car Polish. It's not really a polish and what it does is akin to a wax. It's a zinc polimer that absorbs into the paint providing protection and water beading. It's not going to give you a brilliant shine though. I used it as directed, applying a second coat 30 days after the second, and it has lasted 5 months so far with extreme water beading. It apply's by hand and then wipes off easily once dry.
If you are looking for something that gives a brilliant shine, you'll want to invest in a 100% carnuba paste product. Mother's California Gold is a good line of products that will provide excellent shine.
I haven't used it but I hear that Zain-O is the best in terms of gloss. Products like these will require reapplication every 6-8 weeks.
3&4- Probably a spray wax similar to Mcguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax spray. I haven't used spray waxes yet but it's basically spray on, spread around, and wipe off. Some people say that these kinds of products should be used more as a wax supplement, in that you would use it every few weeks in between your normal waxing for spots that you notice aren't beading water as well. Others use them as their only form of waxing. I would think that with it being a liquid formula that it wouldn't have the longevity and would need to be reapplied every month or so. It also wouldn't have the gloss that a carnuba paste wax would.

As you can tell, there's not really one definitive answer to your questions. It basically comes down to what you are looking for in your wax. If you want easy of use you're going to have to either give up on the overall look or apply more frequently. If you want the best look possible you're going to be dealing with a harder product to work with and have to apply it every couple of months.
Thanks for the info,ive never waxed a car before and i dont wana mess it up.ill look into some of the waxes you mentioned.thank you.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I use the ice products as I've had them or a while. The detailed gets used up the quickest. It does a good job and it takes 1/2 the time to a 1/4 of the time a carnauba will. The time saving factor I a plus for me plus it does a good job on the shine etc.

The sad part is it takes a day and then black beauty is dirty again. So much work an so little time
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing