Tinny paint chip repair - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tinny paint chip repair

So, this had to happen eventually, to bad it happened this soon. When I was opening my door, I bumped a tree. Gave me a tinny little chip by on the door. Right where the door ends, and contacts the rest of the car, there is a sliver of paint chip, to where I can see the metal below it.

What is the best way to repair this? Does my Ford dealer have the ability to repair it to like new?

Thanks
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

The same thing happened to me.I had only had my car for like 3 weeks.its a very tiny paint chip where you open the door but you can barely see it.I took it to ford and they said it would be like $500 to fix it cuz they would have to sand most of the door down and repaint it.I was like $500 for that little chip.so they sold me some touch up paint for $10 and that worked fine.the only one that can tell it was chipped was me.planning on getting it repainted soon anyway.
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Tinny paint chip repair

Yeah, that's what I did. I got touch up paint for $15 and repaired it myself. You can only really tell if you know where it is. So I don't plan on pointing it out to anyone lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Send a message via Skype™ to CashKash147
I'm glad some one has this up NCAA my q is that I have quite a bit of chipping on my front bumper and if I do order touch up paint what kind and size do I get?

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Ignore the NCAA bs my phone freaked out lol
CashKash147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashKash147 View Post
I'm glad some one has this up NCAA my q is that I have quite a bit of chipping on my front bumper and if I do order touch up paint what kind and size do I get?

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 AM ----------

Ignore the NCAA bs my phone freaked out lol
Just go to your dealer and ask for some, it comes in a little bottle thingy.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz

Just go to your dealer and ask for some, it comes in a little bottle thingy.

This is the bottle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120821_144346.png
Views:	418
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	64928

This is where the sticker with your paint code is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120821_144402.png
Views:	400
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	64929
sixty4half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4half View Post
This is the bottle.
Attachment 64928

This is where the sticker with your paint code is.

Attachment 64929
Yeah, that's exactly what I got. It looks great. Only down side is that there is a tiny increase where you repair. It makes it less noticeable, but not perfect.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what I got. It looks great. Only down side is that there is a tiny increase where you repair. It makes it less noticeable, but not perfect.
I had to do some major paint chip repair when I got my car. Probably put 60 hours or so into it. I didn't count the total but I used nearly 100 of those post-it arrow tabs to keep track of all the chips I repaired. Here's how you get rid of that noticeability and what you'll need.

Warning: This method does sand down small portions of your clear coat.

The bottle of paint
2000 grit wet sand paper
A few microfiber towels
Rubbing Compound (I used 3M Clear Coat Safe)
Sponge

Optional:
Orbital Buffer
A Polish (I used Mcguires Ultimate Polish)

Do not start these steps until the paint inside the chip has had 24 hours to set. It will completely dry within 4 hours of application but it needs time to really set in.

Once you get the repaired spot up to level or slightly above level with the surrounding paint take the 2000 grit sand paper wrap it around the Sponge, wet the sand paper and sponge. Depending on the size of the chip you will want to tear the sand paper into a smaller strip. I used strips about 3/4 inch thick so I could control the area I was sanding. The sponge is to ensure even pressure on the sand paper. You are dealing with your clear coat here so you don't want to sand down too much. Do not put a finger directly pushing on the sand paper, this will result in an uneven sanding pattern.

Sand the area you are repairing and a small area surrounding it with gently circular patterns using the sand paper/sponge. Sand it until the paint you applied is flat with the surrounding paint. The spot you sanded will have a satin-y look to it now, not glossy.

Next take the brush part of the repair paint bottle out and apply over the spot you sanded. Take your thumb and smear it thinly over the area. Let dry for 45 mins or so and sand it down so the entire are is smooth again.

To return the gloss -
use a microfiber towel and a small amount of rubbing compound and some elbow grease to buff out the area that you sanded down. This step will be repeated multiple times. You will see a little bit of improvement with each pass. When I first did this, I had buffed it out 4 or 5 times and was starting to get worried because there were still scratches left from the sanding paper. I kept at it and eventually it all disappeared.

If the paint that you apply to the chip gets small air pockets stuck in it, you will need to sand it down and re-paint it multiple times. Using the ball-point pen applicator seemed to never produce this result, using the brush caused air pockets very infrequently. But if it does happen, it needs to be addressed or it will not look good.

After that you can polish the area with a DA polisher or orbital buffer.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Ive had a couple of nicks and use the touch up paint.

My back quarter panel got some scratches and I wish I would have buffed those and stuff first. But I have to tell you where to look and then you have to get close to even see them.

I goofed on a hood spot that you can tell but I think I can remedy that one. I applied a little too much touch up.

Black is a pain and I could probably find something new every time I clean it.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Has anyone used that "dr. Color chip" stuff? I was thinking about trying it cause I have quite a few nicks on my hood and front bumper from people kicking up rocks at me
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheman94
Has anyone used that "dr. Color chip" stuff? I was thinking about trying it cause I have quite a few nicks on my hood and front bumper from people kicking up rocks at me
My cars appearance is to valuable to me to "test" a product like that.

How much does a bottle of that cost? Why not just get a bottle of the touch up paint for your exact paint code color? Mine cost $10 from a Ford Dealer here in LA. Just call your local dealer, if they don't have a bottle they'll get one from another dealer for you.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Good point and I think it's like 40 bucks but it comes with the paint (which they do match your color code), a small thing of clear I think and the stuff to blend it in with the rest of the paint. But yeah it probably makes sense to just get the touch up paint
Dantheman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You guys think Ford was a little cheap on the clear coat ? I've had to touch up several chips well, I let a body shop do it. Ive had several new cars and never noticed so many chips I'm a little bummed about it only had the car a couple of months . Maybe since its white I just notice it more.
Virgo062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgo062
You guys think Ford was a little cheap on the clear coat ? I've had to touch up several chips well, I let a body shop do it. Ive had several new cars and never noticed so many chips I'm a little bummed about it only had the car a couple of months . Maybe since its white I just notice it more.
Black shows it equally. I just think I never noticed on my previous cars cause I didn't care as much!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy

Black shows it equally. I just think I never noticed on my previous cars cause I didn't care as much!
I agree. I just never did put in as much time caring for my paint as I do with The Mustang. I did my wife's car because she.was upset with how much time I was spending on my car and I started to notice her car was worse with the chips than mine was.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty4half

I agree. I just never did put in as much time caring for my paint as I do with The Mustang. I did my wife's car because she.was upset with how much time I was spending on my car and I started to notice her car was worse with the chips than mine was.
Ha, same thing happened to me. Now when I detail my car I give hers a courtesy wash.
3dStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Black definitely just shows it more. The wife's car has alot as well though hers is a candy red ad it shows up easy too.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20
Black definitely just shows it more. The wife's car has alot as well though hers is a candy red ad it shows up easy too.
Black does show it as well.I just found 2 tiny paint chips on my front bumper this morning when I got home from work.I was so sad.only had the car a couple months.I've found a couple more but I haven't touched those up yet.

I wish there was a way to not get paint chips at all.ugh.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09

Black does show it as well.I just found 2 tiny paint chips on my front bumper this morning when I got home from work.I was so sad.only had the car a couple months.I've found a couple more but I haven't touched those up yet.

I wish there was a way to not get paint chips at all.ugh.
There is a product called a clear bra, it's a clear vinyl film that covers your bumper and hood most shops that do window tint install clear bras!!
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rm360

There is a product called a clear bra, it's a clear vinyl film that covers your bumper and hood most shops that do window tint install clear bras!!
Thanks ill have to look into getting one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing