Best exterior products - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Best exterior products

Meguiars or mothers? I'm switching from the turtle ice products since last night. The wax didnt come put with a buffer and stayed in more of a liquid state were as its suppose to "harden/haze".
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Re: Best exterior products

mequiars.....
I still like my turtle wax express shine to use at carshows for a fast detail....

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom
mequiars.....
I still like my turtle wax express shine to use at carshows for a fast detail....
The detailer is probably the best stuff I've bought. But the wax is ehhh. I've used meguiars. But that was years back. I've never tried mothers except the polish ball thing.
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Either are fine, i use meguiars for everything inside and out. Ive used all the other brands and hav been slowly converting all my supplies to meguiars, latest is the rich leather cleaner and conditioner which worked great on my other ride.

I used meguiars ultimate compound, then polish, then wax on my 99 infiniti with black paint...it got rid of a sun spot on the hood and heavily reduced swirls. It did more for me than mothers clay bar. On my stang i use the meguiars all wheel cleaner, hot tire shine (first product that introduced me to the brand with best results), ultimate wax, and quick wax spray in between washes. The interior cleaner spray works good and smells great and the ultimate protectant gel gives a semi shine but needs to really be worked in for an even coating.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

If you order online, get Zaino. Otherwise, I've used both and love Meguiars and Mothers.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
If you order online, get Zaino. Otherwise, I've used both and love Meguiars and Mothers.
I've had the ice products as well. I have no complaints other than I know that a better wax job etc can be done but I like how it does a good job in significantly less time although it's not as good as some of the others.

I've heard good things About zanio and t as well. My father in law uses meguiars on his vette and it seems to do a great job as well. I'm thinking of trying more of there stuff when I run out of my ice. That may take a while as I bought the wax when it first hit the market and still have 1/2 a bottle.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20

I've had the ice products as well. I have no complaints other than I know that a better wax job etc can be done but I like how it does a good job in significantly less time although it's not as good as some of the others.

I've heard good things About zanio and t as well. My father in law uses meguiars on his vette and it seems to do a great job as well. I'm thinking of trying more of there stuff when I run out of my ice. That may take a while as I bought the wax when it first hit the market and still have 1/2 a bottle.
The detailer from ice is legit. At least on black and white paint. The wax is horrible with a buffer. I think it ruined my pad honestly. Next ill try mothers then meguiars. I had a can of 3m and it was better than both of them. Too bad it's hard to find around here
Old 08-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The detailer from ice is legit. At least on black and white paint. The wax is horrible with a buffer. I think it ruined my pad honestly. Next ill try mothers then meguiars. I had a can of 3m and it was better than both of them. Too bad it's hard to find around here

I like the detailer as well. I think it gives it a great shine. I haven't tested the you don't have to wash your car as long as it's not too dirty method yet.

What wax did you use? I use their liquid synthetic, and there's no way i would use a buffer as you can start wiping off in just a couple of minutes?

ICE Liquid Wax - Turtle Wax

I like it because you can use it on plastics etc and i can do my whole car in 25 minutes. It looks great and the time it saves me is a plus.

Did you use the Paste? I know on either one it says to just buff with a microfiber towel.

I don't see much 3m by me either. But i'm always up for trying new things, that's why i tried the ice when it first came out. I like that you could get a decent wax on and off in 1/4 of the time as a traditional. Is it as good, no, but it is well worth the time it saves and it does give a decent enough shine.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20

I like the detailer as well. I think it gives it a great shine. I haven't tested the you don't have to wash your car as long as it's not too dirty method yet.

What wax did you use? I use their liquid synthetic, and there's no way i would use a buffer as you can start wiping off in just a couple of minutes?

ICE Liquid Wax - Turtle Wax

I like it because you can use it on plastics etc and i can do my whole car in 25 minutes. It looks great and the time it saves me is a plus.

Did you use the Paste? I know on either one it says to just buff with a microfiber towel.

I don't see much 3m by me either. But i'm always up for trying new things, that's why i tried the ice when it first came out. I like that you could get a decent wax on and off in 1/4 of the time as a traditional. Is it as good, no, but it is well worth the time it saves and it does give a decent enough shine.
I have the polish and synthetic liquid wax. I use the wash as well. The buffer was to clean up the scratches and it still took as long as traditional wax.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Whenever something new comes out I like to buy it and try it. Have not been impressed with any of the turtle wax stuff at all. The only thing they make that I would buy again is the Ice nano spray wax. It's super easy and super fast, does a good job getting rid of water spots (I live in FL), but it's not anywhere near as good as a real wax job. Oh also, Turtlewax also makes badass tire dressing, they call it tirewax, that stuff is awesome.

The best stuff I have ever used is Meguiar's High Tech Yellow Wax #26. Comes in a beige/tan bottle. Hard to find, some Pep Boys Stores sell it. Otherwise you can get it at an automotive paint shop for $15-$20 a bottle and worth every penny. Good by hand best with a buffer (use the buffer to apply it). Meguiar's has also gained my trust on their interior products, I use their leather and plastic/dash board dressings. Their car washes also seem to be a cut above the rest.

There is one thing I have been dying to try, The new stuff they sell at Discount/Autozone, the Griot's Garage show car wax. That is next on my list of things to try.

One last thing, be sure to clay your car when needed before waxing. You will get 100x better results........
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ive heard about that griots stuff, doubt ill ever see it in canada
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

take a few suggestions from a guy who has had 3 cars at SEMA and an overall car cleaning junkie....

Jax Wax Liquid Carnauba Paste Wax for your great looking protective wax

Jax Wax Cherry Wax for the shiney inbetweens thats super easy to apply and take off.

And Meguiars Ultimate quik detailer for the afterwax (extra shine) and between washes.

theres all sorts of other stuff ive used for touchups, swirls, etc..but these are the staples to keep your car lookin showroom (better) new.
http://youtu.be/FnXY-8iSujY?hd=1
alludc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mothers is a good detailer, but I use ice for wax which is a great product
Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I used the turtle wax black box today on my 2012. I must say it looks better than new. I hand wax my black cars unless I'm trying to buff out imperfections. The first compound is real thick and meant to fill in scratches and swirls according to the box. I would keep that off my buffer, it's easy enough apply by hand. Then you spray will some detailer and wipe the first compound off. You could use a buffer for that as it is the part that takes the longest. You do the whole car then go over it all again with there carnuba wax (also in box). That's when the real shine comes out. Best part is, you don't always need to do the first compound, you can just hit it with carnuba wax half way thru the month and be good to go.

I'll try to get a pic up before it rains lol
Old 11-23-2012, 09:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Wear gloves with black box...
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
The wax i use is called collinite wax very good stuff long lasting and shine is awsome. U can't find it in stores just online i got through ebay or amazon for about 14.00 a can
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I just picked up my Stang about 6 weeks ago.

I

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2583222662.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	559.2 KB
ID:	78411

I just finished claying the car(first time I have ever done that)
Came out beautiful

Now I'm in the hunt for a good wax. Going store to store right now lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4024363377.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	529.3 KB
ID:	78412   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3414737555.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	78413  

08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Try Adams products, love them will nerver use another brand.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
I used the turtle wax black box today on my 2012. I must say it looks better than new. I hand wax my black cars unless I'm trying to buff out imperfections. The first compound is real thick and meant to fill in scratches and swirls according to the box. I would keep that off my buffer, it's easy enough apply by hand. Then you spray will some detailer and wipe the first compound off. You could use a buffer for that as it is the part that takes the longest. You do the whole car then go over it all again with there carnuba wax (also in box). That's when the real shine comes out. Best part is, you don't always need to do the first compound, you can just hit it with carnuba wax half way thru the month and be good to go.

Use the black detailer. It's like ice, but for black cars, I've been using it for months now and it has actually helped with minor scratches and swirls.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	image-825407824.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	499.4 KB
ID:	78430
Old 11-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx

I have to get the black box then I have some scratches and alot of dinges from rocks ;( hopefully it'll look better

This the right way to do it?
Wash
Clay
Wax?
Scream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There are opinions on how to clay but I

Wash
Clay
Wash
Wax

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yes wash, clay, you should use a orbital buffer if the scratches r deep.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle
Yes wash, clay, you should use a orbital buffer if the scratches r deep.
No buffer sadly
Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If u have time go to the Adams website and watch the video
Old 11-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard really good things about the black box, I may try that soon on my 2012! I'm so tired of all the scratches
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350
I just picked up my Stang about 6 weeks ago.

I

I just finished claying the car(first time I have ever done that)
Came out beautiful

Now I'm in the hunt for a good wax. Going store to store right now lol
Looks great!
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmustang12 View Post

Looks great!
Thanks. I washed it again today and polished it. Now I gotta wax it tomorrow after I wash it again lol.
I know I know....I'm OCD LOL
Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks. I washed it again today and polished it. Now I gotta wax it tomorrow after I wash it again lol.
I know I know....I'm OCD LOL
Exactly how I am lol except never waxed .... Ya... Lol but always wash it
Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream View Post

Exactly how I am lol except never waxed .... Ya... Lol but always wash it
Lol out it this way, the owner of the car wash sees me there so much, he gives me free washes now
Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol out it this way, the owner of the car wash sees me there so much, he gives me free washes now
That ... Would be awesome
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I hope the car wash is brushless,
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I only you pressure. Nothing ever touches my paint
Old 11-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350 View Post
I only you pressure. Nothing ever touches my paint
*use*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing