Mustang Evolution Forum banner

When you clay bar, should you wax after?

29K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Soccerluvr4 
#1 ·
I'm wondering this because I don't have anything in order to do a wax... And I know using a clay bar is pulling all the impurities off as well as was (if there is any)

Just wondering if I could just wash/ dry and then clay bar it? If so does the detailed spray stay on the car in liquid form? Or does it vanish after using the clay bar? Like do I do an area with the detailed spray... Clay bar it.. Then do I have to use a micro fiber to clean it of to sit?

Need to know if i should only wash it for now or do I wait till I have the clay bar and wax and do it then? Or will just a wash and claybar be okay?

#2 ·
Yes! Depending on how detailed you want it you may also want to polish it before you wax it though. This is how i do it:
1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Clay Bar
4. Wash
5. Dry
6. Wax

I wipe down each section after i clay bar it with a micro fiber. You also want to make sure that you liberally spray each spot you are going to clay. Something you may want to do with a fresh piece of clay is since the clay won't have lube on it yet just give it 1 spray with the detailer to get it going.

Unless your paint is spectacular and you want to keep it that way then you don't necessarily have to polish, but it will make it look better if you do. But if you decide to then polish will be #6 and wax will be #7

#4 ·
1slosix said:
yes because when you clay you're ripping up the coat of wax you already have on the car. always use a good sealant wax when done claying a car
Yup...

Mcguires NXT Tech wax 2.0

#7 ·
jdavis96gt said:
The clay barcant hurt your paint can it? I want to try it so bad. I'm just hesitent to do it. So I guess don't push hard and use the liquid they give u, and ill b alright?
That's exactly right.

Push too hard or not enough spray... It will "catch" on the paint and leave a slight residue. Not a big deal, just clean with a microfiber and their detailer spray (lube).

The key is to really clean it all off (detailer overspray too) before waxing. I've missed some areas and sealed in some of the residue. Ha to go back with polish / ultimate compound to get it out.

Keep in mind, dark cars will show the mistakes more easily.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

MachMan1017 said:
What should I use for hand wax? Just small microfiber pads?
(want to do by hand so there is no swirl marks, because it is my first wax.)
I don't like the microfiber applicator pads. I use the traditional terry cloth ones.

#8 ·
That's exactly right.

Push too hard or not enough spray... It will "catch" on the paint and leave a slight residue. Not a big deal, just clean with a microfiber and their detailer spray (lube).

The key is to really clean it all off (detailer overspray too) before waxing. I've missed some areas and sealed in some of the residue. Ha to go back with polish / ultimate compound to get it out.

Keep in mind, dark cars will show the mistakes more easily.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

I don't like the microfiber applicator pads. I use the traditional terry cloth ones.
+1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.