back to black wax. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
back to black wax.

So I just had my baby waxed for the first time today.there guy gave me a $100 wax job for $50 so I couldn't pass that up.they used "back to black wax" and said that it would last for atleast 8 months.

What spray wax, spray detailed and car wash soap should I use to keep it looking as good as possible while it's waxed?

How open should I spray wax and spray detail?

Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120921_125613.png
Views:	332
Size:	469.7 KB
ID:	69452

Name:	ForumRunner_20120921_125645.png
Views:	272
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	69453

Name:	ForumRunner_20120921_125721.png
Views:	248
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	69454
cheelyb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Nice ride.

I use meguiars wash.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelStander
Nice ride.

I use meguiars wash.
Thanks and I'll have to try that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

And turtle wax Ice wash too.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ice, no water spots while you're drying.

But yeah no water spots on my black baking in the sun when I washed it and dried it.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ice, no water spots while you're drying.

But yeah no water spots on my black baking in the sun when I washed it and dried it.
Yeah I don't like the water spots.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
A synthetic spray wax will often remove an underlying natural wax. If the layer of wax they used is natural then use a caranuba based natural spray wax. Turtle ice is a synthetic line. They do make natural based caranuba spray wax also.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Nice ride.

I use meguiars wash.
I do also with no complaints
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I think I actually like ice car wash better.

It can be used on any type of finish not just cars that have synthetic wax.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I used all kind if brands I think meguiar's is my favorite
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
A synthetic spray wax will often remove an underlying natural wax. If the layer of wax they used is natural then use a caranuba based natural spray wax. Turtle ice is a synthetic line. They do make natural based caranuba spray wax also.
I'll have to find out what type of back to black wax they used then.I'm not sure if it's synthetic or not.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09

I'll have to find out what type of back to black wax they used then.I'm not sure if it's synthetic or not.
I'm willing to bet it's a natural wax. But I'm sure you can find it on their website. I've seen it in stores here. I'm probably gonna try it next spring. As I've got lots of wax already.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

I'm willing to bet it's a natural wax. But I'm sure you can find it on their website. I've seen it in stores here. I'm probably gonna try it next spring. As I've got lots of wax already.
Ok really need to learn how to wax my car myself.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: back to black wax.

A garage..lol..jk..i use that turtles ice,,thats what i like the best,,but black almost immpossible to keep water spots completely off,,i fight with that all the time,,also dont use the carwash with the brushes,,it will put swirls in your paint,,for on a black car,,they got the car washes with just the water spray
Old 09-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang
A garage..lol..jk..i use that turtles ice,,thats what i like the best,,but black almost immpossible to keep water spots completely off,,i fight with that all the time,,also dont use the carwash with the brushes,,it will put swirls in your paint,,for on a black car,,they got the car washes with just the water spray
Yes it is so hard to keep a black car clean.it sucks.unusually just take it to a car wash place and let them wash it and hand dry it but I'm there like every couple of days.ughhh
Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: back to black wax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelyb09 View Post
Yes it is so hard to keep a black car clean.it sucks.unusually just take it to a car wash place and let them wash it and hand dry it but I'm there like every couple of days.ughhh
yep,,but i wouldnt want any other color,,its beautiful when shes clean
Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

yep,,but i wouldnt want any other color,,its beautiful when shes clean
Agreed. I love the black look especially when it's clean. I hate that my back alley is gravel and it dusts all over the car all the time.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like black just attracts dust ughhhhh.

Since i just got my car waxed a week ago and I washed it today.is it ok to spray it down with a spray wax or spray detailer.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Since i just got my car waxed a week ago and I washed it today.is it ok to spray it down with a spray wax or spray detailer.
Yes. The wax that you applied will cure to its hardest in 12-24 hours. Applying a layer on top won't hurt but it will remove some of the surface layer of wax.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Ok thanks.cuz I just washed it and it's not as shiney as it was when I first waxed it.

Which quick wax is the best/which one should I use.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks.cuz I just washed it and it's not as shiney as it was when I first waxed it.

Which quick wax is the best/which one should I use.

Thanks.
I like a cheap detailing spray or a caranuba quick wax. Recently I've been a big fan of simple turtle wax spray wax. I like the ice stuff but the regular caranuba is great especially if you do it at night because it gets a chance to cure. Uncured wax in daylight will evaporate before it sets up.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I've got a black SVT Cobra. I hung out a lot at Autogeek Forum and have a garage full of detailing supplies now. On there, the best over the counter quick wax is Meguiar's Ultra Quick Wax. I use that, and another one you can only buy from specialty detailer shops like Autogeek. I just can't recall the name right now. The advantage it has is it is also a UV inhibitor to protect from sun damage. Try to stay away from car washes, even touchless or DIY hand ones. The soap they use is harsh and will harm your waxed finish. Anyway I really like the results I get from Meg's Ultra Quick Wax. You use it like a detailer. Spray on, wipe off with a soft microfiber towel. And don't skimp on the towels. You will put in swirl marks from cheaper MF towels. If you wash it yourself use the two bucket method. One with your wash solution, the other to rinse off your MF mitt between washing panels. Or better yet get a soap dispensing wand attachment for your hose or pressure washer. That way you can soap it up, run your mitt over it, and then rinse. ALWAYS wash and dry in the shade or you will get water spots, especially on hot day on black cars. If the car is just dusty, not dirty then spray with soap then rinse, no mitt. The less you touch the car, the less you'll scratch it. Finally get some GOOD, plush large microfiber drying towels. Here's the trick. Lay them on a panel, like the hood or roof, pat them gently, then lift and twist the water out. By not rubbing them around you have less chance to scratch. Or better yet, use a leaf blower. Make sure it's not blowing any dust, do it in a clean driveway or street. Be very careful not to touch the car. This will blow all the water off, then using regular microfiber hand towels, get the few drops left. This is the best no touch method to drying. I know all of this sounds like a pita but if your like me, any scratches on your black car will drive you nuts. Our 96 SVT Cobra thanks to care like this from the original owner, and now us has absolutely NO dents, and minimal of swirl marks. No matter how careful you are, you will see swirl marks in the sun. And like mine you will get chips, unless you never drive it and just trailer it to shows. Before it gets too cold here in PA, which is soon, I plan to fix my noticeable chips with a DR Colorchip kit I bought. Then give it a good couple of coats of ether sealant or wax for the winter. Right now I have 3 coats of sealant on it which looks awesome when clean. And I hit it with the Meg's UQW before shows. I have all of the Meg's wax products on my shelf but I'm going to use a product called Collonite Wax for my winter coat. According to the pros at Autogeek, it's one of the hardest and longest lasting waxes out there. It was initially developed to wax the insulators on power lines, so it's meant to withstand the worst weather conditions. So I'll see how it works. One last thing I learned from AG is that wax actually attracts and holds dust, sealants do not. Because of that I'm on the fence over waxing it. My car is not a daily driver. If we have a snowy winter it will sit until spring.

You car looks awesome. Hopefully you'll head over to AG to get tips to keep it that way. Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

If you have a light layer of dust, I lightly use an original California duster on my black 12gt In between washes, the microfiber dusters just static cling to the car. I use the duster sometimes twice a day, I live in Arizona so I'm in 24/7 war with dust.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0

If you have a light layer of dust, I lightly use an original California duster on my black 12gt In between washes, the microfiber dusters just static cling to the car. I use the duster sometimes twice a day, I live in Arizona so I'm in 24/7 war with dust.
Thanks where can I buy one of those from.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiney
I've got a black SVT Cobra. I hung out a lot at Autogeek Forum and have a garage full of detailing supplies now. On there, the best over the counter quick wax is Meguiar's Ultra Quick Wax. I use that, and another one you can only buy from specialty detailer shops like Autogeek. I just can't recall the name right now. The advantage it has is it is also a UV inhibitor to protect from sun damage. Try to stay away from car washes, even touchless or DIY hand ones. The soap they use is harsh and will harm your waxed finish. Anyway I really like the results I get from Meg's Ultra Quick Wax. You use it like a detailer. Spray on, wipe off with a soft microfiber towel. And don't skimp on the towels. You will put in swirl marks from cheaper MF towels. If you wash it yourself use the two bucket method. One with your wash solution, the other to rinse off your MF mitt between washing panels. Or better yet get a soap dispensing wand attachment for your hose or pressure washer. That way you can soap it up, run your mitt over it, and then rinse. ALWAYS wash and dry in the shade or you will get water spots, especially on hot day on black cars. If the car is just dusty, not dirty then spray with soap then rinse, no mitt. The less you touch the car, the less you'll scratch it. Finally get some GOOD, plush large microfiber drying towels. Here's the trick. Lay them on a panel, like the hood or roof, pat them gently, then lift and twist the water out. By not rubbing them around you have less chance to scratch. Or better yet, use a leaf blower. Make sure it's not blowing any dust, do it in a clean driveway or street. Be very careful not to touch the car. This will blow all the water off, then using regular microfiber hand towels, get the few drops left. This is the best no touch method to drying. I know all of this sounds like a pita but if your like me, any scratches on your black car will drive you nuts. Our 96 SVT Cobra thanks to care like this from the original owner, and now us has absolutely NO dents, and minimal of swirl marks. No matter how careful you are, you will see swirl marks in the sun. And like mine you will get chips, unless you never drive it and just trailer it to shows. Before it gets too cold here in PA, which is soon, I plan to fix my noticeable chips with a DR Colorchip kit I bought. Then give it a good couple of coats of ether sealant or wax for the winter. Right now I have 3 coats of sealant on it which looks awesome when clean. And I hit it with the Meg's UQW before shows. I have all of the Meg's wax products on my shelf but I'm going to use a product called Collonite Wax for my winter coat. According to the pros at Autogeek, it's one of the hardest and longest lasting waxes out there. It was initially developed to wax the insulators on power lines, so it's meant to withstand the worst weather conditions. So I'll see how it works. One last thing I learned from AG is that wax actually attracts and holds dust, sealants do not. Because of that I'm on the fence over waxing it. My car is not a daily driver. If we have a snowy winter it will sit until spring.

You car looks awesome. Hopefully you'll head over to AG to get tips to keep it that way. Spiney-Dave
Thanks for all the great tips.I'll have to check out autogeek.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I found mine at O'reilly, cost was 20 or so bucks.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
All the major auto supply places carry them. The key is like he said, LIGHTLY. If not it will scratch the car. Some people swear at them, but when I go to shows or even see concours shows from Pebble Beach, Monterey, etc they all have them even on the very big bucks cars. I use it so it barely touches the car, let the static properties lift the dust off the car.
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing