Chips in paint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Chips in paint

So I recently got a cpo '12 v6 convertible and have now noticed 2 chips on the hood and one on the side. Is fixing this diy possible? I am looking to gain as much diy experience as possible so if i can do it i would like to. What do yall think?
Ryanjcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjcain View Post
So I recently got a cpo '12 v6 convertible and have now noticed 2 chips on the hood and one on the side. Is fixing this diy possible? I am looking to gain as much diy experience as possible so if i can do it i would like to. What do yall think?
If the chips are very minor, then filling them with touch-up paint is probably better than paying to have the whole panel repainted.

Look around on the forum, or on Google, there are lots of guides to properly filling a chip with touch-up paint.

The basics are, clean thoroughly with diluted isopropyl alcohol, mask the area around the chip with painter's masking tape (leaves less residue) and use a toothpick or other very small pointy item to place microscopic amounts of the touch-up paint into the chip until it is just filled. If you try to put big drops in, you'll end up with a big bubble of paint sticking up over the surface. So, fill slowly with microscopic amounts.

Good Luck!
--
FluxPrism
FluxPrism is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing