Front Windshield Tint - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Front Windshield Tint

Lately I have been thinking on tinting my front windshield. Has anybody already done this? If so, how dark and how is the visibility through the day and night? Not to worried about getting pulled over and I know it's illegal but I honestly think it looks good.
phobik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I personally wouldn't do it. It's illegal for a reason. It may look good, but it's not worth the risk to yourself out anyone else on the road. Just my 2¢.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
I personally wouldn't do it. It's illegal for a reason. It may look good, but it's not worth the risk to yourself out anyone else on the road. Just my 2¢.
Well even tinting ur side windows is illegal and Its still done. I've been seeing it lately on cars and it looks good but I was just curious to know how good or bad the visibility is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Side windows are illegal depending on the tint percentage. I think of tinting the front windshield the same as driving at night with sunglasses on. Even a very light tint doesn't seem like much until the sun goes down.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
If you're gonna do it go 15% on sided and 35% on windshield
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNO
Lately I have been thinking on tinting my front windshield. Has anybody already done this? If so, how dark and how is the visibility through the day and night? Not to worried about getting pulled over and I know it's illegal but I honestly think it looks good.
Yeah I may get mine tinted to reduce the glare and the UV from destroying my interior they got some that is 90% clear but it blocks all UV and reduces glare.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

Yeah I may get mine tinted to reduce the glare and the UV from destroying my interior they got some that is 90% clear but it blocks all UV and reduces glare.
I just want it dark enough for no one to see inside or see me Lol
Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
We did my friends fusion windshield. We did a 2 on the front. I'm going to do mines also but not yet, waiting till I get other stuff done
Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have 5 all around and 50 on my entire windshield. Ill post pics a little later. I wouldn't go any darker than 50 on the windshield. People looking in cant see past the end of the dashboard but I can see crystal clear outwards.
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

I just want it dark enough for no one to see inside or see me Lol
Haha I'd go 20% on the sides then and 50% on the front windshield then
Old 10-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
+1. The rationale and disregard for others is disappointing. To each his own though. My 2 cents. I hope I raise my kids to have better judgement though.
3dStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

I wouldn't go below 20 on the sides but this newer clearer tint makes it possible to see out pretty well
Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
I have 5% all the way around my entire windshield done at 35% and a 12 inch 5% brow the side windows are not bad at night at all and my windshield is dark enough at night but not dark enough where I can't see anything i love the way mine is setup I have a buddy that has his windshield done in all 20% and that is to dark at night I've had multiple people ask if my windsheild is still tinted because that can't even tell from the inside
Blackedout03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I know someone who is allergic to sunlight (no joke) and he has to have 2 cars. One has 10% tint on the windshield and 5% on everything else. (with a rear curtain and rear side window curtains. In case he gets in trouble.) He still has to wear gloves full sleeves and a hat. His night car has 5 on everything and the front has a 50. I really feel bad for the guy. He got stranded a year ago and had to spend 4 hours in his car because he couldn't get help. He literally bursts into rash in 3 seconds of exposure and anything over a minute is potentially lethal! He gets pulled over a lot but he's got all the prescriptions.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Get 5% on the the sides and 50% on the windshield
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
I know someone who is allergic to sunlight (no joke) and he has to have 2 cars. One has 10% tint on the windshield and 5% on everything else. (with a rear curtain and rear side window curtains. In case he gets in trouble.) He still has to wear gloves full sleeves and a hat. His night car has 5 on everything and the front has a 50. I really feel bad for the guy. He got stranded a year ago and had to spend 4 hours in his car because he couldn't get help. He literally bursts into rash in 3 seconds of exposure and anything over a minute is potentially lethal! He gets pulled over a lot but he's got all the prescriptions.
Oh man wow that's crazy
Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Damn, that sucks. I take back my comment for this dude.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have a friend with 50 on his vettes windshield and it looks sweet! Also you can barely tell from the inside.
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post
Exactly my thoughts, and God forbid you get in a wreck. Insurance companies and other parties will look toward anything they can use to throw the book at you. Tinted windshield is a big one.
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1707919758.jpg
Views:	3601
Size:	815.4 KB
ID:	72329

Here is 50% looking out on an overcast sky. Looks nearly exactly as a windshield with no tint. All the naysayers that have never done it have no room to talk. Just my .02
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	image-663594207.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	933.3 KB
ID:	72331

And here's 5% looking out on said sky. Ill do some night shots too when it gets dark
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine

Here is 50% looking out on an overcast sky. Looks nearly exactly as a windshield with no tint. All the naysayers that have never done it have no room to talk. Just my .02
+10000 here's my buddy's with a level 2

Name:	image-258933366.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	72332
Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine

I haven't done it for legal and safety reasons, but of course I think a dark tint looks awesome. My only point of reference is from various cars I've had tint on and the darker you go the worse I can see at night (i.e less safe). Let me know if their is some brand of tint that's similar to a one sided mirror that looks dark on the outside but crystal clear looking out. If this products exist Ill be that guy with a big foam number one on my hand cheering everyone on to buy it.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
Attachment 72329

Not arguing with you on how it looks or your visibility or any other point on this topic. All I am saying, if ***** hits the fan, they (powers that be) will use anything they can in their defense, including a highly ILLEGAL tinted windsheild.
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Quote:
You can also get some type of paper work for your dark tint if you have or have had skin cancer .. Might be only for melanoma though ..
Old 10-15-2012, 03:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You should also take into account that it affects how the window breaks and how you see through it. The tint can alter the angular reflectance of the windshield giving you distorted vision.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I have just the top portion tinted and its awesome. Looks great and protects my interior
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I have 35% on my front windshield. Cuts down sun glare. Not too dark at night, just because I have a good set of HIDs. Looks good too.
98GTCONV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine View Post
I have 5 all around and 50 on my entire windshield. Ill post pics a little later. I wouldn't go any darker than 50 on the windshield. People looking in cant see past the end of the dashboard but I can see crystal clear outwards.
I had 35% all the way around and 50% on the windshield. Looked great, visibility was clear and you couldnt see into especially at night.
alloy427r is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing