Plasti Dip Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Plasti Dip Question

Nice you've sprayed it on. Say if you want to touch up a spot or something. What does plasti dip look like if you spray it over already dried plasti dip? Does it blend in or just look like total *****? I know the stuff is cheap but im lazy and don't wanna peel it off and tape off again lol.

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Suspension: H&R SuperSport Springs, KYB Shocks & Struts
JetLife 01GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It won't look well
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Well, might as well just try it. The worst case scenario, you'll have to pull it off and redo it.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Go to dipyourcar.com they have something that reliquifies the plasti dip, so if there is like a spot with texture on it you rub it in until it is smooth and then give everything 1 more coat.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/product.p...0&cat=5&page=1
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I'm pretty experienced with plasti-dip and I'd say that it usually doesn't look very well on top of already dried plasti-dip, but if you want to avoid redoing whatever the part is, tape off as much of the surround area that does not need painting as well and do quick, little spits of it. It won't look new, but better than it peeling off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121027_101523.png
Views:	226
Size:	665.5 KB
ID:	73709   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121027_101609.png
Views:	172
Size:	789.8 KB
ID:	73710  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121027_101742.png
Views:	145
Size:	841.6 KB
ID:	73711  
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Doing my stock wheels next week, for the first time. I have spent a lot of time watching videos on dipyourcar.com but I still worry about my bolts. I don't want to gum them up, or my lugs. Any tips?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Take the wheels off, it makes it so much easier ^
Old 10-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, I will.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
My recommendation for that is get a fair amount of painters tape and tape around where the wheel meets the tire. But don't make it snug against the rim and tire. You want to make the seal between the rim and plasti dip. If the tape is touching the rim it will form to the rim plasti dip, and when you try to pull off the tape you potentially can ruin the seal with the rim. So just make sure the tape isn't touching the rim, but tape the tire around the rim well. Having an exacto knife or razor blade might not be a bad idea to have on hand when removing the tape. Just to make sure that if it starts to come with the tape, it will stop. Also, don't be afraid to give it 4 coats and maybe even 5. I did 3 and my tires are holding up pretty well, but I wish I had done 4-5. Also, make sure that you shoot the plasti dip at the rim in all angles so that you don't miss any bond between the RAM and a plasti dip. The bond is the most important part. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I need to better explain something. Love the product plasti dip!
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
My recommendation for that is get a fair amount of painters tape and tape around where the wheel meets the tire. But don't make it snug against the rim and tire. You want to make the seal between the rim and plasti dip. If the tape is touching the rim it will form to the rim plasti dip, and when you try to pull off the tape you potentially can ruin the seal with the rim. So just make sure the tape isn't touching the rim, but tape the tire around the rim well. Having an exacto knife or razor blade might not be a bad idea to have on hand when removing the tape. Just to make sure that if it starts to come with the tape, it will stop. Also, don't be afraid to give it 4 coats and maybe even 5. I did 3 and my tires are holding up pretty well, but I wish I had done 4-5. Also, make sure that you shoot the plasti dip at the rim in all angles so that you don't miss any bond between the RAM and a plasti dip. The bond is the most important part. Let me know if you have any other questions or if I need to better explain something. Love the product plasti dip!
Index cards bro... put them between the rim and the tire, so much easier. Everything else you covered is spot on.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'll just peel it off sometime and redo it. Too lazy to mess with it this weekend

Engine/Drivetrain: SCT iTSX with BAMA 91 Race Tune, Airaid CAI, JBA O/R H-Pipe, SLP Power-Flo Catback, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Flywheel

Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Right on!

How many cans should I be prepped with?

Also, how long do YOU recommend between coats? And the same for cure/dry time after the final coat?

Also, given my jackstand situation I MAY have to do one or two wheels at a time.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I usually hear about 4 cans does the job. 1 can per wheel. Maybe grab an extra can just to be safe. I haven't done my own wheels myself tho so don't hold me to that

Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
I usually hear about 4 cans does the job. 1 can per wheel. Maybe grab an extra can just to be safe. I haven't done my own wheels myself tho so don't hold me to that
I'll probably play it safe. Let me know how you go, if you go before me.

I'll be doing mine next week if all goes to plan.
Mkolabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLife 01GT View Post
I've never heard that, i've heard that it usually takes 2 at most, hell i know someone who did his 17s and took him 1 can. Depending on your size of wheel, but i think 4 cans would still be too much for even 20s.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin
Doing my stock wheels next week, for the first time. I have spent a lot of time watching videos on dipyourcar.com but I still worry about my bolts. I don't want to gum them up, or my lugs. Any tips?
Don't take your wheels off, tape off the brakes any extra that gets on the tire just peels right off. Much easier than taking each wheel off.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkolabin
Right on!

How many cans should I be prepped with?

Also, how long do YOU recommend between coats? And the same for cure/dry time after the final coat?

Also, given my jackstand situation I MAY have to do one or two wheels at a time.
I did my stock 17s with 3 cans that's 3 coasts piece. I did a coat on the left front the. Left rear then right front then right rear then started back at the left front Bout the time you get back to it it will be dry.
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
I've never heard that, i've heard that it usually takes 2 at most, hell i know someone who did his 17s and took him 1 can. Depending on your size of wheel, but i think 4 cans would still be too much for even 20s.
https://www.dipyourcar.com/pages.php?pageid=23

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing