Matte Black VS Gloss Black - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Matte Black VS Gloss Black

So which one do you guys prefer and why? Now this is particular driven towards wheels, stripes, and other small exterior accessories. What color is going to appear better with the Mustang being a Race Red 13' GT? Give me your .02 on what finish of black and why.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer
So which one do you guys prefer and why? Now this is particular driven towards wheels, stripes, and other small exterior accessories. What color is going to appear better with the Mustang being a Race Red 13' GT? Give me your .02 on what finish of black and why.
Not a big fan of matte black but its popular right now. If done right, it looks great. On race red, Id do gloss black all day because they contrast so well. I think gloss is more difficult to keep looking good, but stripes shouldnt be a problem. Ive got painted gloss black wheels and so far just waxing them is working, but Ive only had them 6 months & no winter yet (on a DD).
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer
I have a race red 11' GT and everything from stripes to louvers are gloss black. No way I could do matt with that color.

I am looking to plastidip the entire car and it will be plastidipped matt black and white
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I really like the matte stripe combo with my wheels. Just looks mean!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1673645774.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	585.8 KB
ID:	74241   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3397040589.jpg
Views:	4949
Size:	529.9 KB
ID:	74242  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3742683453.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	74243  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I've got race red also with gloss stripes . Matt looks good but I think the gloss is a cleaner look .
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just minor things I would do Matt black... Y, because I like the the look of having minor details in a flat color... I would not do a 3 ft stripe down the center in Matt black...
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

I have a race red 11' GT and everything from stripes to louvers are gloss black. No way I could do matt with that color.

I am looking to plastidip the entire car and it will be plastidipped matt black and white
I've also got a Race Red '11 GT and I prefer matte black but with no stick on's. louvers, scoops, etc. I will soon have some all matte black wheels.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
For the stripe, I like gloss. As some one else said, shine with shine looks good. And matte is a lot harder to maintain than gloss.

At least, reading about BMWs with matte paint, they are very easily ruined.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
For the stripe, I like gloss. As some one else said, shine with shine looks good. And matte is a lot harder to maintain than gloss.

At least, reading about BMWs with matte paint, they are very easily ruined.
Matte black does lose its luster after a few months in the sun. :/
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
It depends what wheels you like. If matte, go matte stripes, and vice versa.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Not a big fan of matte black but its popular right now. If done right, it looks great. On race red, Id do gloss black all day because they contrast so well. I think gloss is more difficult to keep looking good, but stripes shouldnt be a problem. Ive got painted gloss black wheels and so far just waxing them is working, but Ive only had them 6 months & no winter yet (on a DD).
Agree - I went with gloss black rims and vinyls on my Race Red '12 - I think it looks good. I also shine the black plastic trim as well.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
On your situation and color I would go with the charocoal AMR.Mine are Charocoal but may not look like it in my sig pic.I am fixing to switch another style drift or 2010 GT500.If you was in NC we could find out for sure. GLW whatever you do man.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang

On your situation and color I would go with the charocoal AMR.Mine are Charocoal but may not look like it in my sig pic.I am fixing to switch another style drift or 2010 GT500.If you was in NC we could find out for sure. GLW whatever you do man.
+1 for the charcoal!!!!
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Ford Mustang | Wrenching, Care and General Topics > Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing